Notices

need some help on setting up a water intercooler setup

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2002, 01:40 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need some help on setting up a water intercooler setup

I'm contemplating a water intercooler for my next turbo setup. Have searched both honda-tech and other websites and can't find much info on this stuff at all. Just have a couple questions for anyone that has done it:

1 - On the smaller spearo core, what kind of fittings does it have for the water inlet and outlet? AN or pipe thread?

2 - Will the smallest spearo core, which is 13" x 9" x 3.5" with endtanks, be enough for a 14-20 psi?

3 - What should I go for in terms of a radiator for it? I'll have a civic sized radiator (this is for my 2nd gen teg) and a fairly small oil cooler, no AC condsensor, power steering cooler, or AC line up front.

4 - Will an AEM EMS be able to control this well? I know I'd be able to put the water pump on a relay and have the EMS turn it on whenever I'm boosting. Or should the pump run all the time? If it only ran during boost is there a way with the AEM to continue running the pump for a set period of time after boosting to cool the water down?

5 - How big of water tank should I have? Would there be enough room where the stock resonator is (right in front of the passenger wheel well)?

6 - Any advice on whether I should do this or just go with an air intercooler. I'm going for a complete sleeper and want the best performace I can get. It sounds like a water intercooler is the best way to go for an all out race system, but will it work well enough on a street car?