My time has come, getting an EMS

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2002, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: My time has come, getting an EMS (liam821)

EMS..... .......get it? had it for the R then got rid of it for Hondata......
Hondata =
Old 10-20-2002, 10:18 PM

Default Re: My time has come, getting an EMS (Type-ARR)

Hondata =
why for soo many ?? can you give me a better explaination?? because i am looking into a hondata s200 but the ems seems to have more tunning capabilities plus its a full standalone unit.
Old 10-20-2002, 11:16 PM

Default Re: My time has come, getting an EMS (R-1303)

the aem ems is a little bit more crazy than the hondata...

i have the aem ems and i love the fact that u can control everything.

plus by the time next summer rolls around aem will have even better stuff for it.

i went aem becasue my tuner felt more comfortable with the aem ems but i have heard nothing but good things with the hondata.

they are both good.

Old 10-20-2002, 11:36 PM

AEM EMS blows the Hondata away...too complicated??? if u don't know wtf ur doing of course! tuning isn't for dumbasses...the more u can control, the more power u have to harness....Hondata=burning chips for every change seems primitive and a pain in the ***! W/ the EMS all u need is a laptop, some dyno time...and KNOWLEDGE! Get the EMS kid....the basemaps and upgrades are downloadable and good enuff to get ur car runnin and to the dyno....then key in the changes for ur mods, its not as bad as evrybody is saying....u'll regret Hondata in the future wen u reach its limits....
Old 10-20-2002, 11:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My time has come, getting an EMS (tegpilot)

<-- Still happy with the EMS
Old 10-21-2002, 07:14 AM
New User

Default Re: My time has come, getting an EMS (dustin)

<-- happier with the EMS than I am with my engine at the moment
(warped cylinder head sucks)

Old 10-21-2002, 07:50 AM

Default Re: My time has come, getting an EMS (ekb18c)

The best advice that I'm going to give, which your problaly going to ignore is -

GET THE SYSTEM THAT YOUR TUNER IS MOST COMFORTABLE WITH.
this is the best advice any of us can give u...get the system whom ur tuner is comfortable tuning with...find a good tuner, find out what system he prefers, and use that...simple as that..
Old 10-21-2002, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hondata =

why for soo many ?? can you give me a better explaination?? because i am looking into a hondata s200 but the ems seems to have more tunning capabilities plus its a full standalone unit.
How about the time it takes to tune it, itsvery hard to use and takes forever, not to metion the first unit I had the chip burnt up on it. All EMS is is a lot of opinions that you will never use that make thing a lot more complicated then it needs to be. These "tunning capabilities" you speak of are basicly the usless opinions Im talking about.....
Hope thats enough for you, but personally I dont car if you get it or not, but when you do you will see what I mean.
Old 10-21-2002, 08:40 AM

Default Re: My time has come, getting an EMS (Type-ARR)

We've done both (Hondata and AEM) and here are some things about each:

Hondata:
- It's only for hondas, so you've got lots of direct support like here and good base maps, so tuning time is decreased (we can tune a hondata in like 3 hours or so, depending on how "perfect" the tuning needs to be)
- Cheaper if you're getting anything other than the dealer package (not including cost of ECU though, but an s200 w/ ECU would still be cheaper than AEM)
- Everything works. By that, I mean there are no issues still waiting to be resolved, they just keep adding more stuff.
- Perfect drivability, perfect idle.
- Burning ROMS is a pain in the ***, but a necessary evil and small price to pay.

AEM:
- Software is easier to use for tuning than hondata. I'm not saying it's easier to actually tune the car, but the software is NICE! No messing with burning ROMS or anything like that, so street tuning is simplified a LOT.
- Much more functionality than hondata, and more control over all engine parameters. A "true" standalone.
- Buggy. Stuff still doesn't work right, like a lot of the engine parameters mentioned above. Straight up tuning of the A/F was no problem, but decel maps, idle stuff, etc is still not working right. We still had a tip-in throttle issue off idle and problems with the car wanting to die after going into boost and then clutch-in/no throttle......maybe when the software makes it to v1.0 it'll work right
- Eventually, it will be a better system than hondata. I'm not saying this to rag on hondata, because I love hondata! (it's what I run), but the fact of the matter is that more functionality+good tuning+everything working right=nearly perfectly tuned car. And the more tuned a car is, the more power it'll make and the better it'll run/drive. I said eventually because AEM still has lots of issues to work out.

