Notices

Oil blow by turbine side...... out of ideas

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil blow by turbine side...... out of ideas

Just finished up a DIY turbo kit. Started it up and basically filled the garage up with smoke. I bought the turbo of ebay, supposebly fresh rebuild. Its a garrett .48 turbine, .60 compressor off a ford svo, with a dodge center section, oil and water cooled. It has small bit of play, not sure if that is normal.

First, i found out that my oil return was suppose to be no more then 30 from vertical, oooops, lots of research done, missed that one so fixed that, figured it would help, nope.

So, next was to check that the oil could escape into the pan, its a canton racing pan. So i hooked up some clear tubing, and it was fine, except i was pushing a ton of oil out. So i did some restricting, and it got better. then i wnet to a local turbo shop, and got a new piston ring, to see if that was an issue. But again, no help.

Lastly, i bought a needle valve restrictor, and put that right before the turbo, had minimal oil going through it, and still smoked, not nearly as bad, but still, shouldn't it be dry??

I am wondering if my line is way too big, but the restrictor should have fixed that anyways.

Any suggestions thus far would be great.... i'm losing my mind. Thinking about going NA after a recent track day, that i ripped everything off to make.

Can anyone explain, or show me a site that shows how oil is controlled in the turbo. the best i can find is the piston ring, and then air pressure difference. Is there anything else i may have hurt by pushing soo much oil in there. Any other seals?? No oil was coming out my compressor side.

I really want to get this sucker on, and tune it, i have spent way too much money to do this right, and here i am, prolly cuz i bought a ebay turbo.....