Notices

i think i have a boost leak.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 09:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i think i have a boost leak.

i was making 7psi pretty early, roughtly around 4500, now im making liek 6.8 at most at like around 6000 or something liek that. i took off 1 of the ic pipes today but i put it on snug as hell, i have tbolts and everything. any ideas?
Old 07-07-2006, 10:01 PM
BCICAN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: i think i have a boost leak. (playahwitgame)

So you worried something is wrong due to a 0.2psi difference throughout the revs? You're fine...there is no boost leak.

However if it takes you until 6000 to get to 6psi, then check every connection/hole from the exhaust manifold to throttle body. Usually it's the turbo to manifold connection or a charge pipe.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:04 PM

Default Re: i think i have a boost leak. (AF-P Dunc)

well its not only .2, liek right now it was 6.6. but the thing about it is that it comes late too. i dont reach that boost level until liek maybe 6000-7000 or so give or take. before i would acheive 7 psi at 4000-4500 everytime. and also another way i know something is wrong is thta before when i would have my 7 psi at 4-4500, in 1st gear my tires would break loose at around 5000. now they dont. boost leak??
Old 07-07-2006, 10:15 PM
BCICAN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well if the boost came on as soon as it originally did then that small amount of change is no big deal.

However, since you say it takes that long to achieve boost it sounds like a boost leak to me. Just check those connection points. Turn the car on and put your hand around the manifold and turbo area and see if you can feel any exhaust spurting out.

If that doesn't work out, then go to the couplers.....check closely for any rips.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:15 PM

Could be. Found out today I had a cracked silicone connector, caused a boost leak. Check vacuum lines? Make sure nothing popped off?
Old 07-07-2006, 10:22 PM

Default Re: i think i have a boost leak. (jared99)

definately will do tomorrow. but i finally get this thing running and tuned and everyday finding a new problem. i pulled off 1 of he ic pipiing today but when i put it on again, it was damn snug. tightened the tbolts down liek hell and everything. i guess i just gotta look again. its getting annoying though
Old 07-08-2006, 07:30 AM

i havent checked yet, but ive been reading about the boost leak detector you make out of pvc pipe endcap and a coupler and valve stem. do oyu hook this up to the inlet of your turbo where the filter would go???? pressurize the system then use soapy water? will any of the air get past the TB
Old 07-08-2006, 07:43 AM

I would think that would be more of a hassle than just taking everything apart to find the leak. If all the silicone piping connectors are attached properly, the most common places for me to leak is at the throttle body, the turbo pressure line that goes to the wastegate (hose pops off) or at the hose that goes from your intake to the cylinder head. I haven't removed that hose yet so it comes off and then I've got a big leak. Also my car is sitting so low that when I hit a bump sometimes the ic piping will scrape the ground and slide a clamp loose, then I have another leak.

Here's how I narrow down the leak when I can't find it. First, just take off the ic completely (don't really take it off, just disconnect it) and conneet the pipes (may need to find another one or anything that can substitute as a pipe) so that the piping is routed the same, but instead of an ic you have a straight pipe. See if it leaks. If it does, then take off the bov. See if it leaks. Then try to go directly from the turbo into the intake manifold. See if it leaks. Just keep bypassing stuff until it works, and you can narrow down what connector or whatever is leaking.
Old 07-08-2006, 09:43 AM

not that im shooting down your ide, but that seems liek a bigger hassle. iv been hinking and i can make one of those lak detectors and stick it not on the turbo, but the first peice of ic piping that would come from the turbo, and just pump it up with a bike pump of somehitng and check with soapy whater. i have a good idea where its coming form because ive taken off this pipe liek 2 itmes, but i thought i secured it down ALOT. the pipe make a 90 degree but it was cut right at the center of a 180 degree pipe, so the coupler kind of bends. not much but a little.i mean it wasnt leaking before. i think thats the spot though
Old 07-08-2006, 04:47 PM

im having NO luck finding this boost leak guys. i can even enjoy boost without it giving me problems. im real close to just selling all this **** and going back to stock. if any1 lives in germantown, gaitherburg, rockville, md area or close enought, please give me a hand. im getting REALLY sad abotu this whole thing. just please help me out
Old 07-08-2006, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is your wastegate tight? Especially if its internal. I have a D series, with a t3/t4 and i can make 15 psi before 4 grand.... I think you've always had an issue, just now its getting worse.

My experience, when i had a loose coupler, or charge piping,i wouldn't make much boost, but i could here my turbo spinning like hell trying to make that boost.

When i had exhaust issues, as in wastegate, it would be sluggish, and not build much if any boost either, but you couldn't here the turbo at all really.

So, if need be take off the filter for a short drive to really here the turbo, and listen, that should help you narrow down which area to be looking at.

You'll figure it out, and when you do, go out and do a few one two shifts and roach some tires, then you'll have a big grin, and like boost again
Old 07-08-2006, 06:35 PM

Default Re: i think i have a boost leak. (coneheadsracing)

well its definately spinning. i hear it well. it reCHES FIVE OR TAKE 5-6.5 LBS OF BOOST, BUT LATER IN THE rpm range as in manybe liek 6000. i woul duse to acheive 7 psi at about 4000. i think MAYBE and correct me if im wrong. that i might have a rip in the wastegate diaphram. i tried taking the top of the wastegate off the other day but it was too though and i didnt wanna strip the bolts. i might just take the vise grips to it if i cant find a coupler thats leaking. i thought when i spiked to 12 psi something might have happend internally. but everything is still in prestine condition. no signs of a bad engine
Old 07-08-2006, 07:06 PM

Sounds like a loose wastegate, opening up too early. It did that to me on my stock turbo and pissed me off. Fixed now I'm getting 14psi at 3500rpm on the stock turbo.
Old 07-08-2006, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: i think i have a boost leak. (mysupra87)

If not the wastegate, try this. http://www.vfaq.com/mods/ICtester.html
Old 07-08-2006, 07:34 PM

Default Re: i think i have a boost leak. (awdgsx96)

Ok, this might work, but as I was saying earlier, why not just bypass all the ic piping, route it from the turbo right up into the IM, and see if it works. Takes what, 15mins to do that? Then you've eliminated half the possible causes.

Not to sound all whiny or anything. I charge for that.
Old 07-08-2006, 10:13 PM

i can try that. but i think its the wastegate, becuase today at idle, i heard a little hiss coming form the wastegate. i dont know, hopefully thats the cause and i can get a new diaphram.
Old 07-09-2006, 07:15 AM

would my symptoms sound like a leaking diaphram?
Old 07-09-2006, 08:46 AM

?. i wanna take off the actuator top but those allen bolts are in there tight. any ideas?
Old 07-09-2006, 09:25 PM

can any1 shine some light???? diaphram????