Notices

MOROSO Air/Oil Seperator

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MOROSO Air/Oil Seperator

Just a curiosity if anyone has used this on a boosted 4 cyl set up yet??

I know alot of us are not the biggest fans of atmospheric catch cans cause they stink and make a mess. This would run from your valve cover to your turbo inlet pipe. I think it would scavenge crank pressures quite effectively without the contaminants reaching critical turbo/intercooler components. Where I live there is no EPA to worry about, however the guys in California may find it useful. I have contacted Moroso for more information. They make kits for the WRX and Evos already with multiple universal applications. I will put up the answers when I get them.

Here's a link to a CTS-V using the system. There's a couple on youtube.

Anyways.. Let me know what you think, flames and all.

Last edited by hoorah; 09-21-2012 at 06:30 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-21-2012, 07:55 PM
It's wU to the sOLdiEr!

Default Re: MOROSO Air/Oil Seperator

looks like an oil catch can to me...but i could be wrong

if its an oil catch can, there has been plenty discussion about this already
Old 09-21-2012, 08:33 PM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah Ive seen that before. It works fine but its really small. A large capacity would slow down the gases more to allow for better seperation plus it would not have to be emptied practically every day. And I still dont want to intake the fumes.
Old 09-22-2012, 04:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There are larger capacity available. Look into the design on the moroso site. I understand this has been looked into many times. However, big race motors use vacuum pumps, not engine pressure to allow the PCV gases to be scavenged. True that they are then atmospherically released. A vacuum is a proven way of reducing engine pressure. If this item works as well as I think it does....it may be a better way??? Just allowing the air to get by without the oil/fuel passing.

As the great MIKE ROWE once stated. Society was built on it failures, not its accomplishments. We improve through time and different ideas.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here's the answers I have so far.

Hello:

Thank you for giving JEGS the opportunity to assist you with your technical question.

The Moroso oil/air separator can be used both for naturally aspirated or turbo/supercharged engines. It features internal baffling and stainless mesh media that will capture and hold oil mist from entering the intake tract. The turbo system will not pull the oil back into the turbocharger/intercooler from the separator. If you would like further product information simply click on the item number highlighted above.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++

I think I'll try one and put another catch can right after this one inline to see if it really does catch it all.....I'll keep you guys in the loop and let you know how it goes . I don't mind being a guiney pig.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just an update, been on for a week now, no more smoke out the back of my car...and NO oil in my intake track to my turbo.

I will be upgrading the valve cover to the d17 unit, for even better venting and eventual coil pak ignition.

I'll keep testing till the snow flies. The engine is a y8 (1.6EL), all stock with 270,000km (lots of blowby) on an AWG44 Garrett housing, 2860rs (9.2PSI), MVR 44 (atmostpheric)

Then my built z6 goes in.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:10 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

That's good news. 2 specific companies, Grimmspeed and Crawford, use an Air / oil separator in the Subaru world of performance, and have seen even better results. Its not a new phenomenon at all, but glad you're trying something different for the Honda community.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

D17 Valve cover installed....way better venting then the stock y8. It's amazing how much clear humidity/fuel is coming out of my motor....

keep you posted.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:22 PM
Good, Bad…I'm the one with the gun

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i was under impression that everyone knew that the proper way to run PCV system is to have the vents go through a separator and to your compressor inlet pipe (where there is consistent vacuum present)?
Old 10-10-2012, 04:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would like to see someone modify one of the large 1 gallon setups with the 3 filters and with the 6 10an hoses going to it.

I dont really like the idea of oil fumes being sucked in through my 600whp street cars turbo though.

what about using the exhaust system as a vacuum?
Old 10-10-2012, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This little experiment was to run the factory style pcv system. I hate oil fumes in my car, so atmospheric venting was out of the question. Im getting a little older and finicky. The system runs from the valve cover to the intake track of the turbo. I also know that vacuumed engines remove pressure far better than relying on pressure build up to relieve said pressure. Before joining the Army, I was a Drive Clean (Ontario EPA really) repair tech. I very much understand the positive effects of a properly working PCV System. The ummm..LAW, was definately on the lookout where I lived for open PCV systems. This seems to be a very functional and legal way of keeping contaminants out of my intercooler piping and motor underboost. Always looking for more heads to include their experiences and expertise, which is why productive critism is always welcome. don't know how it would work on a 600hp motor, I don't have the coin to build one. 350hp is all my wallet will allow at this time.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:55 PM
Good, Bad…I'm the one with the gun

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DelSolMarine
I would like to see someone modify one of the large 1 gallon setups with the 3 filters and with the 6 10an hoses going to it.

I dont really like the idea of oil fumes being sucked in through my 600whp street cars turbo though.

what about using the exhaust system as a vacuum?
you can use that, but it is illegal in many places. a more efficient, albeit, expensive way is to use a vacuum pump.