Notices

Hondata Review (updated)

Old 03-17-2003, 08:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hondata Review (updated)

I finally got the chance to put in some tuning time with the newest version of romeditor and the new romulator and I must say I am very impressed. The autoupdate feature allows you to change any setting in the ecu without having to hit any kind of update command.

The romulator is also completely reliable and didn’t fail to make any of the changes I put in. The other neat feature of the romulator is that it can hold the base map even with the car tured off and the computer disconnected. So you can drive around for a few days on a development map without having to burn test chips.

The autotune feature works much better than the same feature in the AEM software, it doesn’t have the same annoying quirks that can end up tuning your whole fuel table to 10:1 and the shortcuts keys and icons are far more intuitive and easy to use.

I also started playing with the Hondata gsensor module, which works very well also. I basically works like a gtech device but is fully integrated into the Hondata interface box and is viewed through hondalogger. It seemed sensitive to minor changes in power but I cant say how accurate the dyno graph is until I have a chance to compare it to some dyno sheets next weekend. I’ll post more info once I play with it some more.

When I sold my AEM a few months ago I was a little worried that I may regret doing so when AEM eventually got the bugs worked out. But I gotta say after using the latest Hondata setup that I am very happy with my choice. The software is so much easier to use and the wizard for creating new ROMs is so much more sophisticated than the one AEM has. For anyone just getting started in tuning this makes life soooooo much easier.

Two big thumbs up for romeditor, romulator and gsensor.
Old 03-17-2003, 08:15 AM

Default Re: Hondata Review (philo)

Good post.
Old 03-17-2003, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hondata Review (Diego Boost)

interesting, id like to play w/ the hondata software after using the ems.

....but waiting for the new EMS software release thats suppose to be kick ***, we'll see
Old 03-17-2003, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hondata Review (Diego Boost)

Thanks for the info It makes me feel better about being a complete noob to tuning
Old 03-17-2003, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hondata Review (symba)

better get a good wideband if u do your own tuning..
Old 03-17-2003, 09:00 AM

Default Re: Hondata Review (Mase)

interesting, id like to play w/ the hondata software after using the ems.

....but waiting for the new EMS software release thats suppose to be kick ***, we'll see
That's funny, I did that for a year and a half with my EMS. I had one of the first ones, #36 I think it was. The next release is always gonna make it kickass and easy to use and have a turbo timer and make coffee and etc, etc...

AEM is making progress but it just isnt going in the direction I was hoping. Hondata only do Honda, so all there R&D is focused there.
Old 03-17-2003, 09:06 AM

Default Re: Hondata Review (BoostedH23a1)

better get a good wideband if u do your own tuning..
Yah it helps, you cant run any of the autotune or mapping features without one.

That could lead me into my techedge vs. fjo comparrison. I'll keep it short; both are great and work very well, I liked the FJO better. It has a way more sturdy controller box for optional mouting in engine bay, and the refresh rate to the display is much quicker.

Yes I do have both, and yes I have used both...
Old 03-17-2003, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hondata Review (philo)

That's funny, I did that for a year and a half with my EMS. I had one of the first ones, #36 I think it was. The next release is always gonna make it kickass and easy to use and have a turbo timer and make coffee and etc, etc...

AEM is making progress but it just isnt going in the direction I was hoping. Hondata only do Honda, so all there R&D is focused there.

Good point, however, even with this shitty version, i still like the EMS over Hondata, I like having control over everything. especially the boost feature.

as falcon stated in another post, this new version to come of the EMS is going tobe fully tested, which should have been done w/ the previous versions....Whereas Hondata has always been damn good againset bugs, except for the fact it made my alternator go wack when i had it on my car(had to cut the alt signal wire in order for my alternator to stay on all the time, pisses me off, but it worked).