Notices

Huge Noob Looking for Guidance

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Huge Noob Looking for Guidance

Hi all,

Ive owned my Honda Civic LS Coupe for about a year now and have come to the where I need to either move forward with SC or TC or sell the car and upgrade. Ive decided to get as much advice as possible before making a decision as to what direction I want to take.

I know that this may have already been discussed in other threads and if so I do apologize but here goes. I have a D16Y7 engine and am wanting to know what I would need to buy to get it up and running with boost. Im looking for actual product names, parts, builds and the most reliable psi to run reliably at.

I would be happy if I could run low 15s to high 14s on the quarter mile and im looking for that extra ooomph. The budget is not something hugely important at the minute.

Another issue is, I live in the UK and parts are hard to find.

Thanks for any help you can give me.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Huge Noob Looking for Guidance

If your only looking for high 14s at best... Just swap in a LS motor and your good to go... You should be able to find EVERYTHING need for the swap for about $1000

Just look around and price stuff...

You could find a cheap greddy kit.. But thats gonna be a lil bit more with tuning and all that other crap added in... But you will be faster than what you have set for your goals...
Old 08-05-2009, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you already have a ls motor in it, you could prob get to pretty low 15's. some cheap bolt ons could get you to cross over into the 14s. what kind of budget are you under?
Old 08-05-2009, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He's in the UK so maybe LS is a trim there or maybe he meant LX but he clear states that he has a d16y7 motor and he isnt asking about swapping engines, he is asking about turbo charging so lets help answer his question

OP, check this thread for plenty of d-series turbo setups. over 100 pages
https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...light=d-series

if you have any questions after that let us know. should take a few days to get through the whole thread
Old 08-05-2009, 12:40 PM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

He's got a 1.6 LS hatchback. It has a D16Y7.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

for those kind of times i would just do a B series motor swap, could do it cheaper and not to mention it would be more reliable than boosting...
Old 08-05-2009, 01:46 PM

im not interested in doing an engine swap. I dont see the point in kicking out an engine that has barely got 90k on it. Its a waste.

This is my car:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3049096

its a Honda Civic EJ6 LS Coupe 1.6 with a D16Y7 engine. I hope that helps.

I keep seeing posts about people swapping the heads with Y8's and then wiring in VTEC and a new ECU. I was hoping to find a turbo or supercharger build that would allow me to stay as stock as possible. I dont mind changing some internals, cams, camgears, rods, etc or swapping in a new ECU and chipping. Im just looking for the most reliable way without having to swap in another engine to get 15s or 14s. Not interested in NOS either as you cant run it legally here and its too much trouble bearing in mind im using this car as a daily driver.

Thanks sooo much for the help you guys have been so far. Thanks for the link Dpetro1, ill be going through that, dont know how long it will take me though.
Old 08-05-2009, 04:42 PM

bump
Old 08-05-2009, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you honestly get any b series motor you'll be low 15's real quick. couple bolt ons and deffinately be in 14's. its just gotta find the right stuff and know someone who knows what they're doing to do it. if no swap, then lightening the car and bolt ons should work pretty good along with still having a good daily grind car
Old 08-05-2009, 09:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bottom end:

http://fjdistributors.com/product_in...roducts_id=285
arp headstuds
new gaskets/bearings

head:
if you wanted to do headwork that would help, but not ABSOLUTELY necessary..
(if desired) >> cam: contact bisimoto.. a quick peek on his site didn't show anything for a y7, but I'm sure they can hook you up ..

turbo gear:

is this a street driven car as well as track??? by the sounds a mild turbo setup would work well for you....

so.. turbo: dsm (14b, 16g) garrett (gt28) holset (hx30, hy30, hy35) could all work depending on whether you want a quick spool, or don't mind a bit of lag.. check out the SOHC turbo thread for comparable builds for turbo choice....

manifold: a log or mini-ram from a reputable company will do well... check out the sponsors in the FI forum (spoolin performance, go autoworks, etc.) have good reps.. check them out..

keep reading in the forced induction forum (look at the vitara thread and SOHC turbo threads for comparable builds... figure out what you want definitively for a power goal, and then go from there...)

have fun!
Old 08-06-2009, 05:08 AM

woah lots of information there....thanks!!

I do use the car as a daily driver as well as take her to the track once every 3 months or so, which is why im looking for something that will be as reliable as possible. i had a browse at this:

http://www.treadstoneperformance.com...C+quick+spool!

any good? had a look at treadstone intercoolers as well...

Vitara build?!

I dont want to sound like an absolute idiot but everyone begins somewhere, whats the difference between quick spool and having a bit of lag?

ill have to find someone in the states who can send stuff out to me as there is no local suppliers for most anything good over here....thats england for you.

