Notices

I'm Tapping my oil pan and i have a quick question!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm Tapping my oil pan and i have a quick question!

Ok so just to clarify, I should be tapping the pan in the middle of the deep end as high as i can right?
its for a y8

and then what size of fitting should i use....right now i have two fittings, a 90 degree with a 3/8 inch inlet and outlet (the fitting itself is like 3/4 of an inch but the actual hole is 3/8) and another fitting that is the same size but a 45 degree angle instead...do i need an even bigger size (cause i think i heard somewhere that i need a 1/2 minimum and that 5/8 is ideal...but that's friggin HUGE!)

....if you guys could post up some pics of your tapped oil pans i would be very helpful!

Thanks guys
patrick

Old 07-13-2007, 08:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I'm Tapping my oil pan and i have a quick question! (patrickd_21)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by patrickd_21 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok so just to clarify, I should be tapping the pan in the middle of the deep end as high as i can right?
its for a y8

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, but be careful of the orientation in terms of bolt holes..you don't want a fitting in the way of a bolt.

Your return fitting should fit whatever line your using (duh) and the reason people use 1/2" inch is because it's only gravity fed, so you want as little resistance as possible, and for NO oil to get backed up in that line. Better safe than sorry

Here's a pic of mine..

Old 07-13-2007, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I'm Tapping my oil pan and i have a quick question! (turboteg2nv)

ok thatnks alot man

any one else have any input?
Old 07-13-2007, 10:07 AM

Default Re: I'm Tapping my oil pan and i have a quick question! (patrickd_21)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by patrickd_21 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok thatnks alot man

any one else have any input?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah dont put thread tape on flare fittings. only on pipe fittings. not directed at you but in the picture....

you could also pour four quarts (one gallon) of fluid, water whatever, in the pan see how high that is and just make sure its above that line then orientate the fitting for your setup.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I'm Tapping my oil pan and i have a quick question! (agrn93ls)

that's a pretty good idea! thanks man

and i also have another question..is there like a standard in size for oil return lines...like is there a size that 90% of people use?

and should i use my 90 degree or the 45 degree fitting?
Old 07-13-2007, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

really just put your return fitting abt 1/2 from the top of the oil pan. don't worry if oil gets back into your line when the motor is off. a lot of people forget that there isn't much oil in the pan once the car gets started. no matter where you put the fiting at some point in time when ever you park your car facing downhill oil is going to run inside of there. just make sure there are no kinks in the line and your straight. installing a fitting in an oil pan isn't rocket science
Old 07-13-2007, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (bigbadboy)

no need for it to be on the deep side either. put it where ever it has a good downhill run and is not resting on the downpipe or manifold.
Old 07-13-2007, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I'm Tapping my oil pan and i have a quick question! (agrn93ls)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
yeah dont put thread tape on flare fittings. only on pipe fittings. not directed at you but in the picture....
</TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL maybe that's why my oil return line always leaked. I thought I used Hondabond but apparently not