Notices

Hondata or AEM

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hondata or AEM

I would like to get some feed back regarding these two engine managment systems. I am currently running with the AEM EMS system but I am not happy with the way my car is running.
I know this has to do with how the car is tunned and by whom.

I just dont know if I should spend the money for tunning the AEM system with Churchs or Bisi or replace the AEM with Hondata and have Church's or Bisi tune the car.

The most important thing to me is driveablity and not horse power.

Thanks
Old 11-08-2012, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hondata or AEM

Honestly, since you already have the AEM system, just get it re-tuned by someone who is familiar with the system and knows what they are doing..... The car should run fine on either system, its simply a matter of getting someone competent to do the tuning effectively.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:14 AM
It's wU to the sOLdiEr!

My tuner told me he likes hondata over aem
Hondata can still utilize some factory settings that are needed for the vehicle to operate smoothly.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I thought about that and I will take it to a good tuner but Ive read that the AEM system has rough idle and usually runs rich.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:51 AM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Stick with the AEM EMS since you already have it. Just get it retuned.
I personally dont recommend AEM EMS unless you need a full EMS system which 95% dont.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:54 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Keep it, and get it properly retuned. Running rich is based on the tuner in your case, and not the system
Old 11-08-2012, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im 50/50 i like that you can convert to a hal sensor and run COP where with hondata the COP is less to be desired on the eyes.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Chuonthis069
I would like to get some feed back regarding these two engine managment systems. I am currently running with the AEM EMS system but I am not happy with the way my car is running.
I know this has to do with how the car is tunned and by whom.

I just dont know if I should spend the money for tunning the AEM system with Churchs or Bisi or replace the AEM with Hondata and have Church's or Bisi tune the car.

The most important thing to me is driveablity and not horse power.

Thanks
You should ask your tuner of choice, and let him know what your priorities and goals are. They should be choosing the system for you based on their experience with either system.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree. The system is NOT the problem, not to mention with proper tuning an AEM EMS system will give you more opportunity for fine tuning. We work with the engineers over at AEM Electronics and have tuned several street and competitive race vehicles throughout the years, not to mention our own project vehicles. A lot of attention in put into partial throttle tuning to insure our clients vehicles drive with the same characteristics as a factory stock vehicle.

I do recommend investing on an AEM UEGO Controller (wideband), if you do not already have one, and wire it up to your EMS as described in the instructions. If you do choose to tune with us, once your setup is tuned Bisi will go on a ride along with you. He will then setup the closed loop parameters and calibrate the UEGO Controller, allowing your AEM EMS to adjust your fuel maps automatically. This to insure proper air/fuel ratios as your driving or racing your vehicle, no matter where you are, gaining better drivability and even fuel economy.

Shoot me a PM if you need some more information.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:25 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

This should go to the engine management forum
Old 11-08-2012, 11:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who has tuned your car? What is wrong with the drivability? I have a turbo s2000 running an aem series 2 tuned by Shawn church and my car drives like stock.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Who is going to tune your car, once you answer that, see what they feel comfortable with..

The AEM v1 is garbage, v2 is better, but if your tuner feels more inclinded to tune crapdata, then by all means, go with that... Whats easier for your tuner, will make it easier on the long run.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for all the replies sorry if this is in the wrong forum.
I am running AEM V1 if that helps
Old 11-09-2012, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Chuonthis069
Thanks for all the replies sorry if this is in the wrong forum.
I am running AEM V1 if that helps
ugh..
Old 11-09-2012, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ALL M0T0R
if your tuner feels more inclinded to tune crapdata, then by all means, go with that...
What makes you feel this way about hondata?
Old 11-09-2012, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by kbouchard1092
What makes you feel this way about hondata?
Long time supporter of the DIY community, programs like Neptune, eCtune, Crome, uberdata, stuff that paved the way for the programs like Hondata..
I dont support the way hondata approached the situation that happened with PGMFI.org a few years back.. I still tune hondata, still recommend it from time to time, but i dont like to back it, if i dont have to.. Most people go with hondata because its mainstream. Its a good program and does what it needs to do, and contiunes to get support and progression..but thats easy when the company has a ton of money involved in it.. Just my opinion on things, others have different ones, others share my opinion, to each his own.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:22 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

TurboEdit, BRE, or Crome Free!

That will save you time and money... up front that is! HAHA.

Regardless, before you get into anything, be sure to check or upgrade your ignition components. I don't know how many times people come in for a retune and their plugs are fouled, distributor cap is trashed, or a spark wire is grounding out.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a guy down here in San Diego that is AEM cert and went to the school last year. IMO church is a great tuner and all and has been a icon in the industry. But he has gotten to big for his own good and is disconnected with his customers. He is more focused on his expansion and his sponsored race cars and what not. He does not take the time necessary to go in depth with the car. They guy I have will redo your entire map and make it RIGHT and then tweak it with a couple street pulls as the dyno and actual road conditions will vary. IF your interested in his number PM me and I can hook you up. He is in San Marcos/vista area.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: 99 probs but a stolen car aint 1, ca, cerritos/fullerton

Originally Posted by Julio@Bisimoto
I agree. The system is NOT the problem, not to mention with proper tuning an AEM EMS system will give you more opportunity for fine tuning. We work with the engineers over at AEM Electronics and have tuned several street and competitive race vehicles throughout the years, not to mention our own project vehicles. A lot of attention in put into partial throttle tuning to insure our clients vehicles drive with the same characteristics as a factory stock vehicle.

