Notices

Money

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Money

I am currently a junior in college and ive been wanting to boost my car for some time, but i spend ALL of my money on school and other school related expenses. So im currently a turbo dreamer. Ive read a **** ton about tegs and boosting and A/F ratios and blah blah blah blah, but i can't get my hands on any of these things due to monatary reasons. My question to you guys is this; How are you guys getting money to finiance these crazy turbo projects. I mean, jeeze, a nukin mani and dp is over $1k.... wtf. Im mainly writing this thread b/c im pissed off at spending 1.4K last week for school cost

So what do most of you guys/gals do for a living?
Old 06-24-2006, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

People have these things they call jobs, it's something people have been doing for decades, basically, u show up to this place and bust your *** working, then u get compensated.
Old 06-24-2006, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Software Programmer by day, Grease Monkey by night

job + doing all your own labor
Old 06-24-2006, 02:45 PM
Brrraaaap!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (turbotime)

Hardwork = boost. Its never easy, cause if it was, everybody would be doing it. I had been dreaming about owning a CRX and turboing it since the 7th grede. I didnt know anything about engines cars or have any mechcanical background accpet from what I had learned working on a handfull of project cars since the 4th grade. Finally the summer before my senior year I boosted my CRX. It was a dream that Id had for a long long time, and finally lived it. For me it took a lot of time money and learning because my parents never have given me handouts and my dad doesnt do the car thing so I had to do everything myself. I wouldnt trade it/ the expriences that Ive gained/ people Ive met for anything.

Save your $, work hard a and find someone to share your dream with (so when you get sad and depressed you can talk about how GOOD its gonna be, and believe me when its good, ITS GOOD .) and go for it.

Blaze
Old 06-24-2006, 02:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oh yeah and another big part of the process i never budgeted for was GOOD TOOLS, jeeze i musta dropped over 1k in just tools!
Old 06-24-2006, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Money (jononioo)

im 20 years old, a Auto Technician, in debt up to my ***

Kyle
Old 06-24-2006, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Money (N20civicB18)

Day time A Welder, weld some of complex stuff for bio-medical machine's

Working on my own cars and do side jobs.. (worked @ a shop for 3 year in the past )
Old 06-24-2006, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just finish school and then go for it, i have wanted a s2000 since they came out but couldnt afford it, finally after 4 years at the same job i make enough at 22 years old i bought it last month.
Old 06-24-2006, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (boostinCX)

ah dont worry about it when u see a sick properly built turbo setup come togeather on here, its likely taken lots of hard work and lots of time.

not often is it someone who just drops cash all in one day and has 400hp.

some ppl dont even get to finish their projects.

be patient.
Old 06-24-2006, 03:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (boostinCX)

I spent 5 years in the Navy... bought my Hatch did a motor swap and when I came to Iraq the first time I bought all my Full-Race turbo stuff and now I am out of the Navy and a government contractor back in Iraq making really good money.

But the thing that it all comes down to is how much you can save and how much you really want it If you really wanted to boost then you would have another job to make money for your car project

I can also say that if you want to build a great setup you can spend upwards of $8,000 or more
Old 06-24-2006, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BoostedEG6)

Credit Cards
Old 06-24-2006, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (96 GSR-T)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 96 GSR-T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Credit Cards </TD></TR></TABLE>

Lol.........you can thank or struggling economy due to so many people buying things they cant afford. Credit cards=problems

My best advise is this. Do something that not only makes you happy in life but also makes you money, the trick in my opinion is to do something that people are always going to want/need done.

