Notices

exhaust: quiet vs. fast

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 11:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust: quiet vs. fast

I posted this in the "What JRSC setup are you running" thread, but got almost no help, so please don't scream at me for cross-posting.

Please help a newbie. I plan to JRSC my D16 but I need to get my exhaust work done now. (Huge crack in exhaust manifold.) The plan for the car is to DD it with occasional track racing on weekends. The idea is to have a low-key car that can change characteristics for racing, kinda like a sleeper. I already bought the Kami with 2.5" collector (thanks for the help, SovX). I'll be getting a 2.5" high flow cat either from Random or SMSP. The tricky part is the exhaust & muffler. I really like the Apex WS2 sound, but I don't particularly like the size of the exhaust tip or the top end restriction of the 2.36" piping and chambered muffler.
- I could get a straight-through with a big resonator in front of it (Dave @ SMSP's advice).
- Or I could run a straight-through with no resonator and a silencer.
- What I've seen someone say is that he put something called a flex pipe(?) in his exhaust and just bypassed the catback for track days. If that's easy, then I could put a WS2 muffler on there and live with a few lost lb-ft while driving in the civilized world. (Still need to figure a way to shrink the exhaust tip though.)

What do you experts advise?
Old 09-26-2006, 01:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: exhaust: quiet vs. fast (JimmyPop)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JimmyPop &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I posted this in the "What JRSC setup are you running" thread, but got almost no help, so please don't scream at me for cross-posting.

Please help a newbie. I plan to JRSC my D16 but I need to get my exhaust work done now. (Huge crack in exhaust manifold.) The plan for the car is to DD it with occasional track racing on weekends. The idea is to have a low-key car that can change characteristics for racing, kinda like a sleeper. I already bought the Kami with 2.5" collector (thanks for the help, SovX). I'll be getting a 2.5" high flow cat either from Random or SMSP. The tricky part is the exhaust & muffler. I really like the Apex WS2 sound, but I don't particularly like the size of the exhaust tip or the top end restriction of the 2.36" piping and chambered muffler.
- I could get a straight-through with a big resonator in front of it (Dave @ SMSP's advice).
- Or I could run a straight-through with no resonator and a silencer.
- What I've seen someone say is that he put something called a flex pipe(?) in his exhaust and just bypassed the catback for track days. If that's easy, then I could put a WS2 muffler on there and live with a few lost lb-ft while driving in the civilized world. (Still need to figure a way to shrink the exhaust tip though.)

What do you experts advise? </TD></TR></TABLE>

maybe they were talking about an electric cutout? basically it opens a flapper and lets the exhast dump right under the car.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:18 AM

Default Re: exhaust: quiet vs. fast (CoreyR)

Oh! Like this?
http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/QTEC/index.php

Seems like the split in the exhaust path would add turbulence. I'm no fluid dynamics scientist, though. Anybody have one of these?
Old 09-29-2006, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have that same exact one and I posted a graph awhile back ?Let me see if I can find it for you.
Old 09-29-2006, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: exhaust: quiet vs. fast (siblues)

Here it is

This graph is with a thermal 3 inch exhaust and then with the cutout open
Old 09-29-2006, 05:45 PM

On a mild supercharged setup, especially a d series, a big exhaust isnt that beneficial. If it was a track car definitaley, put 3 inch straight pipe on it. On the street, Jackson cars are really loud with large exhaust. I would suggest having a local muffler shop fab up a 2.5 in exhaust with no cat, the longest magnaflow resonator, and a straight through oval muffler of your choice( I run a 3in. flat black vibrant) Hope this sheds a little light
Old 09-29-2006, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: exhaust: quiet vs. fast (sc4dr)

e cutout man. i have the dmh unit. its a pain in the *** because it rattles apart every so often, but its only a few minutes to tighten it up. its well worht it to not get exhaust tickets or any other negative attention. i say go with the exhaust cutout and maybe a stock exahust, or like a 2.25" kteller
Old 11-02-2006, 11:38 PM

Default Re: exhaust: quiet vs. fast (blackeg)

Thanks for the advice and opinions so far.

siblues: Wow! Some of those numbers are higher than I can count, but it looks like the cutout makes a big difference in your tq curve--maybe 35 lb-ft at most? I'm definitely going to buy a cutout.

sc4dr, care to post an audio clip of your exhaust sound?
Old 11-04-2006, 02:06 AM

Default Re: exhaust: quiet vs. fast (blackeg)

Thanks for the advice and opinions so far.

siblues: Wow! Some of those numbers are higher than I can count, but it looks like the cutout makes a big difference in your tq curve--maybe 35 lb-ft at most? I'm definitely going to buy a cutout.

sc4dr, care to post an audio clip of your exhaust sound?
Old 11-04-2006, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I dont think quiet is synonymous for slow. Loud cars just sound really stupid in my opinion, I'd rather have a full exhaust than a exhaust cut out flapper.
Old 11-04-2006, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: exhaust: quiet vs. fast (Flashmn)

Run a 2.5" twin loop clone muffler with a high flow cat. Low tone, but almost as quiet as stock. It is the perfect sleeper exhaust...

Then put an exhuast cutout in front the the cat.

You'll be making less than 200whp so I doubt the cutout will give you much of a gain. Maybe 5whp, but every bit helps at the track.
Old 11-04-2006, 09:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: exhaust: quiet vs. fast (Veris)

I was under the imp[ression twinloop mufflers weren't good for boost
Old 11-04-2006, 10:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

their probably not good for boost but if your planning on hitting boost you flip the Ecutout swith and it wont go through your muffler
Old 11-04-2006, 11:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jdm_dc_fan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdm_dc_fan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">their probably not good for boost but if your planning on hitting boost you flip the Ecutout swith and it wont go through your muffler</TD></TR></TABLE>

that's an idea. But the one I used to have(on my NA b16 hatch) looked like the curves of the piping were mandrel bent and the inside looked like a straight through muffler(no chambers to go through) so I don't think it'd affect flow too bad...probally less than a chambered muffler but not as much as a fart can n1 style muffler.

Maybe I'll try it out once I get my sol boosted. Besides, I'm only looking for a max of like 250whp(after I put in pistons, rods and the zex cam), how much of a whp difference can there be between a straight through and a twinloop?
Old 11-05-2006, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i would run two resonators and a muffler on my turbo setup, and its decently quiet.

They don't make 2.5 inch twin loops, so i suggest if you get a straight through, and two resonators.

also MAKE SURE TO HAVE THE EXUAST TIP PAST THE BUMPER!

it makes it sooo much quieter.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:17 AM

Making sure the exhaust tip extends past the bumper quiets the exhaust sound? Can you explain?
Old 11-05-2006, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (igo4bmx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by igo4bmx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

They don't make 2.5 inch twin loops</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes they do.... http://hondamarketplace.com/zerothread?id=1444528 but, I believe he's sold out.

I'm thinking about running one and a 22" magnaflow resonator...**** should be nearly as quiet as stock
Old 11-05-2006, 04:23 PM

Default Re: (broketuner-sol_si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by broketuner-sol_si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Besides, I'm only looking for a max of like 250whp(after I put in pistons, rods and the zex cam), how much of a whp difference can there be between a straight through and a twinloop?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Good luck hitting that 250 mark with a supercharged d series. With your setup, an e-cutout isnt going to gain you very much. I wouldnt put too much time into an exhaust setup, you've got a lot harder obstacles ahead
Old 11-05-2006, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sc4dr)

Ummm the OP is going with a SC... I'm going turbo D ... I was just mentioning how I doubt the difference between a fart can and a twinloop would be very noticeable.
Old 11-05-2006, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: (igo4bmx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by igo4bmx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i would run two resonators and a muffler on my turbo setup, and its decently quiet.

They don't make 2.5 inch twin loops, so i suggest if you get a straight through, and two resonators.

also MAKE SURE TO HAVE THE EXUAST TIP PAST THE BUMPER!

it makes it sooo much quieter.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Since I'm running a 2.5" twin loop I'm going to have to disagree...