Notices

Hondata Woes today. Anyone ever have this happen?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2003, 11:45 AM
New User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hondata Woes today. Anyone ever have this happen?

Ok, bad stuff happened today.

A client has a 2001 GSR turbo'd. Well done by the looks of it. 780cc injex with
resistor box and 3bar map wired correctly.

He came to me with a modified P28 ecu with OBD2 connector on the back and
S100 and basemap all provided by K&S motorsports (they are only the dealer so i'm sure this is not their issue. It was running rich, but running as expected with a basemap and they failed to enable the 3bar map sensor

I took out his s100 and hooked in my S200 (that just got back from Hondata
yesterday--apparently "reprogrammed" and tested ok) and hooked in the
Romulator and turned the ignition on, downloaded a ROM and started the car.
I don't know what happened next but when i opened up hondalogger and went to
datalog, his ECU started smoking at the location near the injector control
circuit/transistors and his ECU is now fried.

Matt, at Hondata, never heard of this happening--muttered something about possible ground loops with some laptops (i've been using this laptop for over a year doing many tuning sessions with it, so sorry...doubt that's the issue).

I looked very closely at the modified ECU and have to say---terrible work.
Hondata does not do the work themselve and I'm sorry if I offend the ones doing it if they are on the board Solder splatter and flux all over.
Looks like there is also more than just the harness conversion where there
were solder changes. Some in the middle of the board as well that I don't
know what they correspond to. Looked like it was originally an Automatic
converted to a Manual ECU.

Anyway, anyone ever have this happen or have any insight? I emailed Doug about the situation to help clarify this for when the customer sends it back to them.
Old 04-25-2003, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Hondata Woes today. Anyone ever have this happen? (GruvyTune)

I would like to hear something too. Bump.
Old 04-25-2003, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hondata Woes today. Anyone ever have this happen?

good luck with it.
PM me if you want to hear my Hondata horror story.
Old 04-25-2003, 12:58 PM
New User

Default Re: Hondata Woes today. Anyone ever have this happen? (0x64)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 0x64 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would like to hear something too. Bump.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i'm sure you would. This definitely was not some random act of god nor anything with my setup that i could determine. I hope to have something figured out.
Old 04-25-2003, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The ground loop issue is something that can affect datalogging, but not that would cause the issue you mentioned.

We will replace the ECU when when we receive the old one back.

What is strange is that it did not do this immediately when it was plugged in with the s100. Sounds like just a strange coincidence that unfortunately happened.
Old 04-25-2003, 01:17 PM
New User

Default Re: Hondata Woes today. Anyone ever have this happen? (Spunkster)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Spunkster &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The ground loop issue is something that can affect datalogging, but not that would cause the issue you mentioned.

Yes, that I know. I seem to have no issues in the past with this with many datalogging sessions under my belt. More than most can admit to, at least.

"We will replace the ECU when we receive the old one back. "

Thats great. You already got a call today from the customer and sort of gave him a hard time. I'll stand by him if I have too and I'm not the one who sold him the unit. I'm not about to get second guessed by someone on the other end of the phone who was not there to see what happened. I think after over a year of doing business and open dialog I wouldn't hit a stone wall when I call up.

"What is strange is that it did not do this immediately when it was plugged in with the s100. Sounds like just a strange coincidence that unfortunately happened."</TD></TR></TABLE>

There is a difference between the S100 and the S200, they are not the same circuit and there obviously was something that triggered this event unique to the S200.

In regards to the workmanship of the modified P28's, they leave a bit to be desired. I plucked off solder spatter off the bottom of the board and flux was never even cleaned off most of it. Seeing that makes me believe it was possibly related to the board itself. I realize you don't do them in house. The concept is nice. I'm glad I went with a harness converter myself.

Thanks for responding!

Torin
Old 04-26-2003, 05:47 AM

my first p28 odb2 s200 from hondata had some crazy problems as well. Not sure if it was a bad first batch but, me and Kyle and boosted hybrid were puzzled over this, when the ecu was fired it couldn't keep the engine running. It would start it fine and the car would idle but then die out. Then the hondata box kept blinking.

Sent the ecu back to hondata and although it took a bunch of convincing that we were not idiots, we didn't hook the eprom in backwards, and that it did not work b/c it was the ecu not b/c of my car. (they kept claiming there were no problems and one of the guys even told me he'll try it on his car just to prove it...guess what..next day he sent me a new one =P).
Old 04-26-2003, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hondata Woes today. Anyone ever have this happen? (prophet)

So Hondata does not modify the ecu's them selves? Does Hondata warranty the work?

I know some one local that does good work But was going to send my P28 to Hondata for my peace of mind. Now you guys got me nervous. What do you think I should do?

Mike
Old 04-26-2003, 07:36 AM
New User

Default Re: Hondata Woes today. Anyone ever have this happen? (rolow)

yes, hondata warrenty's their work.

I'm waiting for the aem ems bandwagon to come charging through any minute now...
Old 04-26-2003, 07:57 AM

Default Re: Hondata Woes today. Anyone ever have this happen? (Spunkster)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Spunkster &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
We will replace the ECU when when we receive the old one back.