Thats why strippers always be rollin...................
Old 06-24-2006, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (urbansi)

Cards are paid
Old 06-24-2006, 04:43 PM

Thanks for the input guys. I mean that! I think the biggest thing that is fustrating for me right now is not having extra money and having 15 hours of school right now that i simply don't have enough time to get another job. I know im very impatient, but it makes me even more impatient when i see all these people on here with nice 300whp setups. I have an LS and ive been going back and fourth between parts b/c something always comes up and i end up selling parts. I almost had my setup complete then unexpected school bills came up and i ended up selling most of it, except for my drag mani, Drag dp and JRC FMIC.
And about finding some to share my passion with, its funny that you say that b/c while i was visiting my friend in Austin TX, i met this beautiful red head with a turbo s13. And it totally threw me off b/c she knew the car front to back. And i know she wasn't takling crap b/c i had an S14 and i knew that car like the back of my hand having wrecked it so many times. I got pics of her setup and all that jazz. Maybe ill meet up with her again. but yeah. Im am MIS major with about 1 year left. Salaries for My major are about 60k+. But those jobs ususally go to straight A students. Too bad i started off college unfocused. I am currently a C+ student. But if i can manage to get a B average outa collge i should be O.K. in the job market. Getting a decent job outa college also worries me. I mean jeeze, who wants to work at micky d's straight outa collge. Fak dat!
Old 06-24-2006, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jononioo)

Even as a student you can afford anything you want to. I'm only 19, I still have a lot of scholarship money so I'm only paying about 3000 + books for school this year, but I am paying for a 6 week trip to Europe all on my own with money to spare, and buying a C5 Corvette next summer. The key to being able to afford **** is I work anywhere from 70-80 hours a week

I don't have any rediculous job either, I just work in a grocery warehouse driving a forklift and my paychecks are always atleast 2 grand. My past paycheck was just over 3000 after all taxes and deductions, I put in 170 hours over 2 weeks. I get pretty cranky during the week since I literally have zero free time, but that's the sacrifices you gotta make.
Old 06-24-2006, 05:10 PM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Money (jononioo)

stay in school get a good job, buy a house then go nuts.
OR do like i do, and work 3 jobs.
Old 06-24-2006, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tokes1320)

i know how ya feel 6 years of saving birthday money, never going out to eat or watch movies and working at autozone for 6months bought me my turbo kit and tuning. keep saving oyea im 18 and wanted a boosted teg for along time
Old 06-24-2006, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (qfast817)

I think a lot of people use their financial aid also.
Old 06-24-2006, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

test engineer.

I just worked a **** load of hours, used my overtime and expense money to pay for my ****.
Old 06-24-2006, 06:13 PM

Default Re: (Mr. Helsinki)

Military + Iraq + Tax Free + Hostile Fire Pay + Fly Pay + Per Diem =

Old 06-24-2006, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tegedrex)

Damn, that's nice setup
Old 06-24-2006, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tegedrex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Military + Iraq + Tax Free + Hostile Fire Pay + Fly Pay + Per Diem =

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats some ballzy stuff you have done for boost , for people like you that fight for our country
Old 06-24-2006, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tegedrex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Military + Iraq + Tax Free + Hostile Fire Pay + Per Diem =

</TD></TR></TABLE>

and now that I am working for Blackwater I am redoing everything .....
Old 06-24-2006, 06:38 PM

Default Re: (BoostedEG6)

if it makes you feel better, im 19, work a shitty low paying job at a sears auto center. my paycheck every 2 weeks is about 250, if that
its all about saving and saving. i couldnt save and buy everyhitng at once, so i peiced together a kit for a little under a year. month after month, the stack of boxes got bigger and bigger until i could finally throw them allaway. ims till not done putting it all on because of the problems i ran into, getthing **** welded and so forth. but once its on, not only will it be a fun as **** car, itll be something i knwo i earned for myself. my mom got me my boost controller, but that was for my bday. and my dads paying for tuning but thats for my bday too (their divorced)lol. but everything else, the 4000+ ive spent has been low paying job. so just work and u can make it happen, keep your head up son
Old 06-24-2006, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tegedrex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Military + Iraq + Tax Free + Hostile Fire Pay + Fly Pay + Per Diem =

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ditto, my new setup pics will be posted in about 10 days.

Hell man you are in college, wait till you graduate and you will make plenty of money to build the hell out of something.

But do like was stated before, buy a house first.

Quick Reply: Money