So in summary, they both will rock your world versus the stock ECU. If this is a daily driven everyday, need it to be as reliable as possible vehicle, go hondata. If this is a weekend autoxer/dragger/cruiser, go AEM. On average, tuning time (street wideband) for hondata is around 3 hours, AEM is around 7 hours. Those are estimates.....

And to everyone who said "Just get what your local tuner can tune" what are you thinking!!! Does that mean I should get a haltech because that is all my local tuner knows how to use/tune??? A tuner should be able to tune anything the customer wants, whether it's a VAFC or a hondata or an AEM or a haltech.......lol

Brian
Old 10-21-2002, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My time has come, getting an EMS (Firedrake)

And to everyone who said "Just get what your local tuner can tune" what are you thinking!!! Does that mean I should get a haltech because that is all my local tuner knows how to use/tune??? A tuner should be able to tune anything the customer wants, whether it's a VAFC or a hondata or an AEM or a haltech.......lol

Brian[/QUOTE]

I think what was meant here was that certain tuners have their favorites just like as drivers and getting something that your tuner is most comfortable with, I think, is an excellent idea..They can tune anything but they still have a certain system that each tuner will prefer over another system..
Old 10-21-2002, 04:41 PM

Default Re: My time has come, getting an EMS (symba)

THe bugs with the EMS have supposedly been fixed with the new software that just came out...
Old 10-21-2002, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My time has come, getting an EMS (symba)

Brian

I think what was meant here was that certain tuners have their favorites just like as drivers and getting something that your tuner is most comfortable with, I think, is an excellent idea..They can tune anything but they still have a certain system that each tuner will prefer over another system..
My tuner is best at tuning Mustangs. So I guess I better get one.
Old 10-21-2002, 06:32 PM

Default Re: My time has come, getting an EMS (tygsr)

THe bugs with the EMS have supposedly been fixed with the new software that just came out...
That one other thing about the AEM... i expected a little flaws here and there when a company comes out with a brand new poduct "especially a standalone unit" and the hondata i heard has the capabilites and since it is made for hondas it works good for hondas..and about the tunning issues..i live in so-cal so i am near xs-engineering..(but i'm not gettin power fc because i don't want to be part of the monopoly xs has)..about 15 min away from area 51, 25 min away from R&D, and like 2 min away from importbuilders, 20 min from sp eningeering, and 1hr from UPRD...and for sure most of them can tune haltec, motec,etc..and i know importbuilders can work a hondata..so in a nut shell hondata easy to use and will work right..AEM is harder to work but has more tunning capabilities and is full stand alone....well overall my car is going to be a street and strip car..2000 itr with boost..

Thanks all of you who replied!! thanks for taking your time in posting you opinons and comments about the 2 sytems...please feel free to add more!!! i'm not about to waste my money with a system i'm not going to be happy with!
Old 10-22-2002, 10:04 AM
ImportReview

Default Re: My time has come, getting an EMS

I am going to tell everyone again why Hondata is so good.
Because if you don't like the way it came out, I BUY IT BACK. If I do it for you.

YOu can't do that with AEM, HALTEC, ACCEL DFI, MOTEC or any of them.

I guarantee the Hondata is good. Its a "Win, Win".

I had an AEM. Customer absolutely hated it, and I tried to return it.

AEM has a policy in effect: NO RETURNS ON OPENED PRODUCTS AT ALL. PERIOD.

The argument over which one can tune better is so NOT worth talking about anymore.

if you can change the timing, and fuel then its pretty obvious of the capability.

Its hard for me to support a company when they don't back their product at all, 0%. And don't care about their customers money. Expecially when its a $1300 unit. They should allow returns.

JEff