Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

AEM EMS start up HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 12:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AEM EMS start up HELP!!!

So I recently Built my D16Y8 (3rd time in 3 months due to other peoples work) nothing special just cp pistons, acl bearings 450cc DSM injectors and a t3t4 turbo. I had it tuned and it runs great when running! On a cold start it takes like 10 rotations and it putts the keep it going then it will start... On some starts, usually hot starts, it starts then dies like 5 times until it get it's in gear and start driving like its getting either low fuel or too much. I need to get a AFR I know but when i had it on the start up calibration it started right up no issues just a high RPM and when driving it, with out the tune, it drove like s**t! I have invested a lot of time and money and I have no idea what to do. Any ideas?
Old 07-03-2011, 03:03 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: AEM EMS start up HELP!!!

Get a better tune.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No **** sherlock, Im asking what should i tune in my ems MYSELF so i can change it so this wont happen?
Old 07-03-2011, 10:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

u asked a question he answered it u said u dont knwo what to do if u cant take an answer than dont come to a forum if youre going to act liek a douche to someone that told u what to do get a better tune get it tuned by a shop and stop trying urself if u cannot do it just saying
Old 07-03-2011, 10:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you read my post and quote "I had it tuned and it runs great when running!" This tune was by a shop I just need to know what i should change to get this problem corrected. I can do it i just need to know where to start thats all. Also im not trying to be a douche but common I know I should get it tune again by another shop i just dumped 400 bucks for this tune and obviously not tuned right but the shop is an hr and a half away from where i live and I'd have to pay again?? screw that mess, I'm just trying to find out how to do it myself and where to start.

Last edited by 312civic; 07-03-2011 at 11:19 PM.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sir, with all due respect - quit being a b!tch and go back to that shop.

if you don't know how to tune your car, don't attempt because it is more complicated than probably assumed and it could be easy to damage things from an incorrect tune.

if i were you, i would drive back to the shop that tuned it, ask them what they think the problem is, and demand (non-confrontationaly) that they fix it.

if i paid someone 400 for a tune, i'd expect my car to run perfectly. best of luck homie.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Fo sho I have been completely respectful to the shop I was in debate weather to do that cuz the last 2 times i have done that to other shops they "fixed" it and 10 miles down the road my motor blew twice until I built it my self now i have 300 miles and she drives like a charm. just this stupid start up issue. You are right though i should either get my loot back or have them **** with it again. Also what should i do when they tell me to go **** myself? bring my shotty in and blow the kids head off. I'm not being a bitch i just do'nt have the time to keep doing this **** otherwise im out a job.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

see if someone tuned my motor and the tune was **** id go back and demand a retune and if my motor blew because of it i would demand money that i put into my motors shops dont want their name out there that theyre a bad shop most of them would take the deal u put on the table just go back and ask for a retune cause it is not ur fault
Old 07-03-2011, 11:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If i were you i would show up at the shop with an intimidatingly well-documented explanation of EXACTLY what the problem is, when it occurs, exactly what the symptoms are and how they manifest - then ask the specific person who tuned your car what he thinks the problem is.

the attitude here is 'we are both trying to get this car working properly, both of our time is expensive and we need to get this resolved so it doesn't cost anyone anymore money.'

btw I don't know that much about tuning but if you have a complete engine management system - you should be able to adjust idle-specific options related to cold-starts etc... i wouldn't know where to start with recommendations of what to look at, but i'm sure you could find out how with some research and looking through FAQ/s customer support(AEM).

i think you should talk to the tuner and you're more likely to get 'dealt with' if you meet him in person face to face.

bring your shotfun just in case >.<
Old 07-03-2011, 11:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea defiantly. I'm gonna head out there tuesday. I'll let you know what the deal is after. But I feel you I should get my loot back or tune 100% working condition.