Notices

My B18C1 Engine Build/Assembly

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: My B18C1 Engine Build/Assembly

That first picture of the truck almost makes it look like an Integra *insert sly grin of lighthearted shenanigans*

It took me the better part of a week to read through all of this thread, and for the most part it was thoroughly enjoyable (just not the sleep deprivation part lol). Glad to see you're still working at it Calidad, and I have to thank you for having such a wealth of awesomeness amassed in this thread. I'm definitely excited to see how well you do with this latest iteration of The Black Pearl, it'll sure be a blast to watch it unfold.
Old 02-03-2018, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You still hanging around CaliDad?!!?
Old 02-06-2018, 11:23 AM
No-Traction = Fun

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DumpdEJ6
Calidad, look up Engine Masters on youtube, they've got lots of cool videos with dyno testing all sorts of parts with big and small blocks. That side-draft air intake filter is one of the worst for power.
Are you referring to the intake on the SBC in my 50 chevy truck?
Old 02-06-2018, 11:25 AM
No-Traction = Fun

Originally Posted by gringotegra
You still hanging around CaliDad?!!?
Yup im still here...just trying to get caught up on customer cars and build up my (FUN MONEY) account so I can start working on the Integra motor again.
Old 02-08-2018, 05:49 AM
I like the tuna here

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CaliforniaDad
Are you referring to the intake on the SBC in my 50 chevy truck?
Yes, that's what I was referring to. Gorgeous truck BTW!
Old 02-08-2018, 03:20 PM
No-Traction = Fun

Originally Posted by DumpdEJ6
Yes, that's what I was referring to. Gorgeous truck BTW!
Thank you! im hoping to get rolling back on it once I get the black pearl finished!
Old 02-14-2019, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holly crap!! This thing has been going since 2011!!!

First off great build

this board had me hooked ! And the mustang Evo story after the dyno was awesome !!

Old 04-28-2021, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 255 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Txdragon
After reading this novel of a build thread, I commend you on your efforts and perseverance! Through all of it, you paid so much attention to detail it killed you. Each grenade event was caused by the simplest of mistakes:
Build 1 - sleeves should have been installed 1st and foremost on anything you were looking to achieve over 200whp. I am surprised you didn't sleeve the block.
Build 2 - Equipment fail-safe and lack of judgement. Although the lack of judgement didn't really pan out entirely, you were on your way to not only grenading your engine, but the turbo as well. What fella would even contemplate a minimum commute of 160 miles in the desert without water cooling his snail? This was also after giving the go ahead to add when discussing whether or not to add the feature possibility with the builder? And no turbo timer? Tsk Tsk.
Build 3 - Why would you not have thought AUTOMATICALLY the cams were the issue? Those were the only possibility at that point after you tested over and again your vtec. Then the chaos that ensued surrounding bad tune(r), mechanical time, etc. You degreed them multiple times, they did not want to work for ya but so many others with similar setups they would work perfectly. I have seen many times where one upgrade that person 1 has did not work for person 2. It is what it is. IMHO the tuner did play a large part there as well as he should not only be able to tune these monsters, he should also understand GREATLY the science behind the upgrades and should have an basic understanding of what could be going on when a run goes **** up. If they understand how to tune, they should also understand WHAT AND WHY.
Final successful dyno tune: Why would somebody that pays such attention to detail want to build for beast mode but not upgrade axles? (I was nearly in tears when each break occurred, but I seriously LOL'd at the axles)

K.I.S.S. was repeated so many times and with each tear down, you went ***** deep in so many aspects it was almost comical! I'm almost positive I don't want to know how much was spent on this since its conception (I AM positive you wouldn't want CaliforniaMom to know for sure or you'd probably find yourself sleeping on CaliforniaCouch for an extended bit.) What many would debate is that you could have easily reached your first couple set goals for a fraction of what you spent. I've seen 500whp setups for

I just re read most of this thread starting from the gsc cam drama and had to repost this.. Good times haha
Old 04-29-2021, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 286 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Pepe14
I just re read most of this thread starting from the gsc cam drama and had to repost this.. Good times haha
Ha! I was a bit off for sleeving at that time. I was just getting my feet wet with Honda at that point in time myself. Saw a lot of B20 builds going **** up on higher power boosted builds with stock sleeves.. Don't judge meh..
Old 04-30-2021, 04:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Damn I cant believe this thread is this old now
The following users liked this post:
Old 04-30-2021, 10:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 140 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Pepe14
I didn’t read the old parts of the thread, but that guy is right with his 1,2,3 breakdown of a long build thread.
That’s why I’m doing sleeves this time (1), I’ll let it idle like a turbo timer for a minute or two, and won’t be in boost longer than about 20 seconds at any time(2), and will stay stock cam and cam gear at least at first (3).
Old 05-01-2021, 07:20 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by highschooler
I didn’t read the old parts of the thread, but that guy is right with his 1,2,3 breakdown of a long build thread.
That’s why I’m doing sleeves this time (1), I’ll let it idle like a turbo timer for a minute or two, and won’t be in boost longer than about 20 seconds at any time(2), and will stay stock cam and cam gear at least at first (3).
The old parts of the thread are the best parts, really. I remember this from the beginning. Californiadad's issues were from an over-milled cylinder head past the .030" mark, not the camshafts. He had forgotten to mention that before and it got glossed over, as he did not deem it important at the time. He couldn't have run off of anything more than a Type R camshaft anyway.

The other takeaway is when it comes to the turbo.. RUN WATER LINES. Not just turbo time oil cooling. I was the one who diagnosed that potential problem and was glad I fixed it before the entire bearing system went belly up.
The following 2 users liked this post by TheShodan: