Notices

JRSC question. . . . . .

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2003, 11:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JRSC question. . . . . .

On a GSR engine, JR sells a 8psi up-grade for there SC. What I want to know is, " is it safe to run it any higher with the CRV pulley or any other pulley?" I've heard that 11psi will make the SC blows-up! Is that true? How much psi can it handle safely? I'm also thinking about running around 10.5:1CR. . .

Jeramy
Old 01-10-2003, 11:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: JRSC question. . . . . . (WykidEH)

You can run the blower at 10 psi on the GS-R without hurting it. You'll just have REALLY hot air coming out.

You will typically read ~2 psi more on the boost gauge than the pulley is rated for. Ie, the 6 psi pulley commonly shows 8 psi on the boost gauge.

My 6 psi pulley showed 8 psi on the gauge. My 8 psi pulley showed 9-10 on the gauge.

If you free up the exhaust, pressure shown on the gauge will usually go down even though you're making more power.

I ran a 2" test pipe with a stock exhaust.

Sonny
Old 01-10-2003, 11:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JRSC question. . . . . . (Sonny)

What will the CRV pulley put me?

Jeramy
Old 01-11-2003, 06:33 AM
Trial User

Default Re: JRSC question. . . . . . (WykidEH)

I get 12psi in the intake manifold.

I've been beating the crap out of my ride for 2 years now with a CRV pulley. 2 years before that at 6psi. Many, many autocrosses, drag races and lately, a track day.
Old 01-11-2003, 07:09 AM

Default Re: JRSC question. . . . . . (Holden)

You won't really be making as much power as if you were to make the engine more efficient with the eight pounds. You should get a bigger cam for your exhaust side, and a valving & porting treatment for your head first. Then up the size of your exhaust. Raising your boost with the JRSC will just increase your chances of detonation. It will give you a little more power, but at the risk of grenading you motor. Then you should get some alcohol injection, and Endyn to rebuild your blower for you.
Old 01-11-2003, 09:25 AM
What is this crap?

Received 57 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Re: JRSC question. . . . . . (tzsir)

and Endyn to rebuild your blower for you.
hey look what i found! a can of worms!
Old 01-11-2003, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JRSC question. . . . . . (jtrbocrx)

dont go over 8 psi on that blower as it WILL lose its effifentcy call judd or kevin at magnusen in ventura who makes the blower and tell them what you want and thell steer you in the right direction. 10 psi is dangerous on the eaton M60 blower

Do you have ant contact info on them? What C/R ? Hoow much can I run with the JRSC w/Hondata?

Jeramy
Old 01-11-2003, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Running lean is not a problem with the JRSC as long as you have a good pump.

Many people comfortably run the JRSC at 10 psi without troubles. If you make many back to back runs, the air temp skyrockets whether or not it is 6 psi or 12 psi.

With good engine management, 10 psi is not a problem.

Sonny
Old 01-11-2003, 07:47 PM
Brrraaaap!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: JRSC question. . . . . . (Sonny)

talke about heat soak w/ that high of psi. You'll lost VE once it gets hot enough in there. Get an aftercoolr or whatever. Good Luck.

Blaze
Old 01-11-2003, 09:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Or buy a used kit, have $1900 in the whole setup (everything you can get basically), and drive it everyday without having to worry about reliability issues, go to the track run a couple of 12.5's and call it a night. That is a JRSC!

I've seen JRSC GSR's beat the **** out of turbo cars, and then I just turn and laugh at the guy with the turbo hatch that was talking **** and got beat by that little JRSC GSR. Turbos aren't everything, sure add more boost to a turbo car and yes it will be faster, but then you always run that risk that every turbo honda owner fears, KABOOM.

Thanks for your time.
Old 01-12-2003, 06:53 AM
Trial User

Everybody on this thread trashing the JRSC or recommending a different blower or **laughlaughlaugh** recommending head work, cams and the "Endyne" blower job is full of ****. Sorry. I can't be polite on this one.

The amount of misinformation is astounding. Usually people just say, "Go Turbo", which IS a legitimate argument.

To all you trash talkers:

What's your 1/4 mile time on street tires with full interior? Mines in my sig.

Have you been boosting and beating the crap out of your car for the last FOUR years without anything breaking? I have. Try 40 1/4 mile runs, HUNDREDS OF MILES of autocrossing (as in multiple hundreds of runs), rallycrossing in the dirt, and a HPDE on a real race track, redlining 3rd and 4th constantly for multiple 25 minute sessions.

A 10psi JRSC GSR is an awesome setup for REAL racing, not just bragging to your friends in the KMart parking lot.

BTW: I don't even have a standalone engine management system and have never been in for dyno tuning.
Old 01-12-2003, 07:20 AM

What's your 1/4 mile time on street tires with full interior?

