turbo specialties turbos

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 05:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo specialties turbos

hey wats good. i got a 99 si wit a b16a2 in it. i want to start boostin in the next month. ive been looking around and alot of people say not to but a full turbo kit like the greddy or drag or w/e. but i found a turbo kit on prostreet online for 1500 and its just a basic starter kit can anyone give me some feedback about it. if anyone has used it before or knows someon who did. and how is the craftsmanship of it. i dont want to spend 1500 on it get put it on and it be the biggest piece of **** o here is the link thanks for your time
http://prostreetonline.com/buy..._kits/
Old 05-11-2006, 08:02 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that's quite a lot of money without really getting much...you could piece that kit together for less than $500.....
Old 05-11-2006, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo specialties turbos (mtownsi)

bump
Old 05-11-2006, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Schister66)

ok im kinda a noob to turbo setups so exaxtly wat do i need other then the turbo and manifold? and wat are the cheapest places to get the parts?
Old 05-11-2006, 04:19 PM
SWC

Default Re: turbo specialties turbos (mtownsi)

I'm using their kit with custom fmic on my D16 motor. I bought the kit from them used for really good deal but ended up spend much more money for fmic, injectors, fuel pump, chipped ecu(crome), custom tuning, etc. So I'm using half of their kit and half of my own stuff.
Overall quality/drivability is very nice! No leaks, no burning oils, no cracks or anything. And running like factory smoothness. The only thing I don't like it is lack of top end power. But that's because of small size of turbo, not the kit. So if you are not looking for big power monster and keep factory like smooth decent power, this kit is good choice.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo specialties turbos (SWC)

bump
Old 05-13-2006, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 05-13-2006, 03:18 PM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lets jus put it this way....you could build something yourself for less money....if you know what to look for
Old 05-13-2006, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Schister66)

well maybe u could give me some tips on wat to look for and how bout ebay i seen turbos on there for like 170 but there used wats ur opinons on buying off ebay
Old 05-13-2006, 04:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mtownsi)

XS Power right? Hehe, unless you want a turbo that is glued together I would not purchase it..... remember, you get what you pay for.
Old 05-13-2006, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (96 GSR-T)

ebay is hit or miss. I've heard of people getting screwed, i got a good turbo, feel i paid fair for it, and it came as was stated. My friend, also got a good turbo. So, its up to you. I personaly pieced my kit together pretty much off ebay, minus what i bought new. I feel mine is a sucess personaly.
Old 05-13-2006, 08:31 PM

I am also looking into getting a turbo. I have been researching, and trust me, taking your time and learning about what you need will help you pick the right parts. Takes time and patient, but in the end, it is all worth it.
Old 05-14-2006, 03:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mtownsi
ok im kinda a noob to turbo setups so exaxtly wat do i need other then the turbo and manifold? and wat are the cheapest places to get the parts?
/Parot voice on
You will get what you pay for. What are your hp goals?? What type of driving do you do? Street, strip, both??
/Parot voice off

These will tell you what you need in a kit.....
http://www.cse.uconn.edu/~yele....html
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1263795

Budget turbos:

1) Garrett t3 turbos (depends on where you get them, you can get one from a junkyard but you need to know what to look for as far as if the turbo is in decent shape) will work fine, or a used t3/t4 from a reputable person.
-These will support anywhere from 280 (t3) -480hp (larger t3/t4 hydrid) depending which one you get.

2) If you are not trying to break any records and have a budget type build then you might want to try a kkk (borg warner) turbo, these come on audi's and other cars. I would try a k27 (the model number). I am thinking of maybe using one of these on my sohc.
-Search for these here on h-t or on google, they will support from just above 300hp to 400hp from what I have read.

3) Holset turbos. I have one on my gsr right now and will be gettin it tuned here shortly. The hy35 is what I have and would be fine for your b16. Or you could use the hx30. Check out ebay for these turbos, they are often on there used and in decent shape. Use some common sense when looking at any used turbo.
-These will support ~350hp for the hx30 to ~550

These are all dependant on what kind of hp you will want and power curve characteristics.

You said you wanted a starter kit. The easiest way is to buy a kit. Or you can start reading and learn what pieces would be right for you. It will take a long time, but in the end you will know what to pick and why you are picking it. A good source for building your own kit is also http://www.homemadeturbo.com

Here is a couple of links for learning some more technical info about turbos
http://www.turbobygarrett.com/....html
http://www.turbocompressori.ne...s.htm

A couple of links to figure out how to read compressor maps (this will help you pick a turbo).....
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=142398
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=96443

Start with an hp goal, then find out if your goal is plausible. Pick a turbo properly matched to your engine/goal, turbo manifold, etc...... There is sooooooo much more than this, but this will give you a good start. If I were you I would learn most of the stuff in the links provided before I ever bought one part for my kit (although these links will predomanantly explain what is in a kit and how to decipher compressor maps). You will still need to learn a LOT more. Make sure you list all the parts you will need and then go one by one and learn about them. This will help you pick which parts will best serve your goals. Don't forget engine management and a good tuner. This is very important!

BTW - Most of these links can be found in the FAQ's up on top of the Forced Induction forum. It is good practice to look there then if you don't find what you want then do a search (don't forget to check the archived button as most of what you want to know has probably been covered years ago and many, many times) and lastly if you can't find the answer make a new thread. I hope this has been somewhat helpful. Good luck.

Old 05-15-2006, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its a daily driver. i want 250 to 300 whp. i race everyday wenever someone challanges me so ill be beatin on it . and i try to get to to the track atleast once a month thanks for the help every1
Old 05-18-2006, 08:10 AM
SWC

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mtownsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its a daily driver. i want 250 to 300 whp. i race everyday wenever someone challanges me so ill be beatin on it . and i try to get to to the track atleast once a month thanks for the help every1</TD></TR></TABLE>
I think that none of the aftermarket bolt on kits offer your power goal. You should make your own kit and custom tune with wideband.