Thanks for the info so far guys!!!
Old 08-06-2009, 05:12 AM

after the bottom end work and possibly cams would this be a good choice?:

http://www.treadstoneperformance.com...3&phot_key=250
Old 08-06-2009, 05:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

cams arent the biggest bang for buck in turbo applications (cam gears yes, cam shafts no). evans tuning has some great builds on it and they even list all of the parts they use for building different turbo engines.
their stage 1 engine build is here: http://www.evans-tuning.com/engines_stage1.html

i'm surprised they dont have ARP rods/bolts on there, they're definately good for turbo builds. for pistons you want around 9:1 compression or lower for turbo. makes it more reliable.
smaller turbo=faster spool but less power. larger turbo= slower spool but more power.

a good tune is the most important part of a turbo build
Old 08-06-2009, 05:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would definitely see if you can find a y8 head to swap (mini-me SOHC).
Even if you are boosting it, that little bit extra from vtec is always nice.
Good on ya for staying with the single cam!
SOHC FTW!!!!!!
Old 08-06-2009, 11:32 AM

Right, had a look around and a bit of a think, just tell me if im going in the right direction to start with:

Skunk 2 Intake Manifold
A good turbo kit (manifold, intercooler, turbo, bov, piping etc)
Skunk2 Cam Gears
Bisimoto Cam Shaft
A nice shiny new rocker cover
arp headstuds
new gaskets/bearings
a couple of nice new gauges

might also get a nice CAT back exhaust (apexi, greddy, etc)
engine dress up kit

and im guessing i should be done. any advice on ECU? Chipping? Tuning? Etc?

You guys have been great on here. Havent found a forum with such a supportive member base as this one has. SOHC FTW!!!!
Old 08-06-2009, 12:41 PM

Bump
Old 08-06-2009, 01:19 PM

i wouldnt run more than 6-8psi on the stock block even with amazing tune. but make sure you get an amazing tune. i would swap to a b series. pull it out put it in that easy and you will want more power some day everyone does. boosted gsr makes for good fun later down the road.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:04 PM

How reliable would the stock block running 6-8 psi be? Any guesstimation on what kinda HP ill be getting if a stock D16Y7 runs at about 106 BHP? Is there anything else that needs to be reinforced for better reliability?

Im definately set on getting the D boosted but just as a question, how much could i reliably as a daily driver get out of a B-series boosted engine at around the same psi i would be running on the D?

Thanks again for all the help.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow... honestly, reading through the forums, reading Maximum Boost (By Corky Bell) and looking through basics of boost will help you immensely...

as was stated, cams aren't the do all, end all, although some builds benefited 50hp from the bisi cams.. run the bisi cam gear with it

You will do much better piecing together a setup rather than buying a kit... Although that kit you posted seems resonable... although I'd be curious as to what the specs are on the turbo..

B series definatly have more potential, but obviously you have to buy the swap and do it...

Stock block with a good tune will work fine (go less than 200hp.. that seems to be the guide..)

However, for the price, go with the vitara setup I posted... tons of guys running them, some up to 600whp..

skip the engine dress up kit and put that $50 elsewhere

downpipe and exhaust are all important... depending on how much power you want to go for, that will help determine the size...

so.. figure out how much you want to go for... go for the vitaras, read through and see what people are using to accomplish the same numbers you want to hit.. and replicate!
Old 08-10-2009, 10:50 AM

i agree with the vitaras if your looking to take the motor out and build it but if you dont want to take all that time and money then i would swap a b series because it will give you the times that you are looking for right now. also later on down the road if you want to boost it i have seen boosted gsr motors well over 300hp last for a long time with an amazing tune. i love the single cam vitara build there amazing. all depends how much time you want to spend before you can drive it.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you dont want to waste your 90k mile motor but you want to waste money on a single cam. you would be better off doing a swap then boosting that! Because you will say you want to be high 13 or low 14 second(or faster) car next year. B or K series it then when you get bored you can turbo it. Besides the single cam is not the best motor to start building. My stock GSR with a pieced together turbo kit put down 378 whp, and i saw a stock k20 break the 400whp mark. Just my .02
Old 08-13-2009, 06:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by reciprocity
Right, had a look around and a bit of a think, just tell me if im going in the right direction to start with:

Skunk 2 Intake Manifold
A good turbo kit (manifold, intercooler, turbo, bov, piping etc)
Skunk2 Cam Gears
Bisimoto Cam Shaft
A nice shiny new rocker cover
arp headstuds
new gaskets/bearings
a couple of nice new gauges

might also get a nice CAT back exhaust (apexi, greddy, etc)
engine dress up kit

and im guessing i should be done. any advice on ECU? Chipping? Tuning? Etc?

You guys have been great on here. Havent found a forum with such a supportive member base as this one has. SOHC FTW!!!!
Your saying you want a cheap reliable build thats gonna net you low 15s...

But them you go head to list all this junk... You really need to stick a goal... everything you listed is gonna net you a high 13 sec/ Low 14sec car... But its not gonna be cheap...

Just off that list alone your looking at close to $3000... When a LS swap with bolt ons can be had for $1200... And will be alot more realiable then a turbokit... HOW FAST DO YOUR REALLY WANNA GO???

Either way good luck with your project... But try to make up your mind its easier for everyone to help that way...
Old 08-13-2009, 06:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by reciprocity
How reliable would the stock block running 6-8 psi be? Any guesstimation on what kinda HP ill be getting if a stock D16Y7 runs at about 106 BHP? Is there anything else that needs to be reinforced for better reliability?

Im definately set on getting the D boosted but just as a question, how much could i reliably as a daily driver get out of a B-series boosted engine at around the same psi i would be running on the D?

Thanks again for all the help.
D-series on 10psi (T3/T4) = 225whp
B-series on 10Psi (T3/T4) = 325whp