Notices

hondata boost cut... ouch

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2003, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default hondata boost cut... ouch

I've got a 2bd system on a p30 running my turbo GSR setup.

I am hitting boost cut when I reach 20psi... its definitely boost cut (its like I let off the gas pedal). My friend has a 4b, and we loaded the program off of the chip in my ecu, and the boost cut option is disabled.

Anyone know why I hit boost cut if boost-cut is disabled?

Another (possibly related) issue: when I was driving home from the track, my rev-limiter dropped from 8k to 6k. I could floor it in neutral and the rev-limiter would kick-in at 6. When I finally got to a prking lot, I flooerd it and rev-limiter dropped to 3k. After leaving my car and coming back, redline was back up to 8k. I have the 2bd, so I don't have the 2-step. I don't have the red set button plugged into the blue box... the only thing plugged into the blue box is the ribbon cable going to the ecu.

Anyeon have any idea why my redline drops from 8k to 6k to 3k, and then goes back to 8k after restarting the car?

3bar GM map sensor is being used. Also, the car worked perfect 2-3 weeks ago... just recently this has started happening (and no changes have been made to the car since it worked great)
Old 09-18-2003, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: hondata boost cut... ouch (servion)

I've seen Vtec cars redline at 6, when vtec was disabled because of a VTM code. 3k is the old standby of limp-home mode.

Maybe something to do with the knock sensor???, but from the way I understand the operation of that, it will pull timing, I'm not sure about adjusting redline...

-PHiZ
Old 09-18-2003, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: hondata boost cut... ouch (PHiZ)

I've got no codes being thrown, and I have the knock sensor disabled and physically removed form the block...
Old 09-19-2003, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: hondata boost cut... ouch (servion)

Could be a wiring issue....most strange problems originate there.
Old 09-19-2003, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: hondata boost cut... ouch (Spunkster)

Normally, I would think that that's 100% on, except that I haven't changed the wiring at all since the car was working fine. I could possibly see the 2-stepping issue being wiring, but I have a 2bd (no 2-step feature), and no clutch-switch hooked up. The only thing hooked into tbe blue box is the ribbon cable from the ECU.

Could the chip (29c256) have gone bad/had some data corrupted after too-many hours of use or something like that?
Old 09-21-2003, 03:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 09-22-2003, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (thrty8street)

no-one else has had this issue before? Could it possibly be a bad chip... if I just re-burn the rom on a different chip maybe?
Old 09-23-2003, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (servion)

Well, I spoke to someone at hondata, and they told me that id had to the a malfunction in the blue box. I'm going to try a buddies blue box tonight... I'll let you know what happens.
Old 10-01-2003, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

UPDATE: I tried my friend's 4b and I also burnt the same map (with boost cut disabled) onto a completely different chip. Car works fine for the first 15 minutes, then consistently hits boost cut after that. I can't race with this problem... please help!!
Old 10-01-2003, 06:47 PM

Mannnnnnnnnn, If i encounter this **** with my S200B im gonna be hella pissed, i Knew i shoulda saved for AEM
Old 10-07-2003, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SIReg9)

Anyone? This is killing me.

Is there anythign mechanical that can cause a 20-psi specific dhutdown? I really doubt it, but that's what hondata told me. They're no help at all... they told me its not boost cut, while I can't see what else it could be. I know what blowing out the spark feels like, and this is definitely not blowing out the spark. Its literally just like I let off the gas, except I can hear the excess air excaping.... the first time I heard it I thought it was blown intercooler piping. I have to let off the gas and then pres it again to start accelerating again. 10psi is perfect.... 20 is not.
Old 10-07-2003, 08:31 AM

If the ECU thinks the car is cold the revs will be limited... I've had this problem before... for me, it was a bad coolant temp sensor. That's my pathetic thought.
Old 10-07-2003, 08:38 AM
New User

have you tried another map sensor?
Old 10-07-2003, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (raene)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by raene &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If the ECU thinks the car is cold the revs will be limited... I've had this problem before... for me, it was a bad coolant temp sensor. That's my pathetic thought. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Good thought... I'll datalog a pass and see what it says. Changint the blue box fixed the rev-limits, but not the boost cut.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VaporTrail &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">have you tried another map sensor?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I haven't... I will borrow a buddies 3bar tonight and hook that up.... any idea why that would cause this? (don't take this the wrong way: I'm not saying that it can't... I'd simply like to understand your reasoning behind it, so I can get to the bottom of the problem)

I can post my rom file and a datalogged pass hitting cut tonight if anyone would think that might help...

Thanks!
Old 10-07-2003, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok... here's the rom... I'll get a datalog later on.

http://servion.cybercandy.org/0001.Bin
Old 10-08-2003, 07:20 PM
New User

Check my post here dude! https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=637265

Our problems sound very very similar, I have cleaned alot of wiring and bypassed my MSD coil, etc etc and this problems is still here, ONLY way to get it to come bakc is run it hard and boost high then it will either cut me back to 4800-5k which is where my vtec is set, if I try to run again it will cut me off again. If I trn the car off and restart it it will be gone until I can boost high and run it hard again. I looked at my Datalogger and noticed in the sensors section it says my 3 Bar Map is turned off. I wonder if when I am boosting I am going over what the stock can read and then limiting me somehow. But if I remember correctly the car will run like **** if you have either the Stock or 3 Bar sensor oprion on but with the wrong Sensor. THis is PUZZLING ME! I have a spare blue box also and wanted to try that out also.
Old 10-08-2003, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Boostfed)

I dont know where to start with my hondata problems or as it seems,

I run 2b set up with no 2 step either. 17 psi daily low boost. 3bar gm yaddie yaddie

Today on the dyno we are getting ready to go and do a base run and then first run on it the a/f jumps to retarded LEAN, so he shuts down right away. 2 hours later, the same thing is happening so he ditches the program and starts from scrath hopeing its just that program. Well same thing. Its everywhere. SO we get it off the dyno and take apart the turbo set up, thinking maybe the cat is clogged (nope not clogged). We notice a few cracks in the waste pipe and there were on 2 bolts holding the d/p to the turbo so we figure since the wideband.o2 bung is right near the top of the d/p that the gap could be allowing air in to throw off readings. So we get all the cracks fixed and make sure all proper bolts are in and hope that fixes everything. Well first run back on dyno and right away itr was up to 300whp, so we go to do another run and bang same issue again. We tried p28 honda, p72 honda, different blue boxes. EVERYTHING, We even traced all wires from everything in the car that could possible causing it and still no luck. I know the car is still at the shop sittin on the dyno where we leaft it eariler today. So I will post what results we get tomm as we are hoeing to have it all ready for the race day this monday.

I know there is a new honda that supposly fixed alot of bugs but still, Out of no where this problem starts happening. If i cant get this issue fixed properly I will forsure sell the hondata and get something much better!