I do recommend investing on an AEM UEGO Controller (wideband), if you do not already have one, and wire it up to your EMS as described in the instructions. If you do choose to tune with us, once your setup is tuned Bisi will go on a ride along with you. He will then setup the closed loop parameters and calibrate the UEGO Controller, allowing your AEM EMS to adjust your fuel maps automatically. This to insure proper air/fuel ratios as your driving or racing your vehicle, no matter where you are, gaining better drivability and even fuel economy.

Shoot me a PM if you need some more information.
The car was brought in from out of state and some things were added to the car to change the tune, But it needed a tune from the restart. As somethings were not hooked up correctly. The car now has a aem wideband but is not hooked up to the ecu, Waiting to tune to do that part.

Julio I am gonna drop by tommorrow before pomona, I need you to check something out for me.

Originally Posted by ALL M0T0R
Long time supporter of the DIY community, programs like Neptune, eCtune, Crome, uberdata, stuff that paved the way for the programs like Hondata..
I dont support the way hondata approached the situation that happened with PGMFI.org a few years back.. I still tune hondata, still recommend it from time to time, but i dont like to back it, if i dont have to.. Most people go with hondata because its mainstream. Its a good program and does what it needs to do, and contiunes to get support and progression..but thats easy when the company has a ton of money involved in it.. Just my opinion on things, others have different ones, others share my opinion, to each his own.
That left a sour taste in alot of people mouths. I feel you on that. But it does do the job

Originally Posted by N3va3vaSatisfi3d
TurboEdit, BRE, or Crome Free!

That will save you time and money... up front that is! HAHA.

Regardless, before you get into anything, be sure to check or upgrade your ignition components. I don't know how many times people come in for a retune and their plugs are fouled, distributor cap is trashed, or a spark wire is grounding out.
Come on... Crome free..? He has a aem unit in the car. Why would he go backwards? I can see if it was a budget build. Good luck with the ecu doing what you telling it to do and not changing its mind to a point.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LAMBO-LS
IMO church is a great tuner and all and has been a icon in the industry. But he has gotten to big for his own good and is disconnected with his customers. He is more focused on his expansion and his sponsored race cars and what not. He does not take the time necessary to go in depth with the car.
I Don't think thats true. I was down there a couple times 2 weeks ago tuning a couple car cause bisi was busy at sema. Shawn did a great job and the customers was very happy. Car runs like stock and does what it is suppose to. Fun turbo car to drive. Shawn also helped me not waste my time on my xlr caddy build. And I will be talking to him about my new cts build in the future when I sell the xlr cause he has great knowledge in the car. As you can see from the two down there. All tuners have there ways of doing things. Did you ask shawn to do partial tuning on the streets? Cause that is a extra charge.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:59 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Please child, I have been tuning for almost 5 decades - do not mock me. It was a joke... can you not read through the lines? Either way, Crome has fixed some of the saving issues that it used to have, or so I am told anyways. That is what I pay the tuner on staff for...
Old 11-10-2012, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I love my AEM v1. Got a great deal on it and it works great so far!
Old 11-10-2012, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by N3va3vaSatisfi3d
Please child, I have been tuning for almost 5 decades - do not mock me. It was a joke... can you not read through the lines? Either way, Crome has fixed some of the saving issues that it used to have, or so I am told anyways. That is what I pay the tuner on staff for...
I am not mocking you.I know you know ur shyt. But the op is looking for advice to switch. I would hate to see him show up at the shop with crome to tune this car, lol. Only thing I would do is switch to a v2 unit. But really, the car is ready to go. It needs to be tuned asap. I reccommend Bisi for the aem tune to him.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There are so many opinions about engine management... Again, it brings back to what your tuner prefers.

I like AEM personally, as I run AEM V1's for my Supra, Camry and Integra. Over the years, I've went back and forth with ECTune/Hondata and AEM EMS on my Integra, but each system has its own strengths and weaknesses. I am still on an AEM V1 right now on my Integra.

If your tuner doesn't tune AEM very often, then they won't have a nicely dialed in basemap for the streetable stuff.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by LAMBO-LS
I have a guy down here in San Diego that is AEM cert and went to the school last year. IMO church is a great tuner and all and has been a icon in the industry. But he has gotten to big for his own good and is disconnected with his customers. He is more focused on his expansion and his sponsored race cars and what not. He does not take the time necessary to go in depth with the car. They guy I have will redo your entire map and make it RIGHT and then tweak it with a couple street pulls as the dyno and actual road conditions will vary. IF your interested in his number PM me and I can hook you up. He is in San Marcos/vista area.
I have the same opinion on churches! there great but lately not to my liking on the last tunes i had. More customer service than anything i guess. I even made a thread on that very topic which brings me to this comment above. Making my thread about them caught the attention of a tuner he is speaking of, if im not correct, Dardan at DMT tuning. He does great work and is AEM cert. he will do a great job. He will be tuning my Pro charged integra on my AEM v2 soon.