12.5@119

I have done everything with my car you have except rallycrossing in the dirt. I have a buddy with a jrsc Itr. Its fun to drive from 1500-4000 but it just never gets fast. It is enjoyable to drive in traffic though.
Old 01-12-2003, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have to agree with holden.

I've run my blower on two cars now (first one got totaled) and have never had any problems. Both on bone stock B18C1 engines.

I am running a 8psi pulley and have stepped up to a Hondata 4B but not because I needed to, I am in the process of becoming a Dealer/Tuner.

Both JRSC and Turbo kits come with minimal, cost effective (for the company) band aids to deliver the fuel safely, but with gains to be had.

My first car Dynoed at 220hp with an AF of 11.9-12.0 at WOT. Still rich as hell but the jackass who was running the Dyno didn't want to go leaner then that (guess he was scared as he usually tunes Ford's ) but this was also with a tailpipe O2 sensor, but my cat was still in, meaning I was actually richer then that.

You could actually see a cloud of fuel from the exhaust when at WOT it was so rich. Since then I 've been using a wideband 02 to make adjustments and the power to gain is good noticable. I haven't made it the dyno with the new car but intend to by spring. My point, there is power to gain with proper engine management in any system, but a good amount with JRSC as the bandaids that come with the kit keep it on the extreme safe/ rich side, and kill the timing across the board.

As for the Turbo vs. SC debate it's all depends on what your going to do with it. As Holden stated he has Auto-x the hell out of his with no problems and all the advantages of a flat torqe curve with the SC, and has the power as soon as you hit the pedal, which is nice in everyday driving as well. Feels like a V6 at low RPM's.

the turbo is the way to go if you live at the dragstrip. You can adjust boost to get the power for only a couple runs, but it could come with a price. Also you only run for 14 or less seconds at the drag, but how many succesful honda turbo's do you see at Auto-x where WOT must be maintained for extended durations? And if the heat of the JRSC is so much why don't they melt like a turbo in these conditions?

You will love either choice, as boost rules.
Old 01-12-2003, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JRSC question. . . . . . (Turismo)

AMEN.
Holden and Turismo couldn't have said it better. Holden knows the same people I do that run mid 12's in the quarter with JRSC (Rboosted717, JRcivic, BoostedEX, and of course you have SChybrid that runs 12.1's consistantly. Please don't hate on what you don't know, because it makes you look like a dumbass.

Old 01-12-2003, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That would be nice if we could put a bigger blower on our cars, but we can't be cause of the amount of room we have inside the engine bay. I run 11psi on my car with the M62 and have no problems at all. With good tuning it can be done without any problems. Yes they do create a lot of heat at that boost level but that is the only drawback. We have built an Air/Water intercooler for it and it seems to work very well, even though we don't have dyno #'s for the before and after you can definately feel a big differance. We have intake temp gauges hooked up to it and the heat is decreased half of what it normally is on a 8psi SI. Go to teamklr.com (if the site is up yet) and you can check out the pictures of it. Or go to hostboard.com and go to forced induction integras and search for JRSC intercooler to see pics. I personally love turbos and plan on doing a built turbo LS motor by the end of the summer. I know that the JRSC has it's limits but is still very reliable and fast for a daily driver. A lot of people that have them on there GSR's can go to the track with slicks and run high 12's to low 13's with it and are happy with that. They don't care to be the fastest honda on the road, they just want reliability and that's what they get. Everybody can debate this subject but it won't get anywhere. People do what they want to do to there cars for there reasons, and only there reasons.

Thank You.
Old 01-12-2003, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JRSC question. . . . . . (speedy108)

Thanks for all of the replies. I know what I want and that's a very peppy every day car. I 'll post more on my set-up as the time goes and what it makes.

Jeramy
Old 01-12-2003, 07:00 PM

JRSC is a playskool my first power adder. it is good at $2600 5-6 psi ,then fuel pump 225l walbro 100$, oh ya more boost and belt 7-8 psi kit $250 , oh and the detanation right ok water injection kit $350 my god i need extra ******* belt better get like 3 @ $30 then pay someone to put all that **** in for that xtra 80 HP $1000 = like $4400 when all said and done your freind says go hondata and it will run much better. ok no prob right $400 new RC330cc, and hondata at $750 oh and dyno time duh $250 you make 20 more HP then before and you are out $5800 for 100HP you can get a drag kit for $2700 and make the same power ???????????? think about it
I didn't know you couldnt install and tune the JRSC set-up yourself. I guess I got a pretty good deal at $1800 for a new GSR kit with the 255 walbro, and $285 for new RC440's! And wouldn't you know it, the belt that come with it fit, even with the $40 used pulleys!

I thought the turbo guys needed bigger injectors, bigger fuel pumps, and some kind of engine management too? I thought they also liked to dyno tune to maximise their setups. I did't realize they were slapping that drag kit on stock engines with no tuning,....WOW!