Notices

tuning ignition table (uberdata)

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2004, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tuning ignition table (uberdata)

Hi, how do you tune the ignition??? I have a p06 ecu so it doesnt have the knock sensor, how do you tune it,,, for the fuel it is quite obvious you need a wideband,, you go by hearing for detonation thats it?? I'm sure theres other factors that you have to take care of. please give me some hints as my tuning session will begin shortly

thanks alot.

ps I only need to know the tuning part for the LO ignition since I dont have a Vtec head.
Old 06-18-2004, 05:29 PM

Default Re: tuning ignition table (birz)

I thought you just run the "base map"
Old 06-18-2004, 06:04 PM

After you tune out your fuel maps, slowly advance your timing from your retarded basemap. My tuner uses a knock link (knock detector) and advances my timing to the point where knock starts to appear, then backs it off like a degree.
Old 06-18-2004, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (liquidxEG)

apparently I have nothing to add...
Old 06-18-2004, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Bailhatch)

is the "base map" just like running the stock fuel and ignition curves? meaning, the chip doesn't advance timing when at WOT and doesn't alter the fuel curves?
Old 06-18-2004, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: tuning ignition table (birz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by birz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hi, how do you tune the ignition??? you go by hearing for detonation thats it?? </TD></TR></TABLE>

On the dyno you typically tune by increasing ignition until you don't make good gains anymore... that is a sign you're hitting high freq knock which occurs before audible detonation. You back the timing down a couple degrees for a margin of safety and drive around with a smile.

In the trailerpark, we run old junkyard knock sensors through an audio amp into some headphones so we can listen for knock before it occurs "audibly." By doing this you accomplish much the same thing as a dyno run, but you don't get the nifty printout and the adulation of your internet peers. Welcome to the trailerpark, nobody wants our kind.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by st00pid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I thought you just run the "base map"</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nah, you just run insane fuel pressure on an FMU, it's more reliable.
Old 06-18-2004, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: tuning ignition table (J. Davis)

More on DIY knock sensing: http://pw1.netcom.com/~bsundah...s.htm

I've got an interesting NACA paper on engine knock, in .pdf. Hit the Im if you like being emailed dense engineering jargon and suchlike.