Notices

how to test a turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default how to test a turbo?

does any1 know how to test a trubo charger to see if it works??
i bought a kit used cheap $200 and the guy said that the turbo charger was messed up. he said something about the bearings. but it looks and turns good.

any way to test it?
Old 11-06-2008, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: how to test a turbo? (Unseen Racer)

try and wiggle the shaft around side to side and end to end.

see if the fins are able to hit the housings. This will give you a pretty good idea. There is an acceptable amount of play but it's very minimal. You can find spec's for each turbo if you know what kinda turbo you have.

do a little research.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how to test a turbo? (Running925)

i tried that and it spins free-lee. doesnt get stuck or anything.
and its an "ebay" turbo. so im not sure of the make and model.
it says "sport JDM" on it though
Old 11-06-2008, 11:04 AM
i ♥ snails

yeah like mentioned above check axial and radial play, seals could be bad, might be a smoker.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (quicksilver1689)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by quicksilver1689 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah like mentioned above check axial and radial play, seals could be bad, might be a smoker. </TD></TR></TABLE>

whats "axial and radial play" and what do you mean by a smoker? like its busted and it dont work??
Old 11-06-2008, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Unseen Racer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Unseen Racer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
whats "axial and radial play" and what do you mean by a smoker? like its busted and it dont work??</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Running925 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">try and wiggle the shaft around side to side and end to end.

There is an acceptable amount of play but it's very minimal.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats what he means.

And what he means by "smoker" is the seals in the CHRA may be blown, this will allow the incoming oil from your feed source to escape past the seals and out the turbine, causing smoke outta your exhaust.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Silva Bullit DC4)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Silva Bullit DC4 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Thats what he means.

And what he means by "smoker" is the seals in the CHRA may be blown, this will allow the incoming oil from your feed source to escape past the seals and out the turbine, causing smoke outta your exhaust.
</TD></TR></TABLE>\

yea dont know what the "seals in the CHRA" are. or where they are located.
im new to boosting as i mentioned earlier
Old 11-06-2008, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im still tripping on why you made 3 or 4 threads on the same subject, lol!

CHRA stands for Center Housing Rotating Assembly. Thats the unit sandwiched between the turbine and compressor housings. This is where the oil (feed and return) and coolant (if ball bearing) lines attach, and where all the bearings and seals are contained, as well as the shaft for both wheels.
Old 11-06-2008, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Silva Bullit DC4 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Im still tripping on why you made 3 or 4 threads on the same subject, lol!

CHRA stands for Center Housing Rotating Assembly. Thats the unit sandwiched between the turbine and compressor housings. This is where the oil (feed and return) and coolant (if ball bearing) lines attach, and where all the bearings and seals are contained, as well as the shaft for both wheels. </TD></TR></TABLE>

oh. i know where. i just took it apart and yea. the gasket is blown as you can see.

where can i get a new gasket?
Old 11-06-2008, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im not sure. Being that this a chinese-built Ebay turbo, I have no idea if its parts are interchangeable with Garrett or Precision or Borg Warner parts. I suggest you shoot Mac (the Shodan) or Adam (Shister66) a PM.

In my opinion, you should trash this unit, and get a more reputable turbo (like ex: the ones I just mentioned), or a Greddy kit (being that you're in Cali), should you stumble across a CARB referee. These Ebay turbos have a notorious breakdown reputation, and being that it may already be damaged, you're basically pissing in the wind.

My advice, do some extensive research, talk to some of the turbo gurus in this forum, and poke around in the FI Sponsor's Only Marketplace. Good luck.

https://honda-tech.com/zeroforum/49

Modified by Silva Bullit DC4 at 3:34 PM 11/6/2008
Old 11-06-2008, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Silva Bullit DC4 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Im not sure. Being that this a chinese-built Ebay turbo, I have no idea if its parts are interchangeable with Garrett or Precision or Borg Warner parts. I suggest you shoot Mac (the Shodan) or Adam (Shister66) a PM.

In my opinion, you should trash this unit, and get a more reputable turbo (like ex: the ones I just mentioned). These Ebay turbos have a notorious breakdown reputation, and being that it may already be damaged, you're basically pissing in the wind.

My advice, do some extensive research, talk to some of the turbo gurus in this forum, and poke around in the Sponsor's Only Marketplace. Good luck. </TD></TR></TABLE>

yea i know. i want to get a better turbo but
1) some guy told me that if i use a Garrett or Precision or Borg turbo, it wont pass emissions with the pipping, intercooler, waste gate etc that i got.
2) i got the kit cuz some guy was selling it for dirt cheap $200. but he said that the only thing wrong was that the bearing dont work or something like that. but i tested it and everything spins freelee
and 3) im unemployed. so no $$
Old 11-06-2008, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Unseen Racer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

yea i know. i want to get a better turbo but
1) some guy told me that if i use a Garrett or Precision or Borg turbo, it wont pass emissions with the pipping, intercooler, waste gate etc that i got.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hence the edit in my post above you (Greddy kit)

But being you're on a tight budget, you may have to take that chance.
Old 11-06-2008, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No $$ and reliable turbo Honda don't go together.

