Notices

JRSC, valves vs exhaust.....round 1 - FIGHT!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JRSC, valves vs exhaust.....round 1 - FIGHT!

my question stems from a (possible) crackpot theory that a freind of mine told me. I have a 95 GSR with a JRSC @ 8lbs. Some time ago i bought the Airmass "Thundermuff" (hehe) exhaust because it was on sale at nopi for cheap, it's a 2.5" system with a huge chrome "muffler" at the end. i had this on my car for about 2 days before i got tired of being looked at funny for driving a weed wacker, so i hacked off the mega (un)muffler and welded on a $13 turbo muffler, my car was quiet again and hooray there was much rejoicing.... however, my freind swears up and down that running a restrictive exhaust is burning up my exhaust valves because exhaust gases aren't being expelled fast enough, this concept seems silly to me as exhaust valves are around exhaust gases all the time anyway, that's kinda their purpose, but maybe i'm wrong??. Also, cars that come SC'd or TC'd from the factory never sound like a trillion bycicle spoke cards going at once into a bullhorn, which tells me that they use restrictive exhaust setups. Is there any validity to this crackpot theory?

I realize that i'd get an extra horse or five by having a free-flowing exhaust on my car, but what's the point if i drive slow all the time to avoid being the jackass with the obnoxious bumble bee car. One more question, are there mufflers out there that are both near-silent and long lasting? i was thinking maybe an OEM truck muffler or something, because right now i have to buy these crappy turbo mufflers in 6-packs because they only last about 2 months before rusting out and sounding like a cat in the garbage disposal.

Thanks
Old 12-19-2005, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JRSC, valves vs exhaust.....round 1 - FIGHT! (HeLLWiZerD)

Why is it that you think your exhaust is restrictive? 2.5" is fine for your setup, superchargers don't rely on exhuast as much as turbo setups. Is your muffler a straight through 2.5"?
Old 12-19-2005, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ask him why the million other hondas that come with super restrictive 1.75" exhaust stock arent burning up valves.

he doesnt know what hes talking about, lack of backpressure is what burns valves.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:48 PM

ryan: a turbo muffler is not straight through, no.

corey: the million other hondas aren't boosting, which is why i think he thought that a non-straight-through muffler coupled with boost would burn up valves, but it appears that this isn't the case.

i've been looking into the rsr ex mag setup, but if i could get a 2.5" conventional muffler that could offer quietness, than i'd be happy, i was thinking maybe like a stock camaro muffler or something (provided it's small enough to fit between the rear axle and the bumper)

thanks a lot for the input
Old 12-19-2005, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HeLLWiZerD)

i have the RSR ex mag and on my GSR hatch it didnt sound any louder than stock yet ive seen a stock GSR dyno 10WHP with just the addition of this exhaust with no tune. i would definatley recommend this exhaust if you are willing to buy a new one otherwise vibrant makes flat black muffler that are straight through but are quieter than your typical fart cannon.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:02 PM

stock sounding is right where i'd like to be, and i'd be hard pressed to validate the silly claims of massive horsepower gains through something like exhaust, i think the RS*R'll do what i need it to, and from what i've read (place correction here) it's a non-straight-through with 2.75" piping, does that sound right?
Old 12-19-2005, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

keep the exhaust setup you have.. I wanted a turbo muffler to get rid of the horrible drone noise, but it wouldnt fit in my situation(prelude).. I went with a single chamber muffler, still loud..
Old 12-19-2005, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HeLLWiZerD)

no not straight though, i believe its only 2.36" though ill go in the garage and measure mine right now (its off the car)
Old 12-19-2005, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (CoreyR)

yep its just under 2.5"
Old 12-19-2005, 05:46 PM

garn: thanks for the advice, but i go through about 6 turbo mufflers a year right now, so a change is needed.

corey: o i c, i thought it was bigger for some reason... but it's all good, i doubt .14" of exhaust pipe sizing makes even a microscopic difference where it counts. i'm gonna look into OEM muffler sizes from different car companies, see if it can find one that matches, if not, i'll just go with the rs*r, thanks again for all the info