Notices

i think i blew up my aem ems.... lol

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2004, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i think i blew up my aem ems.... lol

Well, today i got the bright idea to do a compression test, so i got one of the techs at work to do it (i work at acura), we did it and the results were good, so we put the plugs back in and try to start it and there was no spark, and the msd (digital 6)wasn't turning on... everything else seems fine.. i thought i smoked the msd box, but when i got the car towed home, i put my stock ecu in and the car starts and runs perfect.... WTF???

i have narrowed it down to being a problem steming from the aem, i was thinking afterwards that we never diconnected the distributor, just cranked it with the plug wires off while doing the compression test...

also my idle air control valve makes a buzzing noise with the ignition on when the aem is plugged in, but it is silent with the stock ecu.....

when i connect to the aem with my laptop all the maps are the same, nothing was erased... i even smelt the aem box, and it doesnt smell burnt (maybe it wouldn't, i dunno)

anyone have any ideas of what could be wrong??? did i smoke my AEM EMS??
Old 08-15-2004, 10:33 AM

Default Re: i think i blew up my aem ems.... lol (R THIS)

anyone??
Old 08-15-2004, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Destroying turbo ITR motors in Minneapolis, MN, U.S.A.

I wouldn't LOL if I blew up an AEM EMS.

I'd cry myself to sleep.
Old 08-15-2004, 11:50 AM

Default Re: i think i blew up my aem ems.... lol (boostincoupe)

Word of mouth is that AEM has been going over the top on customer serivce with the EMS system. People who bought them used (which means no warranty) are even getting replacements when the **** hits the fan.

I would try http://www.aempower.com forums first, then call tech support on Monday if none of those guys can help.
Old 08-15-2004, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by R THIS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">anyone??</TD></TR></TABLE>

R this, your EMS isn't completely ruined. The EPROM is probably bad. Check to see if the EMS stays online w/ the key in the run position. Can you hear your fuel pump turn on? I'm thinking your EMS will probably go online, offline...repeatedly or it will simply stay offline. If this is your problem, give AEM a call and have them send you a new EPROM. AEM will take care of you.
Old 08-15-2004, 12:26 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmm, sounds possible,
if you crank it too much during the test you can damage the ignition system

not suprizing that other electrical stuff could be damaged, especially finicky foreign addons like an ems..

but yeh, as stated, i doubt the whole thing is "blown"
this things are super expensivo correct? i'm sure they're repairable too
Old 08-15-2004, 02:33 PM

Default Re: (Tad)

the ignition system is alright... as the car runs fine wth the stock ecu plugged in

and when i have the lap top hooked upto the ems it stays online all the time.. all the maps look fime aswell.. and the ems is still following the sensors.... or it seems to be atleast
Old 08-15-2004, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

send it back to AEM. I had that happen to me twice on my old aem unit. What version of the software are you running? Mine blew one time by me plugging in my ems without disconnecting the battery.
Old 08-15-2004, 06:18 PM

Default Re: i think i blew up my aem ems.... lol (underpressure02)

i am using v 1.11

how long do you guys think it will take until i get it back??? i live in canada.. i think im gona order my cams now, and retune on race gas, possibly with my buddys hondata in the car, just so i can get it up and running again...

BTW, i always plug it in with the battry connected... i guess i should be more carefull with it huh??
Old 08-15-2004, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah man it was wierd. I have pluged and unpluged mine in on my new car with the battery still conected a few times no problem. Knock on wood. But my last one blew.

It should not take to long. Called AEM on monday talk to tech support tell them what happened. They will have you do a few things. But if you say your car starts and runs with a stock computer they will prob give you an RMA number to send it back.
Old 08-15-2004, 06:35 PM

ok thanx buddy...
i hope they dont charge me a fortune to fix it!!
Old 08-15-2004, 07:11 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well it may not be ur fault,
I wouldnt go into it saying "i broke this"

just tell them it burnt out on you or something,
imo it shouldnt die like that, warranty will probly cover it.
as underpressure said, hes had his blow multiple times for various reasons, so the product could just be finicky like that.

Which would be on aem's shoulders to fix.
Old 08-16-2004, 05:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

They should not charge you anything to fix it. You will just have to pay for shipping. Call them and say your car will not start with the aem unit anymore. They will have you check stat sync and a few other things. If you tell them you put a stock ecu in and it starts right up they should pretty much be like okay the aem is toast send it back and we will look at it. They are pretty cool over there. I used to always deal with JP. I had so many issues with my system when I was on version .94 I would call and would not even have to tell them who I was b/c I called so much.

The only other thing you may want to try but it is a pain in the *** is switching coil drivers. You may have fried a coil driver. There are 3 or 4 coil drivers I think if I remember correctly. To change the coil drive you have to unpin the one wire in the ecu harness and then change it in the software. They may have you try that.
Old 08-16-2004, 07:54 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by underpressure02 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The only other thing you may want to try but it is a pain in the *** is switching coil drivers. You may have fried a coil driver. There are 3 or 4 coil drivers I think if I remember correctly. To change the coil drive you have to unpin the one wire in the ecu harness and then change it in the software. They may have you try that. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Good point about the coil driver.. Either try switching to another coil output or go into the software and check for coil #1 output.. Crank the car and see if it is switching from off to on.. If its doing that then hook up to another coil output and change to that output in the software..
Old 08-16-2004, 12:34 PM

Default Re: i think i blew up my aem ems.... lol (tgreaves)

funNy you guys should say that, i checked that last night, and it wasnt a constant on/off while cranking.... it was like off...... then it would flash on, with no pattern.... we kinda figured it wasnt right, but it was still flashing on every once in a while

I called aem today and the tech guy suggested to switch the driver for the coil... im gonna attempt it tonight.. lol

do any of you guys have a pin out for a 1020 ems (or pin outs for a 1999 integra - ls)

that would really help me out -- thanx in advance

Old 08-16-2004, 01:00 PM

The pinout guide comes with the software for your ems..
Old 08-16-2004, 01:06 PM

On the software saved on my hard drive???
Old 08-16-2004, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it should be in the manual. I think I have it printed out at home. Have fun getting that wire out to repin it. It took me a while then after I did it a few times i got it down pretty good.
Old 08-16-2004, 01:21 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by R THIS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">On the software saved on my hard drive???</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yep..
Old 08-16-2004, 01:23 PM

THANX