Doing a setup correctly won't be cheap. At least not $200 cheap.

Save up and study, study, study. The more you know before you jump into this the better off you will be.
Old 11-06-2008, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Silva Bullit DC4 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Hence the edit in my post above you (Greddy kit)

But being you're on a tight budget, you may have to take that chance. </TD></TR></TABLE>
yea i know. but will a greddy turbo work with the pipping, intercooler, mani etc that i got???

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NEOC03 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The more you know before you jump into this the better off you will be</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea i know. thats why ive been asking a **** load of questions
Old 11-06-2008, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Quit saying "Yea I know", 'cuz you don't know $hit ... SEARCH fukr SEARCH.
Old 11-06-2008, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (street_ride14)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by street_ride14 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Quit saying "Yea I know", 'cuz you don't know $hit ... SEARCH fukr SEARCH.</TD></TR></TABLE>

shut the fck up!
i meant yea i know about my tight budget!
your a fcking idiot
Old 11-06-2008, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

and there goes your help....there is tons and tons of threads on this subject....you cant just expect to ask and have all of your basic questions answered without any work on your part.....thats what the search button is for....so we dont have a new one of these threads started every hour....

I suggest a book, like maximum boost by corky bell....everyone will tell you the book is outdated, but half of them probaly havent read it themselves, and the other half is partially correct because turbo technology has come a long way since the book was written. It will however get your feet wet so you have some idea what your getting into, because as much as you may not want to admit it, you only get 2 out of 3....cheap, reliable, or fast...pick you poison
Old 11-06-2008, 09:24 PM

Go search, you opened several threads about the same subject..The best info you can get is the info that you will find by yourself!!
Old 11-07-2008, 06:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (RubenPrelude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RubenPrelude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Go search, you opened several threads about the same subject..The best info you can get is the info that you will find by yourself!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats what i have been doing but i cant find one
Old 11-07-2008, 08:57 AM

Dude, seriously.. I typed at Google: testing turbo and the first hit is very usuable for you. You didn't any f*cking searching. Normally I don't react this hard but the last time it seems to be common that people are so dumb, because they don't do research!
Old 11-07-2008, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (RubenPrelude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RubenPrelude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Dude, seriously.. I typed at Google: testing turbo and the first hit is very usuable for you. You didn't any f*cking searching. Normally I don't react this hard but the last time it seems to be common that people are so dumb, because they don't do research!</TD></TR></TABLE>

ppl were saying "click on the big red SEARCH botton ontop" i did that and NO SEARCHED CAME UP ON TESTING A DAMN TURBO!
now if some 1 would have said "go online on google, yahoo, etc and search" then ok.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ppl were saying "click on the big red SEARCH botton ontop" i did that and NO SEARCHED CAME UP ON TESTING A DAMN TURBO!
now if some 1 would have said "go online on google, yahoo, etc and search" then ok.

</TD></TR></TABLE>you might be right I dont know...sometimes you have to think a little bit I just searched ebay turbo and came up with this

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1568081

here is what you are heading for with that turbo
Old 11-07-2008, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (srmofo)

I've seen $195 ebay turbos, new. Unfortunately you got jacked. Also you need to put some heart & thinking into how and where you search. Since turbo are used on many other cars besides Hondas, more importantly they don't come stock on 99% of Hondas, that means google will work as well. You also have to try more than just 3-4 words/searches.

If you don't want the usually "go search" responses, do what at least 1 n00b does every day - understand it IS a common question that's out there, and LEARN how to search EFFECTIVELY. Look at the user-input search queries on the search page - if H-T let everyone post their question before searching, there'd be no H-T - a new thread would be on page 10 after an hour.

And no I'm not an idiot; you shout that every time someone disagrees with you.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:48 PM

"ppl were saying "click on the big red SEARCH botton ontop" i did that and NO SEARCHED CAME UP ON TESTING A DAMN TURBO!
now if some 1 would have said "go online on google, yahoo, etc and search" then ok"
Wtf?How old are you? Did you got brains when you were born?When you have a common sense you always start to search on the internet..
Old 11-07-2008, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how to test a turbo? (Unseen Racer)

Hey, how much Horsepower can I gain by installing those Z3 fenders that you're selling ?? ..... HAHA ..... no body wants to buy your Z3 fenders, might as well throw 'em out. Only you can order the wrong fenders and then claim "My loss your Gain." ....... you n00b.