Notices

ls Vtec w/ Vtec killer cams for turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 73 Likes on 61 Posts
Default ls Vtec w/ Vtec killer cams for turbo?

I have been out of Honda for minute now. But a buddy just did a very well rounded del sol b16 turbo build, and nowI have a hankering ( I went there). I need to start a build.

I have a 130,xxx Mile LS short block in my garage from my first Integra 12 years ago. I have a b16 head and a GSR head with port work on the shelf.

So Naturally a LS Vtec turbo makes perfect sense. I am shooting for an easy 300 WHP, nothing big, nothing crazy just a fun little car- and I finally have an E85 station in-between me and work!!!!!!!

I don't have good cams for either Vtec head, and I do not have a LS head at all- I literally threw it away 2 weeks ago- was cleaning out my garage.

The GSR head has lots of $$$ invested in it, so I like the idea of using it, and maybe Vtec Killer cams since I don't plan on building the bottom of the LS. The thought is keep the RPMS down, but maximize flow. Any thoughts on this type of setup?

I don't have a car yet, or a transmission. I have several transmission cases, and maybe 5 sets of gears for b16-ls-GSR trans- will probably do GSR with LS final.
I am thinking 4 door 1996-2000-ish civic- tinted out back and gutted back half- Sleeper status.

Turbo will not be anything exotic, just a 57 trim base nothing fancy turbo, and I will spend what i need to make this work, but have no plans to take this car any further than 300 HP. I have a racecar with over 600HP (1968 Cuda). This will be a once or twice a week car- my DD is a 2014 Volt.

Really I am looking for advise on using the VTEC head, with out VTEC lobes to keep RPMS down and boost it.
Old 11-19-2016, 01:33 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: ls Vtec w/ Vtec killer cams for turbo?

Originally Posted by 93h2beg
I have been out of Honda for minute now.

The GSR head has lots of $$$ invested in it, so I like the idea of using it, and maybe Vtec Killer cams since I don't plan on building the bottom of the LS. The thought is keep the RPMS down, but maximize flow. Any thoughts on this type of setup?

Really I am looking for advise on using the VTEC head, with out VTEC lobes to keep RPMS down and boost it.
This isn't some sort of super NA build in which the view point of drag racers believing that VTEC lobes are simply for economic fuel efficiency gains and that going VTEC-less (VTEC all the time, basically) is the best route similar to a big Honda LS cam.

Nor is it recommended to use a big lift/duration NA camshaft to do the job of a turbocharged application.

For your power goals and use, stick to a standard GS-R camshaft. Keep all three lobes and get to a tuner that can tune the lower and higher points of the camshaft.

Since your departure, several companies have finally created some real work on camshaft specifically for turbo charged applications in both VTEC & NON-VTEC form. None deal with deviating the basic camshaft structure of the 3 lobe VTEC system; because over the years they've discovered that it wasn't necessary to in order to get good results and characteristics.

​​​​​Those companies are Kelford, GSC Power Division, Crower (not Brian Crower, thank goodness) and to some extent, Skunk2.

For VTEC, A GS-R,00-01 TypeR, and Skunk 2 Tuner 1 are the better choices for smaller / mid-framed turbo like your 57 trim. For non-VTEC, the Crower 404 is best suited for a good range of turbochargers, including what you have.

But I would definitely stick with the VTEC head, there the whole two lobe cam idea out of the window for this.

​​​
​​​​​​
Old 11-20-2016, 05:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

For what you got, OEM GSR or ITR cams would be just fine
Old 11-20-2016, 05:48 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with what everyone has already said. the only reason i would go with a stage 1 or stage 2 cam is for the sound. lol...people have made much more than 300whp on stock cams.
Old 11-20-2016, 05:49 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

honestly if your only looking for 300WHP a jrsc setup with cams and e85 will be the most fun in my opinion..
Old 11-20-2016, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by umair
honestly if your only looking for 300WHP a jrsc setup with cams and e85 will be the most fun in my opinion..
Not really.At over 250whp on a jrsc, you need at least aftercooler... If you can even get a JRSC. they've been out of production longer than they've been IN actual production.
Old 11-20-2016, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by umair
I agree with what everyone has already said. the only reason i would go with a stage 1 or stage 2 cam is for the sound. lol...people have made much more than 300whp on stock cams.
And even than, there's no real "sound" depending upon company. "Stages" mean nothing if they don't fit the purpose
Old 11-20-2016, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I will be running a turbo, I am not interested in the JRSC- back in the early 2000's a buddy of mine had a GS-R and got the JRSC- it was somewhat of a disappointment.

Regardless, I will run the GSR cams- and ported GSR head, since i don't have an intake i don't see any reason not to go aftermarket.
as far as the turbo goes, i'd imagine i will pickup something from amazon, or eBay- name brand not junk. Not sure where else i can find them????
I have done some research and this is OBVIOUSLY nothing new, or uncharted territory so thank you for the comments and the guidance.

I will attend to my build now.
Old 11-20-2016, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 93h2beg
i'd imagine i will pickup something from amazon, or eBay- name brand not junk. Not sure where else i can find them????
I
Bullseye Power, Borg Warner, Garrett Turbo, & Precision Turbochargers from GO-AUTOWORKS
STC Turbochargers
ATP TURBO - The Premiere Provider of Turbocharging Components

I would stay away from ebay and amazon even if you think your getting "the real thing" it will more often then not be fake chinese crap
Old 11-21-2016, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok good to know. Thank you.
I took all of my parts to my buddies shop to clean and degrease everything in the parts cleaner.
At some point in its storage one of the cam caps got lost or discarded. I know it's a matched set, can I have a machine shop mill and line bore or hone new ones? I would just get a new head but this head has several hundred into the porting.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Unfortunately cams are "line bored" from the factory. as far as a machine shop machining it precisely to mach the other caps is debatable, personally I would not go that route, additionally porting will have little to no effect when boosting a motor
Old 11-21-2016, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the local shop here is known for his "ferrari" work... maybe he could do it. I would replace all the caps and have them milled a bit then line bored to OE specs... if it is reasonable.

Or maybe ill be stuck to searching CL looking for a head... ahhhh geez.
Old 11-22-2016, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Tons of heads on Ebay also, I actually prefer ebay as you are some what protected CL you have no protection when buying bad parts.

I paid $1000 for a type R Head, ITR cams, and a pretty fresh Dizzy..... Sold the VC for like $100. not a bad deal as ITR cams go for arround $500 anyway . I think the going price for a B16 head is about $500 without cams and they usually dont come with the Valve cover