What is strange is that it did not do this immediately when it was plugged in with the s100. Sounds like just a strange coincidence that unfortunately happened.</TD></TR></TABLE>

On a similar note with the honda ecu's, a friend had a chipped P13 that we had been using in a customers car (borrowed from him)......worked perfectly, never had any problems....we finished with it and didn't need it any more (customer bought an s200 and P28) and he sold the P13 to someone else.....the person that bought it plugged it in (the P13) and tried starting the car, saw smoke, and stopped.....he let the smoke clear and looked at the ECU, nothing seemed damaged, tried starting the car again and it worked fine, no problems.......sounds very similar to the situation above.....
Brian
Old 04-26-2003, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hondata Woes today. Anyone ever have this happen? (VaporTrail)

well seems both sides are "attacking" each other.
Old 04-26-2003, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This is one problem Ive never had. I hope that you get it all figured out and get that thing tuned like some of the other recent ones!
Old 04-26-2003, 02:57 PM
New User

Default Re: Hondata Woes today. Anyone ever have this happen? (93LSivic)

ok. update.

It was not my system that did this to the OBD2 converted ECU. I just finished tuning another stock P28 OBD1 system and everything went very well. I was concerned that my system was fried and that is why it fried that ECU. Well, I can certainly say now without a doubt that that ECU was at fault and was nothing we did.

Old 04-27-2003, 07:01 AM

I know that it was not Gruvytunes fault. It had to be the Hondata ECU. He has been tuning cars like crazy in the past few weeks with zero problems. I hope Hondata makes good on there warranty with my ECU. I sent it back to them and they will have it first thing monday morning. Hopefully they send it back to me just as quick since my car is undrivable right now. Wish me luck
Old 04-27-2003, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hondata Woes today. Anyone ever have this happen? (18gTeg)

I had an exact same problem today. I was using the emulator and programmer. After downloading the whole rom to emulator, the car wouldn't start but had a solid red light. We had no idea what was going on. What we did notice was that once you turn the key to the on position with the hondata and ls ecu, the fuel pressure would go up and fall right back down in a second. With the stock ecu, the fuel pressure would hold stead at 40psi of fuel pressure. After checking plugs and swapping ecus, we came to the conclusion that the hondata chipped ecu is somehow fried on the #4 injector controller. I don't know where this is located but the only cylinder being flooded with fuel is the #4 cylinder. We could see fuel on top of the piston. This hondata system and ecu ran fine in the car for almost a year, and something had to happen today when i was trying to used the emulator and programmer. I've done this in the past before with no problems at all. Anyone have any ideas what might have happened? Or know where the injector control circuit is? I'll call hondata tomorrow to find out more info and let you guys know. Paul
Old 04-27-2003, 07:37 PM

Default Re: Hondata Woes today. Anyone ever have this happen?

We have to realize that we are buying a used ECU. As long as Hondata, guarantees their work then I will not have any secon thoughts.

By the way, They took care of me really well including warranty.
Old 04-28-2003, 03:47 AM
New User

Default Re: Hondata Woes today. Anyone ever have this happen? (KOTSEMOTO)

funny thing is, the modified ECUs are not their work! amazing they can start claiming things like ground loops and whatnot when they never even did the work on the thing. i highly doubt they were ever tested on a real situation let alone bench tested!! When you call Hondata I advise you to talk to Doug directly. Don't let anyone give you the runaround. They need to fix this issue.
Old 04-28-2003, 04:30 AM

I also purchase my hondata from KS motorsports , I got the s200 with boost and the p28 with the obd2 connectors. When we installed it, it gave a solid light on the hondata unit, but was throwing a cel. When we checked for codes, it wouldn't show any. I was told that normally means you have a bad ECU, I sent mine out to Hondata on Friday, hopefully i'll have a response by Wed. I guess The p28 with obd2 connectors wasn't such a good idea now to buy, but it's an awesome idea if it works right.
Old 04-28-2003, 05:55 PM

Good new!!!! Hondata received my ECU and has already sent me out a replacement via Fedex Next day service. They turned out to be good guys in the end and stick behind what they sell.

Old 04-28-2003, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hondata Woes today. Anyone ever have this happen? (18gTeg)

That's good to hear
Old 04-28-2003, 09:36 PM

Default Re: Hondata Woes today. Anyone ever have this happen? (0x64)

I have been to Hondata's office and they do test every component they sell. Sometimes, sh...t happens that are not necessarily our fault.

They have 2 bench testers. one for OBD1 ECU and 1 for the newer K20s.
Old 04-30-2003, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hondata Woes today. Anyone ever have this happen? (TurboD16Z6)

UPDATE! Hondata received my ecu and confirmed that the ecu is fried . They do not belive it is hondata related, which sucks. Just be careful when emulator with the hondata unit, u might run into some problems. This is the first time something like this has happened to me with hondata and emulating so i really have no idea how this could've happend and neither does hondata. Just thought i'd update this post.