Notices

Obd1 ecu & boost

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2002, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Obd1 ecu & boost

I see alot of the all motor guys using just a obd1 ecu and a tuned chip. You know lke the Mugen, Spoon, Skunk, etc. Why can't you burn a turbo map onto a chip?
It makes life sooo much easier. Almost what the Hondata does now but without the blue interface box.
Old 12-29-2002, 09:58 PM

Default Re: Obd1 ecu & boost (PressurizedSi)

Because the stock ecu doesn't like to see MAP signals that say
'boost'.

You could do just what you are saying with a 3-bar map sensor, and
bigger injectors, BUT you still need a chip.

Good luck finding a chip, and one that will cost less than Hondata.

Jeffrey Atwood
Old 12-29-2002, 09:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Obd1 ecu & boost (PressurizedSi)

Turbo and N/A are 2 completely different ball games. Your stock ecu cannot see boost, if it does it will freak out. The chipped ECU's you are talking about are usually for stock applications or ones with a few bolt ons such as header, intake, exhaust, and MAYBE cams. Turbo is completely different. Not one turbo application will be consistent when compared to others. Not only do you have to worry about air/fuel ratio's, you have to worry about specific ignition timing and when retarding it is necessary. Too much timing and you can kiss your motor goodbye. When tuning a turbocharged motor, it is best to tune the motor without boost then slowly tune it by adding small increments of boost. And when you throw in the equation of having different pistons, turbo's, injectors, valvetrains, displacement........ well you get the idea. All these things will further complicate in trying to have a universal "tuned chip." Yes, hondata does provide a base map for their systems, but they are called a base map for a reason. I had a map sent for my set up and when it was installed on the car the ignition was extremely advanced, it ran extremely lean, and it had detonation written all over it. I hope that helps

[Modified by GudeH23a, 1:59 AM 12/30/2002]
Old 12-30-2002, 06:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Obd1 ecu & boost (GudeH23a)

I am using a Hasport chipped turbo program which is basically like a skunk2 program without the timing and it gained alot of power for me. It doesnt work like a standalone but it does what its supposed to do.