Notices

How much boost on eagle rods

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2002, 08:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much boost on eagle rods

I did a search and it came up zero. I am rebulding my block with je pistons and I want to use eagle rods but the guy rebuilding my motor says they are crap and wants to use crower. From what I have read alot of you use the je/eagle combonation with no problems. I am not resleeving, just doing the pistons and rods and polishing the crank. How much boost can I run with the eagle rods. I am using hondata as fuel management...
Old 06-21-2002, 09:02 AM
pub
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How much boost on eagle rods (tygsr)

I think they support up to 600hp. ..lasting alot longer than your stock sleeves. I don't think you'll crank the boost that high anyways.
Old 06-21-2002, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's not really a question of how much boost can you run on them... it's more of how much HP can you run on them. Eagle claims to run them in an 800 hp race car of theirs... don't know how true that is... never seen the car. Some stores might tell you some BS that the eagles are good to 15psi... but I've heard they are reliable up to 600 or so. (I am running eagles).

The only con that I have heard about (that makes sense) so far is (and this is not from some haters... it's from a performance mechanic): The eagle rods are great... especially considering the price. But under high HP and rpm levels, over time, the rods slowly get worn due to the fact that the forged material is not as strong as the crank (honda), so the crank kinda eats away at the connecting arm of the rod. He did agree that the rod is a very good rod and great for the price..... I would agree.

I personally shouldn't eclipse 400 hp in the future... so I'd be sticking with the eagles.

X2
Old 06-21-2002, 09:09 AM
New User

if you can break them, you'd be the first I heard of it happening to.
Old 06-21-2002, 09:15 AM
pub
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How much boost on eagle rods (VaporTrail)

if you can break them, you'd be the first I heard of it happening to.
How much money would you give me if I could snap one across my knee?
Old 06-21-2002, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: How much boost on eagle rods (X2BOARD)

The only con that I have heard about (that makes sense) so far is (and this is not from some haters... it's from a performance mechanic): The eagle rods are great... especially considering the price. But under high HP and rpm levels, over time, the rods slowly get worn due to the fact that the forged material is not as strong as the crank (honda), so the crank kinda eats away at the connecting arm of the rod. He did agree that the rod is a very good rod and great for the price..... I would agree.

I personally shouldn't eclipse 400 hp in the future... so I'd be sticking with the eagles.

X2

What?

The crank never touches the rod though. It would have to be the berring that wears away at the rod. If that is true, then the berring's would technically eat away at stock rod's faster(their softer) then they would with the eagle's. Haven't heard any problem's like that.

Also If you enlargen the oil holes in the berring's so that they are the same diameter of the crank's oil holes, there will be enough lubrication that wear shouldn't be a problem.

ANY engine(entire internal structure) will get worn away faster assuming that the HP has been increased. Just a simple fact of having power.

As for the strength of the Rod's... your probubly going to be worring about other thing's(sleeves, detonation, ring land's) then if your rod's will hold. At high level's of HP, a good Forged rod(assuming it was installed correctly) is not something to worry about.
Old 06-21-2002, 09:33 AM

Default Re: How much boost on eagle rods (Bryson)

Thanks for the info, you guys have been very helpful, going to go with the eagle rods for sure!!
Old 06-21-2002, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How much boost on eagle rods (Bryson)

Bryson, I will check again, but when he explained it a while ago, it made complete sense... I will post exactly what happens... but it is not so detrimental as it sounds. He still would use eagles (he said). But as I indicated... I've never seen it happen. Still love my eagles... can't beat 'em !
Old 06-21-2002, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How much boost on eagle rods (X2BOARD)

actually they are both made from an identical material, forged 4340. I think your source may be mistaken.

BTW the 800HP car is jojo's car. look at the front bumper cover

[Modified by FFgeoff, 2:13 PM 6/21/2002]