Notices

Might switch to turbo (from Toda setup)

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2002, 10:24 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Might switch to turbo (from Toda setup)

Hey all,
Well ... I'm not too happy with my current setup. I spent a lot of money and would like to have MUCH more power.

I basically have a poor-mans ITR motor with some better goodies (Toda "B" cams). The motor is basically maxed out except headwork and rebuilding the bottom end.

Well, I might throw down and get my bottom end redone. Get some 12:1 pistons, Eagle rods ... etc. Now, I have turbo in the back of my head.

Since I'm already rebuilding the bottom end ... dropping in some forged low compression pistons, Crower rods ... etc is not REALLy gonna add to my orginal cost. Just basically a different compression number and some other minor add ons.

I just don't want to stay NA and be dissappointed with the final results. I want a FAST car. PERIOD.

That's why I'm thinking about going turbo. Sell all of my n/a goodies and invest in a turbo kit.

I want this car to be VERY reliable. VERY. I will boost VERY low on the street 3-6 PSI and 12+ when racing/in the mood.

I don't know too much about turbos ... sent my afternoons reading about N/A engines.

I don't want a "beginner" setup. I want my engine have some *****. Remember, I will rebuild my bottom end ... so I can handle the boost.

Give me some opinions on a kick *** setup ... either a kit like the DragIII one or just go completely custom and get the best parts that I need for my application.

This is my only car ... so again ... RELIABLE.

Thanks,
Adam
Old 02-17-2002, 10:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Might switch to turbo (BlackGSR)

Reliable is a Civic HX...
Old 02-17-2002, 10:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Might switch to turbo (mplex2000)

i agree... to be completely blunt... turbo's are not reliable... i dont care what anyone tells u
Old 02-17-2002, 11:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Might switch to turbo (Tom)

It will definately be less reliable than stock...
Old 02-17-2002, 11:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Might switch to turbo (Tom)

i agree... to be completely blunt... turbo's are not reliable... i dont care what anyone tells u
Ya i agree with that. There is always something up with them. Leaking oil, not tuned right, something falling off, or my personal favorite exhuast leaks.

If you want a really reliable setup i would stay with all motor personally. If you want mega power go turbo. Hard call! Have you tried turning your car into a theft recovery? Strip everything out which doesnt need to be there...that should help out alot.

liam
Old 02-17-2002, 11:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Might switch to turbo (liam821)

Your first problem with trying to make power w/ toda spec b's is stock compression. They arent a drop a cam, you have to raise compression, bored the tb for breathing, raise vtec, and lots of tuning.
Old 02-18-2002, 07:18 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Might switch to turbo (Etylorcen)

Your first problem with trying to make power w/ toda spec b's is stock compression. They arent a drop a cam, you have to raise compression, bored the tb for breathing, raise vtec, and lots of tuning.
... that's where my question comes in. I'm gonna rebuild the bottom end. I just don't want to be dissappointed if I stay N/A and drop in high compression pistons.

Instead, I can drop in 9.8:1 forged pistons with some nice rods and new bolts and have a pretty much built proof block for the turbo.

The whole system will be installed by my friend who is VERY, VERY knowledgable with Hondas. So that will eliminate the any problems due to poor installation.

If installed properly and tuned properly (Stand-alone) .... why will it be unreliable. I'm only gonna boost 2-4 PSI on the street and 12+ when dragging.
Old 02-18-2002, 07:40 AM
New User

Well if you want a FAST car it's not gonna happen with a lower compression only pushing 2-4 psi on the street..Besides with a lower compression and stand alone pushing 12-14 psi on the street shouldn't be any problem at all as long as the tuning is done right. Want reliability stay all motor. Want gobs of power turbo is the way to go. Good luck

Nick
Old 02-18-2002, 10:12 AM
New User

What I would do is get some 11.5:1 forged pistons (JE, srp, or endyn), some good rods (eagles are fine), type-r valverain, chip the ecu for a 9000rpm fuel cutoff, and throw in a 100 shot NOS plate kit for extra power. If you want to do this cheap and quick this is the way to go. I owned 1 turbo honda and I will never own another.. just not worth the time/money unless you are independently wealthy or own a shop.
Old 02-18-2002, 04:06 PM
New User

Default Re: Might switch to turbo (EF-Hatch)

U want power. Sleeve ur block and then bore that **** and make it a 2.0 liter. Raise the compression to high 11's or low 12's and I promise you that you won't be disappointed. Oh BTW one very important thing, If you are staying n/a ur car must lose some weight to feel the effect. Moral of the story is power to weight. I just drove a civic that weighs app 2100lbs with a 2.0 motor around 220hp and I am starting a new project after that. I have a 500+hp TypeR , itz sick but if u want to enjoy your car and be RELIABLE RELIABLE, stay all motor. I am still keeping the R b/c if I lose with the motor car, I will bring out the beast to unleash the smack down.. Lol.. I am also building a 2.0 motor going in a crx. Good luck ..