Notices

how often do you tune?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how often do you tune?

I am pretty new to FI, and i was just wondering how often all you guys with turbo'd integra ls have to tune your car. I am always reading that the reliability of your car(turbo) greatly depends on quality tuning, and i was just wanted to know how often you have to tune. Thanks.
Old 07-06-2004, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how often do you tune? (tegsp)

tuning is not like tune up.. so you'd only need to tune once, and retune only if making modifications or having problems.. lets say you retune if turn up the boost or different turbo. the better the tuner, the less time you spend tuning. i'm still runing on cold winter maps.. i planned to retune for summer, but it seems to be running just fine.
Old 07-06-2004, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how often do you tune? (vtec.dc2)

thanks for the reply.

So its not like something you have to routinely do. You just do it once, and your good. Unless like you said, you are having problems, or you turn up the boost or something.
Old 07-06-2004, 10:39 AM

Default Re: how often do you tune? (tegsp)

BUt is that true. Because if you think about it, if you tune in the winter then driving in the summer your readings would be off or am I wrong. I would like to know.
Old 07-06-2004, 11:02 AM

Default Re: how often do you tune? (FOrSfEd)

I retune all the time but then again im always chaning something on my car.. If I keep everything the same then when the temps change I just adjust my iat offset on my AEM EMS to keep the air/fuel where it should be..
Old 07-06-2004, 11:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: how often do you tune? (tgreaves)

If you are using a stock honda ECU for Hondata, Uberdata, TurboEdit...etc...the closed loop ability of the ECU will adjust to changes in temperature & altitude.

Unless you have closed loop disabled...
Old 07-06-2004, 11:42 AM

Default Re: how often do you tune? (xenocron)

I'm pretty new to FI too and cars all together, and just want to know what exactly "tuning" is. What does tuning actually involve? Is it adjusting the timing of the intake and exhaust cams relative to TDC, to reach a optimum level of air entering the chamber with the amount of fuel and boost given? What kind of equiment is required for a tuning, and can it be a diy thing or does it require precision professional equiment?
Basically is it perfecting the air/fuel ratio with a given turbo setup? If that's the case what is the optimum air/fuel ratio for any given car? or does it vary depending on the compression ratio and amount of boost etc.. etc... Or is does it involve more than that..... can someone plesae correct me on this. Thx.
Old 07-06-2004, 11:44 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xenocron &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you are using a stock honda ECU for Hondata, Uberdata, TurboEdit...etc...the closed loop ability of the ECU will adjust to changes in temperature & altitude.

Unless you have closed loop disabled...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Any closed loop will do that, as long as its not disabled.. Even at that the stock honda ecu will adjust for temp changes even before it adjusts while in closed loop.. This is why on the AEM computer there is a table for iat offsets.. What I did was tuned my car at a certant temp and do all(or majority) of the tuning at that temp( lets say its 65 degrees F out).. The next time I take my car out and the temps are different(lets say 75 degrees) then I adjust the iat offset so that my air/fuel is exactly where I left it..

Once this table is set correctly it shouldnt need to be modified that much since if I retune again(this time its 90 degrees out) then the number I put into the fuel map will be for 65 degrees but since the ecu is changing the final number by whats in the iat offset it will make my air/fuel perfect at 90 degrees..
Old 07-06-2004, 11:44 AM

If you arent tunning your car yourself, it can get pretty expensive. So either you wait unntil you get everything instlled and working to tune, or you spend a lot of money. Like someone said, the better the tunner, the faster it goes. I saw a guy charge 70 bucks an hour, when he knew a hell of a lot less about the EMS than I did, and I dont know that much. On the other hand, people Like Mase go at it and can get your car putting out good number in 15 minutes.
Old 07-06-2004, 11:50 AM

Default Re: how often do you tune? (integra-modder)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by integra-modder &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I saw a guy charge 70 bucks an hour, when he knew a hell of a lot less about the EMS than I did</TD></TR></TABLE>

I know what you mean here.. If you talk to people who know what they are doing then learn from that youll be better off.. Im the only person who tunes my car and I talked to a few people who know how to tune to get some insight from them..

Sometimes the best way to get the job done is to do it yourself..
Old 07-06-2004, 12:46 PM

hellz yeah, Mase tells me he tunes in less than an hour for a full street tune when other take around 1-4 hours to do so.
Old 07-06-2004, 12:51 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tgreaves &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sometimes the best way to get the job done is to do it yourself.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I found it to be very true in this hobby.
Old 07-06-2004, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how often do you tune? (FOrSfEd)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FOrSfEd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">BUt is that true. Because if you think about it, if you tune in the winter then driving in the summer your readings would be off or am I wrong. I would like to know.</TD></TR></TABLE>

if you tune during winter, car will run richer during summer.. now, if the other way around, you may want to retune for cold weather, car will lean out on summer maps during winter.. by how much i don't know..
Old 07-06-2004, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tgreaves &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Any closed loop will do that, as long as its not disabled.. Even at that the stock honda ecu will adjust for temp changes even before it adjusts while in closed loop.. This is why on the AEM computer there is a table for iat offsets.. What I did was tuned my car at a certant temp and do all(or majority) of the tuning at that temp( lets say its 65 degrees F out).. The next time I take my car out and the temps are different(lets say 75 degrees) then I adjust the iat offset so that my air/fuel is exactly where I left it..

Once this table is set correctly it shouldnt need to be modified that much since if I retune again(this time its 90 degrees out) then the number I put into the fuel map will be for 65 degrees but since the ecu is changing the final number by whats in the iat offset it will make my air/fuel perfect at 90 degrees..</TD></TR></TABLE>

stock ecu/hondata doesn't adjust like aem, other than idle, possibly partial throttle.