Notices

how much should I sell my car for

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 02:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how much should I sell my car for

I thought this day would never come but I'm looking at sell my 97 Prelude. I've had the car since new and have always taken great care of my baby so, here is a list of all mods also the paint and interior are in great condition and 150k miles. serious responses only PLEASE.

Block
H22A4 Golden eagle sleeved o-ringed
Eagle Rods
JE 9:1 pistons
Arp Head studs

Head
Port flow 3 angel
.5mm oversize valves
Ti retainers
Supertech valves and springs

Transmission
Stock gears with Quaif diff
Act 6 puck clutch
Act 8.5# flywheel

Turbo system
F-max turbo kit
T3/T4 60 trim/E wheel (fresh rebuild and water cooled)
Fmic good for 500 hp
Tial wastegate 35mm
Greddy blow off valve
Greddy Power extreme cat back exhaust 2.5”

Engin Management
AEM EMS
720 injectors
Msd a6
Blaster coil
Msd 8.5mm wires
Aem fuel rail
Aem fuel pres. Reg.

Gages
Greedy egt
Greedy boost
Aem wideband
Auto meter oil pres
Auto meter water temp
Under hood fuel pres
Greddy profec b boost controller
Greddy turbo timer

Suspension
Tokico Blues
Ground control coilovers
Specialty Products camber kit
Front neuspeed and rear dc sports strut brace
Neuspeed rear sway bar
Old 08-05-2009, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how much should I sell my car for

I don't know a price, but you WILL take a hugeeeee hit on it. I say source some stock parts and go back to as stock as possible.
It will be easier to sell small parts and make better $$ off them, then getting rid of them with the car.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by m R g S r
I don't know a price, but you WILL take a hugeeeee hit on it. I say source some stock parts and go back to as stock as possible.
It will be easier to sell small parts and make better $$ off them, then getting rid of them with the car.
his whole car is done though

last year i sold a corvette that was similar. basically the whole car was done. it took me nearly 8 months to find a buyer but finally one paid fair value. i would honestly try and sell it as it sits for what you have seen similar go for. i know many on the forum are scared of modded cars but if yours is done correctly, show it. let the buyer know they are buying quality. it's all about how you market it, well, and finding the right buyer. personally, i would ALWAYS pay a little more for a car modded with high end parts. it saves me from having to buy them.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

General rule of thumb is this. Take book value of the car and add 10-15% of what you put into it in aftermarket parts and thats about what fair market value is unless you just somehow find that one person willing to buy it for huge money. Sorry to say but all the stuff we do to our cars there is almost no repayment when trying to sell it.

Use a real book value and not kelly blue book. thats BS prices. stick with Galves is best or NADA is second. Im in the car business i know what im talking about.

Ill give you an example.

97 Prelude SH with 100k miles, clean car no issues no rust nice paint is worth about 5400 bucks. Now id have to say you have roughly 12k in parts in that car. so your return on that is going to be 1200- 1800 bucks if you sell the car as is a reasonable prie that you might get some offers on and sell the car would be 6500-7000 Now im sure what you really wnt to ask for the car is 15 grand but it will never happen. if you sat on it for a long time you MAY be able to squeeze 10k out of it but why bother. Either keep the car or strip it down and put to stock and you can recoupe way more money much faster.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hate to sound like a broken record, but you're not going to get anywhere near to what you put into it. If I put that much work into my car I'd keep it, save a little more and buy somnething else. That's if you can arange to have two cars. Once you sell it it's gone, and I'm sure it's stil very fun to drive that car.
Old 08-05-2009, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Turbo-LS
General rule of thumb is this. Take book value of the car and add 10-15% of what you put into it in aftermarket parts and thats about what fair market value is unless you just somehow find that one person willing to buy it for huge money. Sorry to say but all the stuff we do to our cars there is almost no repayment when trying to sell it.

Use a real book value and not kelly blue book. thats BS prices. stick with Galves is best or NADA is second. Im in the car business i know what im talking about.

Ill give you an example.

97 Prelude SH with 100k miles, clean car no issues no rust nice paint is worth about 5400 bucks. Now id have to say you have roughly 12k in parts in that car. so your return on that is going to be 1200- 1800 bucks if you sell the car as is a reasonable prie that you might get some offers on and sell the car would be 6500-7000 Now im sure what you really wnt to ask for the car is 15 grand but it will never happen. if you sat on it for a long time you MAY be able to squeeze 10k out of it but why bother. Either keep the car or strip it down and put to stock and you can recoupe way more money much faster.
Wow! you hit the nail on the head with the 15K asking price. The thing is I dont have to sell it but I trying to get an nsx and just cant see having a boosted lude and a nsx.

Thanks for the feed back. I really appreciate it.
Old 08-05-2009, 04:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my pic
Attached Images  
Old 08-05-2009, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

agree you won't get 15k but i bet you'll get at least 10k, put it on ebay for 14k obo and see what kind of offers come in. you would be amazed at the kind of people who come out of the woodwork. keep an ongoing ad on craigslist as well. i really would not be surprised to see it fetch 10-12k if you can wait a little while and just keep marketing it.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i would say 10-12 range no problem! considering the inside looks as clean as the outside. need more pics for a better evaluation tho. but i agree with putting it on ebay and see where that gets you.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

more pics!! more pics!!
looks like a clean ride!1
Old 08-06-2009, 06:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I am in the same boat as you are. I am at the point to where I am starting to want something a bit more professional than a built, boosted RSX. I have about $28-32k spent on the car without the cost of the car (which I bought new) so I have about $56k+ into the car total. If I sell the car I would get maybe 15k for it stock or about 20k modded. I just spent $5k on the new tranny setup, tires, brakes, wideband, clutch, etc. I am never going to be able to get out of this car without losing my *** so I think I will just keep it and get another car later when I have the money to buy a new car cash, lol.

At least my car is paid off, its a blast to drive and doesn't really give me any problems at all (besides having to replace tires all the time, these Nitto Invo in my size are expensive [255/35R18])
Old 08-06-2009, 07:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^ how is the hell did you spend 30k in mods to only get 400whp? I have half that in my car and all my stuff was brand new not 1 used part.