Notices

LS Turbo/Hondata - what's needed?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 04:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS Turbo/Hondata - what's needed?

Hey all,
I've got a 98 LS and my plan this summer is piecing together a turbo setup to end up with around 300whp. I'm planning on getting a T3 turbo and using a Hondata S200 setup with RC 440 injectors. Thats about all that is certain right now. I'm just wondering what else you need for the kit... i know you need a bov, wastegate, manifold, piping, intercooler, misc hardware... but what about things like a turbo timer, or boost controller??? Also, wondering if anyone has a setup like this and i'm wondering which brands/model of wastegate, bov, manifold, and how you like them. Also wondering if this is a lofty goal for stock internals. Thanks.
Old 03-23-2005, 04:09 PM

Good Wastegates: Tial,HKS,Turbonetics.
Good Manifolds: Inlinepro, drag, fullrace
Good BOV's: Greddy, HKS, Turbo XS........
Old 03-23-2005, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LS Turbo/Hondata - what's needed? (eag36)

you are going to have 440cc injectors maxed at 300whp. Get bigger ones
Old 03-23-2005, 04:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LS Turbo/Hondata - what's needed? (eag36)

If you find a good tuner 300whp shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure your motor can handle it first (compression test ,leak down, ect)
Manifold= https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1105639
Your probably going to need a new clutch to put that power to the ground, and since your 98, you need to convert to obd1 ( Correct me if im wrong, i dont know too much about hondata)
Old 03-23-2005, 05:51 PM

ok good start... but here's basically what you'll need:

1) Manifold - for 300 whp you won't need a full-race or neukin style manifold... just go with a log style (Drag, Blox, Inlinepro, Revhard, etc)

2) Wastegates - Tial 38mm will be what you need. HKS also have good wastegates but a bit more expensive.

3) BOV - Popular ones are Greddy, HKS, and Tial. Basically this is a personal preference based on sound. I have a Greddy Type S and its high pitched, I'm switching to a Tial next cuz I like the sound better.

4) Intercooler - definitely invest in one of these... it will make your setup more reliable by cooling the intake charge air plus add some more horsepower due to the cooling. You can find cheap ones here on HT in the classifieds. Also, you won't need the biggest one, just get one that will fit and handle your goal hp.

5) Piping - you can either get this custom made or order a premade kit. I know Greddy sells a kit, but expensive, there is also a guy on here that sells piping kits as well. I think its the Inlinepro guy, can't remember for sure.

6) Misc equip - couplers, hose clamps, oil feed line, oil drain line, fittings, look in the HT classifieds, you can find people selling all this as a kit.

7) Injectors - Go with RC 550's. 440's will be almost maxed out at 300 hp plus 550's will give you more room to play with.

8) Hondata - You'll need an OBD1 ecu and conversion harness (if you are using your stock OBD2 harness).

9) Clutch - Definitely look into upgrading this... don't have to right away but the stock one won't hold out for long.

10) Turbo timer - you can invest in one or do it yourself by waiting in the car for the amount of time. your call on this one but always let the car idle to cool down the bearings in the turbo.

11) Boost controller - I would say its worth it due to the fact you can control the boost level and possibly spool up the turbo faster. As far as elec vs manual is concerned... again personal opinion. I prefer electric so i can change on the fly and from the driver seat.

I think that should do it. Find someone to tune it once everything is installed or learn to tune it yourself. Tuning will play a major part in how well your car performs and how long it will last. Don't ever be cheap on the tuning.

Good luck.
Old 03-23-2005, 05:53 PM

Oh, and don't forget gauges to monitor engine, boost, oil pressure, temp, etc...
Old 03-23-2005, 06:16 PM

Default Re: (Sivik)

Yeah, turns out i need to get an OBD1 ECU plus the obd1/obd2 harness but its really not too much extra.
Old 03-23-2005, 06:19 PM

Default Re: (eag36)

Thanks for all the great input guys, one last Q, i've been reading a lot of threads that talk about boost creep... i'm not reallly sure what that is, but i'm assuming its when the wastegate cant flow enough exhaust so the turbo keeps spooling up and builds up more pressure... is this right? Is this a big problem, I thought the bov would take care of the extra pressure, unlness the bov is just to take the big spikes out when the throttlebody closes?
Old 03-23-2005, 07:51 PM
Trial User

Default Re: (eag36)

all the good at a good price

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1166909