Notices

i think the turbo is shot

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i think the turbo is shot

ok my roommate here has a stock h22a with a drag turbo kit. finalyl put the kit on and probably only has about 500 miles on the kit total not much.. got the car tuned and ran great.. put the car in the paint shop get it out 2 weeks later and heres when we find out the problem...

when teh car is cold (only warming up motor for about 5 min thermo still reading cold) the car boost fine.

car warms up to normal temp and only about 2 psi boost and a terrible whining noise that can be heard through out the entire exhaust system.. i have never heard this before ever and it shocked me.

at first i thought maybe couplers but i checked each and eveyr one ther are no rips or tears or hols and each clamp is secured tight.

i checked the wastegate that is fine BOV is ok too not leaking (hks ssqv pull type cant reall leak anyways)

when you rev the motor at idel with no load the turbo builds boost somewhat or what is expected with no load and you can feel and hear air being released from the BOV

as soon as you apply load no more boost and the terrible noise again through out the entire exhaust system..

checked and there were 2 severly loose nuts on teh exhaust mani on driver side, retightened because possible had a leak preturbo stil same problem...

checked the turbo and has substantial shaft play mroe tha i have ever felt looked a little further and see this: pix below......

looks bad huh? now do i really need to ask "is this causing the whining sound?"

the sound definately sounded liek a turbo problem and this pretty much confirmed as what i thought..

anyone else have any thoughts if this is defiantely it? i have no idea why a brand new turbo woudl do this after only 500 miles defiunately feels like seals are bad and the turbo had great oil line setup all SS lines and fittings just liek on my old hatch and the oil return was perfect with no kinks and great direct shot to the oil pan i am shocked

Old 02-10-2005, 08:10 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: i think the turbo is shot (Nextelbuddy)

thats not the seals, its the bearings. that turbo is offically fucked, contact ken at cheapturbo (phoenixturbo) basic rebuild is 250 including balancing
Old 02-10-2005, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: i think the turbo is shot (wantboost)

sorry i meant seals and bearings together...

turbo has a warrenty till july with turbonetics. but i wanted to see what other people thought.. i have never had a turbonetics turbo only turbo i evern had was precision. but this turbo looks and feels as it has taken a ****.

does anyone know why or what could cause this to happen to a turbo at such young life?
Old 02-10-2005, 08:13 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Wasn't balanced properly, thats all i could really think of. contact turbonetics asap
Old 02-10-2005, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had the same problem..... was the noise like a ghost OooOooooo sound??
I also have bad shaft play on mine.... getting it replaced with a Garrett turbo....
Seemz like our Turboz lookz the same.... i bet there both rebuilt turboz....
Old 02-10-2005, 09:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yup that turbo is shot , i dont know how much a rebuild would cost , seeing how the housing has digs in it also , my turbonetics turbo did the same thing, it because they have a **** bearing in them , just put it in the trash and get some thing better that has a 360 degree thrust bearing ,
Old 02-10-2005, 09:59 PM

Default Re: i think the turbo is shot (B18C1CYA)

I know why! you answered it in your first post or at least its not helped the turbo.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">when teh car is cold (only warming up motor for about 5 min thermo still reading cold) the car boost fine.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Even when the temp gauge starts to come up you oil is not up to any where near the correct working temp.
My car does not see boost till its up to temp for this reason as boosting it when cold will kill your motor and the turbo.
Revving the car to the point that you can read boost with no load is not going to do the car any good either.
Im not saying this has made the turbo go as 500 miles is not a lot but treating it like this wont help.