Notices

Need advice for future build

Old 07-25-2013, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice for future build

Hello so to start off I am planning on doing a turbo build on a budget but want reliability as my civic will be my dd except for the winter then I get to bust out the corolla hatch , but anyway I have a 98ex d16y8 with 166k miles.
So basically I wanna do a turbo build and I have the turbo kit already its an edlebrock kit with what I was told a gtr28 or better known as the disco potato to the drift scene.
But as I was planning on getting the whole thing set up so it'll be ready before the time I have to go back to school I kinda got afraid of the milage on my current SOHC btw it has rebuilt crank with new bearings.

So anyway I wanted to push 8lbs @ around 200hp but I thought **** it now I wanna get a b18b1 and turbo that.
Basically the what will I how much will I need to spend to go through with it, I have the kit as stated before so I will only need to get a new header to fit the b series, but how much would the engine swap cost.

Also the kit came with a intake manifold so would I need to ditch that and get a different one or would it fit the b series.

Wow ill be surprised if anyway didnt get confused reading this and also I don't want to have to spend no more then 1500 for the swap.

Thx guys
Side note if I sold the d series with i/h/e mods how much think I'd get 300-500?
Old 07-25-2013, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need advice for future build

forgot to mention I don't really plan on going for a ls/vtec build cuz I would most likely half *** that and vtec isn't to important to me if I have the turbo
Old 07-25-2013, 09:28 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Your entire post is basically a "how much is it worth" question. There's a sticky for that, but since I've already typed out an answer, I'll just leave this header here and answer your questions.

You'll need a new manifold, not a header. The GT28RS uses a standard T25 flange, so a manifold for a B swap would be easy to find. Yes, you will need a new manifold. You will also need upgraded injectors, so finding a complete LS long block would be your best bet.

You can get an OBD2 GSR from HMO for about two grand. You'll need a transmission (~$500 for one in good shape with paperwork, ~$900 for an LSD transmission with paperwork), axles, a 2 post driver's side mount, a rear T bracket mount out of an SI ($75 from HAP), and the AC compressor bracket off a B20 CRV (also $75 from HAP). If you buy everything ready to drop in, you're looking at about three thousand. If you shop around, spend smart, and aren't afraid to rebuild an old or more neglected engine and/or transmission, you can have it done for under or around two. New T25 turbo mani, you have options from $150 to $1500.

A complete D, with transmission and ~160k on it would probably get you $500-$600.

You'll have to do a lot of begging and bartering to get a turbo LS swap for under $1500. I'm in the middle of the same thing, in the same chassis, and my parts list has me around three grand total, but I'm also aiming for more power and running forged internals. You can do it, you'll just have to pinch pennies and not waste a dime.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok that's weird that the exhaust manifold for the d series kit would work for the b series, the guy I bought it from used it on a z6 and I got the injectors.
My kit is complete piping bov etc just need new gaskets as im cleaning all the grime and dust off the pipes and what not.

Now the ac bracket, i don't have AC in my car now and probably won't be running it when i get the turbo on either motor so does that mean i still need the b20 AC bracket (im guessing not but would like someone to tell me anyway)

and as far as the transmission goes I was just planning on using a gsr one with the ls engine, and HMO is sold out of b18b1 i checked before i posted the thread i was thinking of going with Craigslist or eBay for the motor or trans then get the rest of the swap parts off of a site like jc whitney

and rebuilding wouldn't be to bad so long as it's nothing bottom end cause I hate working down there
Old 07-26-2013, 04:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

In my opinion, you should take the money that you were going to use for the swap, and build the D-series. I'm pretty sure there are piston/rod combos for 500-600, and for the price of a b-series and swap, you could probably also build the valve train too. You could make the same amount of power if you build the motor you have, with forged internals which will help with reliability over a stock LS. But that's just my opinion. Something to think about before you go spend the money on a B-series swap, when you could use that money to build the D-series. Also, if you're looking for only 200whp, I think the b-series swap is unnecessary. The D-series motors have potential when they're built, look at the turbo SOHC build thread and get an idea of what people are running and power they're making.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea im a member of d-series.org and the numbers some of those guys push is just insane, but honestly building the sohc never even crossed my mind and i would love the thought of running a bad *** d series so ill look into it then definitely
Old 07-26-2013, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, just saying because its not like your goal is some insane power number. Just thought I'd throw it out there