Notices

maybe dumb question, where do I start with learning a standalone?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2002, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default maybe dumb question, where do I start with learning a standalone?

I know what the hardware setup I need to run but I dont know were to start with learning a standalone system like a aem ems, haltech, motec, hondata, etc.

I really am liking the aem ems from what options and opinions I have heard and read about it. However reading it is not the same as knowing and tuning it.

I notice there is not many references (that I can find for stuff like this) to a process of learning or starting out with a engine management system in general... muchless something relatively new to the market like the aem ems.

I mean I know you can not just tell me like it is super simple and a 5 minute thing, but someplace to start learning is good.

If anyone could help it is appreciated.
Old 07-06-2002, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: maybe dumb question, where do I start with learning a standalone? (twkdCD595)

bump... see my problem... either no one knows (not likely on h-t.com) or it is a hard question to address so most are not replying.

start me somewhere... is there a big newbie guide to standalones I am missing someplace.

[Modified by twkdCD595, 8:50 AM 7/6/2002]
Old 07-06-2002, 08:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: maybe dumb question, where do I start with learning a standalone? (twkdCD595)

It is that simple. When you don't programm your standalone yourself, then a pro will do the job, right? Mostly a good dyno shop knows a pro with lots of standalone programming. Now, computers and softwares are only as good as the user.

I bought me the Haltech, cause my tuner knows this **** like his pocket case. Hondata or AEMS would be simplier to hook up, but no one has a clue about it in my area.

Get the point?

[Modified by austrian type-R, 6:03 PM 7/6/2002]
Old 07-06-2002, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: maybe dumb question, where do I start with learning a standalone? (austrian type-R)

Not that I dont trust a pro, but given my area... thats a word that hardly applies to any dyno owner/ tuner around here or within miles (maybe ill.).

I would love to be able to learn to use them fully myself if possible, esp. cause even normal people come within 5 feet of my car and I am ready to hurt them severely @ first sign of contact... muchless some big fat sweating toothless jackass running my import like a retard imbread domestic car driving crackhead ****.

Sorry to sound pickey about this, but I worry when my car is in the garage and the door is closed still...

So anyways I dont even know basics about standalone, besides the obvious stupid ****... so... I could not even hook it up or make it run enough to get it somewhere far.

Thanks.

EDIT

Sorry out of posts. but thanx for the replies thus far. I am pretty good with the cars and consider myself decently knowledgeable... came from domestics and played around with some rotary **** before the honda's. Have good understanding of the workings of cars in detail.

Also I am a fast learner, esp when it is computer based. Any more opinions or comments welcome!

[Modified by twkdCD595, 1:09 PM 7/6/2002]
Old 07-06-2002, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A good way to start would be to download the demo software (if possible) for each system. Hondata and AEM will let you do this. I am not sure about the other standalones. I would love to play with the Haltech software because I'm thinking that I might do a project Miata and in that case, I would probably use a Haltech.

Sonny
Old 07-06-2002, 10:23 AM
What is this crap?

Received 57 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Re: maybe dumb question, where do I start with learning a standalone? (Sonny)

I picked up an AEM EMS last week and i had my car idling after about 45min of playing with the software. The next day i was actually driving the car. Since then i have been tweaking the map i have been using, leaning it out so i get better than the 12mpg i was originally seeing (waaaay rich cause i didnt want to lean out and kill my motor. Now it doesnt smell like gas and it feels a about the same or little stronger than the stock ECU.

I finally know the software well enough that I am going to pretty much start over and reconfigure the map from scratch (its for a boosted b18c5 and i have a NA b18c1 right now).

So if you're technically inclined, i think you can learn a system and get the car drivable by yourself. You're going to need a dyno with wideband o2 for the WOT /boost stuff. AND a wideband for part throttle tuning is pretty much a necessity. I have one of the Techedge UEGO kits coming in the mail. I hear its pretty accurate. I hope so. Sonny is right about playing with the demo software, although its more fun when you get to plug in the ECU and make changes.

Why do i have standalone on a stock GSR? Cause I love playing with this stuff and i'll be ready when I can actually afford to finish my turbo setup.

edit: when i say technically inclined i mean you need to be very comfortable with learning the standalones software and you need to have a good understanding of computers, the sensors in your car, how fuel injection works, and general modern engine characteristics. the AEM comes with a pretty good writeup that covers these areas, but having a Helms and having read thru how the sensors work and their ranges of operation and stuff is important to know.

Old 07-06-2002, 10:31 AM
New User

tuning a standalone is not really that difficult. You must have a basic knowledge of how a motor works, of course, and you must know the specific limits of the motor (boost pressure, what a/f it likes to run at, egt limits, etc). If you know that, and the software, then it's as simple as making the changes to achieve the results you desire. If you're tuning on the dyno, ignore max power and torque figures. Tune for a wide curve, flat a/f, and stable EGT's, and the power will come.
Old 07-06-2002, 12:13 PM

Hey twkdCD595, where in St. Louis are you from? I am interested in playing around and learning about the EMS also.
Old 07-06-2002, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: maybe dumb question, where do I start with learning a standalone? (H23ludedude)

Useing the actual engine mgt. system is not the hard part. The hard part is knowing what a motor wants. Like tuneing off an o2 sensor and letting it adjust the fuel for error is NOT being a tuner. A good tuner will have it working better in open loop then the actual system can adjust for. You have to start at the basics and just read books on how a motor works and what kind of situations you have to tune for over the rpm cycle.....Mike
Old 07-06-2002, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: maybe dumb question, where do I start with learning a standalone? (Sonny)

Sonny, if you are interested in getting the haltech software Im me. I have two different copies, i could just send you one. I have learned alot about the haltech so if you need any assistance tuning it yourself let me know as well.

The only real way to learn each standalone is to pretty much get hands on with the software, that means either knowing someone with the unit or buying it yourself. I have had hondata, efi pms and now haltech. I would love to get to work with the new AEM (and have played with the software extensively) and the new Accel DFI ver. 7. I probably will just buy the AEM in the near future and sell the haltech.
Old 07-06-2002, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: maybe dumb question, where do I start with learning a standalone? (boosted hybrid)

what Pros and Cons can you conclude with the different standalone.

Because for me my needs arent very much. I mean its like will i really need a AEM EMS or will hondata be enough.

since most of you guys have tunning experience-can you recommend or say what units are your fav?

BTW this is a really good question.
Old 07-06-2002, 01:51 PM
New User

Default Re: maybe dumb question, where do I start with learning a standalone? (Cramerox)

I've tuned a couple of different systems, IMHO the easiest to tune has to be SDS EFI. Its not extremely popular with the Honda crowd, though AEBS loves this system. SDS means simple digital systems, and that couldn't be more true.

But for a Honda, Hondata is by far the easiest to plug in and turn on, go. If you start with a good base map, then it's even easier to tune.

[Modified by VaporTrail, 5:53 PM 7/6/2002]