Notices

NA vs Blower

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2001, 12:23 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NA vs Blower

Why does it seem that so many NA Tegs are turning the same times as blower TEgs? I'm currently on the NA route, but the thought of torque is alluring. I don't want to build a B20 as I already have a B18C motor. Any thoughts?

What are the maintenance issues associated with blowers? Belts slipping, over-heating, etc.

Can you drive a blower car at a track school without issues?
Old 11-19-2001, 12:26 PM
New User

Default Re: NA vs Blower (Chuckles)

*fart*
Old 11-19-2001, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

basically, superchargers are ***.
Old 11-19-2001, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Why does it seem that so many NA Tegs are turning the same times as blower TEgs? I'm currently on the NA route, but the thought of torque is alluring. I don't want to build a B20 as I already have a B18C motor. Any thoughts?
What are the maintenance issues associated with blowers? Belts slipping, over-heating, etc.Can you drive a blower car at a track school without issues?

Due to parasitic loss of power due to the blower assembly - the blower equipped car is slower initially until positive boost pressure is created - by then the NA car is ahead. But I suppose your observations are those of stock cars with blowers vs. fully built NA cars.

Superchargers have different powerband characteristics depending on their design. You basically can get centifugal types (Vortech) or Roots type (Jackson). Both are available on the market right now - but both have fitment and quality issues that are well known.

In a perfect world - a supercharger makes sense. They work well in most applications. But as far as bang for the buck goes - you are much better off in the turbo department if you choose to go FI. Boost is not easily increased btw due to the fact that it is dictated by the pulley size. Turbo guys just have to turn a dial in comparison. That's why there's the overwhelming opinion that turbos are better....

Any forced induction motor will be heat sensitive - i.e. power will decrease as ambient and underhood temperatures rise. They are also more finicky from a cooling and fuel management standpoint than an NA car. This is especially true at the track where long periods of WOT application can occur. Otherwise reliability issues under severe load are your main concerns when bringing an FI car to the track.

I think that a well designed and installed blower should kick NA *** given similar internal pieces. Most NA guys change the internals to ultralight forged components to help reduce the weight of the rotating assembly. If you were to do the same changes for the FI car - your results would be remarkable.

[Modified by Big Phat R, 3:37 PM 11/19/2001]
Old 11-19-2001, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NA vs Blower (Big Phat R)

Plus for NA to match a FI car's speed it costs 3x as much.
Old 11-19-2001, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: NA vs Blower (Etylorcen)

Well when you consider the risks of FI - blown motors, charred pistons etc etc the costs usually amount to the same.

The problem with FI guys is that there is never "enough" power and hence they push the envelope and ...well you know...
Old 11-19-2001, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: NA vs Blower (TurboInteg95)

basically, superchargers are ***.
Have you ever driver/owned one? Probably not. And definately not at 12psi. Dont hate if you havent had first hand experience.

Blowers are very nice for street driven performance. I loved mine. That thing had the best throttle response. It made 275whp @12psi. 8.8:1 compress on an otherwise stock B18c motor. That thing was vertually maintanence free. If it would have made more power, I would have kept it. Looking for 10s now...It ran 12s in a 2400lb car on street tires.
Old 11-19-2001, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

NA is very stressful and they blow motors all the time!
it does cost more!
Old 11-19-2001, 04:07 PM
New User

Big Phat R~ Thanks for taking the time to actually reply to my question.

Here is why I ask! As stated, I've gone about as far as I can with my NA set-up and it is time to **** or get off the pot! I've purchased a used B18C bottom end to build for high-compression, but I've been thinking about alternatives. I CAN NOT do a turbo as I have no self-control when it comes to a boost controller. Yes, it will produce more power, but it isn't for me! Just too tempting. This is why my thoughts have turned to a blower. Seems many of you are not fond of them, but here is my reasoning;

#1. I've spent almost $5G for my current NA set-up and I'm making right at 195whp/130 tq. Great numbers for NA but a lot of f*ckin'money. If I sell most of this stuff, I can buy a used blower easily with the money.

#2. My spare block is getting pistons and rods anyway, just have to decide if I want high-compression(12.5:1) or low(10:1)! Figure I don't need to sleeve the block since a I wouldn't be going over 10psi with a blower.

#3. I already own a stand-alone.

#4. Fixed pulley, so I can't crank up the boost as easily!

Just seems that about 205-210whp is about the peak for a 81-81.5mm B18C block NA. That seems to be the norm, but with this being my daily driver reliability is essential. I figure I can put a blower on and easily make 200-220whp out the box with proper fuel management & exhaust system. (I already own a 2.5" system)With upgraded pulley(CRV), 9-10 psi , maybe 240-260whp with good tuning. Just seems that I could get more bang for less buck!

Thing is, can I drive it on the road course! I'm really worried about heat soak & detonation during a 20-30 minute session. I know Rboosted ran his at the ITR Expo with no problems. Just worries me!

More opinions?

Old 11-19-2001, 07:21 PM
Trial User

I have a gsr with jsrc. Power is jump from stock is quite nice. But the main reason I pick the supercharger was for better daily drivability...instant torque is a WONDERFUL thing. If you want nothing but power to blow people away at the track then turbo would be your best friend...Yes, either route you take, there will be a little maintenance here and there (like changing belts, rebuilding turbo etc...) But if you want to play, gotta pay.