Ignition tuning

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2004, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition tuning

I've checked some of the archived threads for this, but I'm still confused.

When tuning ignition maps (on my Zdyne for instance) what can I do to make sure I don't go too advanced? One of the threads mentioned advancing the timing until I see a loss in power on the dyno. That sounds sorta dangerous. I may be ignorant or something, but I thought that if I was advanced enough to see a loss in power, that I'd be stressing the hell out of the bottom-end. Anyway, let me know what you guys think. Also, any info. on the J&S Safegaurd would be welcome as well. BTW, any other aftermarket knock detection devices out there for me?
Old 06-13-2004, 11:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ignition tuning (ZhaGg)

I've got a J&S. So far, I've been tuning piggyback style- AFC for fuel, J&S for boost retard. What I used to do was advance the boost retard until the knock indicator light on the J&S starts to light up just a little. Although its probably better then advancing until the power drops off, I still think its pretty crude.

I use Crome now, so I can change the ignition maps themselves. Perhaps EGT measurements may help, in addition to AFR and power? Question is, what values we should aim for?

Mark.
Old 06-14-2004, 09:53 AM

Default Re: Ignition tuning (mgro)

Yeah, I'm not sure what I'm really supposed to be looking for. I want reliable power and I'm pretty sure that the ignition tune that came with the ECU is pretty conservative. The guys at the dyno shops I've been to just have answers for AFR. When it comes to timing, it seems like it's hit or miss. Anyone know how to come up with decent timing maps?
Old 06-14-2004, 12:13 PM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Ignition tuning (mgro)

The Knock sensor will give you tell you if are running too much timing. If you dont have a way to monitor this then the J&S is your best bet. And when on the dyno I believe you will see power start to drop off before you endanger anything, just advance it a little at a time. Once you find the MBT (Max Brake Torque) or peak power its a good idea to back off a degree for safety.

http://www.boosted-hybrid.com/viewtopic.php?t=200