Notices
Engine Management and Tuning Crome, NepTune, Hondata, AEM, MOTEC

AEM Infinity 506

Old 06-27-2017, 05:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AEM Infinity 508

Hey guys, I have probably a rather straight forward question. I'm working on finishing a few things for my 700-750whp B16 build and I'm torn on wheather or not to use the AEM EMS vs stock. My only issue is that I can't find a definitive answer if the AEM Infinity 508 can drive the Hondata COP. It may be a simple answer yes, but I haven't seen a write up on something like this before.

Last edited by MYEMWON; 06-27-2017 at 06:02 AM.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:48 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: AEM Infinity 506

Well, from my limited experience and observations of these systems with COP style ignitions, The Hondata COP system seems to be specifically designed to work with Hondata S300 and their various versions. From all that I've witnessed experienced, the AEM EMS and AEM Infinity lines work with other types of distributor-less systems, including GM Coils (AKA "Smart" coils), "pencil" style COP systems, and those using either an EPM, Hall-Effect, or CAS systems.

There are many 700whp S300 Hondata systems in existence, and they seem to perform well. But if you're planning to go with the AEM EMS, Infinity, Haltech, Motec, Microtech, Autronic, or even MegaSquirt 3, you'd be better off using the EPM distributorless system.

Again, this is from my observation and working with other people and teams when asking this question. Perhaps giving Hondata a ring-a-ding may give you more direct information you can rely on?
Old 06-27-2017, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Well, from my limited experience and observations of these systems with COP style ignitions, The Hondata COP system seems to be specifically designed to work with Hondata S300 and their various versions. From all that I've witnessed experienced, the AEM EMS and AEM Infinity lines work with other types of distributor-less systems, including GM Coils (AKA "Smart" coils), "pencil" style COP systems, and those using either an EPM, Hall-Effect, or CAS systems.

There are many 700whp S300 Hondata systems in existence, and they seem to perform well. But if you're planning to go with the AEM EMS, Infinity, Haltech, Motec, Microtech, Autronic, or even MegaSquirt 3, you'd be better off using the EPM distributorless system.

Again, this is from my observation and working with other people and teams when asking this question. Perhaps giving Hondata a ring-a-ding may give you more direct information you can rely on?
I totally agree with removing the distributor and using a cam trigger if I used the AEM EMS. I know I can still make very good power using Hondata but the tune-ability with Infinity looks to be super impressive. Maybe I'll have to just email AEM.
Old 06-27-2017, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 614 Likes on 486 Posts

You shouldn't need the Hondata COP box to run coils with the Infinity... It's a universal box and can be configured for any typical trigger setup, and afaik it has coil drivers native to it. It would be better (more accurate timing) if you had a cam trigger on the front of the engine, but the stock Honda sensors or the AEM EPM will be just fine if you just need to get up and running. You'll have to piggyback some wiring on or build a custom harness, but there's nothing that the ecu can't handle natively, where the S300 stuff is all tack-ons to add features to an old oem obd1 ecu. The Infinity is an awesome piece of hardware, I'm really surprised that it hasn't really seemed to take off in popularity with people around here.
Old 06-27-2017, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by spAdam
You shouldn't need the Hondata COP box to run coils with the Infinity... It's a universal box and can be configured for any typical trigger setup, and afaik it has coil drivers native to it. It would be better (more accurate timing) if you had a cam trigger on the front of the engine, but the stock Honda sensors or the AEM EPM will be just fine if you just need to get up and running. You'll have to piggyback some wiring on or build a custom harness, but there's nothing that the ecu can't handle natively, where the S300 stuff is all tack-ons to add features to an old oem obd1 ecu. The Infinity is an awesome piece of hardware, I'm really surprised that it hasn't really seemed to take off in popularity with people around here.

I have done some research on the AEM Infinity and installing it on hondas. Rywire makes a wiring harness for everything you'll need it just didn't explain anything about the Hondata COP. I don't understand why people aren't going crazy about this Ecu it specs make it seem a little epic; although I do understand it is pricey when compared to Hondata.
Old 06-27-2017, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You absolutely don't need the COP box. If anything, you need an adapter harness to use the stock single coil with the Infinity. They also offer a PnP harness adapter that will plug the ecu into your factory harness and has all of the flying leads for coils and such.

Why are you looking at the 508 instead of the 506? Are you planning to run peak and hold injectors?
Old 06-27-2017, 09:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by MYEMWON
I have done some research on the AEM Infinity and installing it on hondas. Rywire makes a wiring harness for everything you'll need it just didn't explain anything about the Hondata COP. I don't understand why people aren't going crazy about this Ecu it specs make it seem a little epic; although I do understand it is pricey when compared to Hondata.
Having just switched my Integra to Infinity I agree with you. So far I am very pleased with my results. I didn't go for the COP setup yet but I think that will be the next step for me. The AEM EPM with the Rywire harness would make COP plug and play and allow me to use the K coils I was using with Hondata CPR. If you decide to do that in the near future please post what you think.

FWIW I went with 508 for 2 reasons. Gives me the option to control 8 injectors if I want to run dual injectors down the road and if I ever decide to sell it it seemed like the 508 would be a little easier to unload.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 1158
Having just switched my Integra to Infinity I agree with you. So far I am very pleased with my results. I didn't go for the COP setup yet but I think that will be the next step for me. The AEM EPM with the Rywire harness would make COP plug and play and allow me to use the K coils I was using with Hondata CPR. If you decide to do that in the near future please post what you think.

FWIW I went with 508 for 2 reasons. Gives me the option to control 8 injectors if I want to run dual injectors down the road and if I ever decide to sell it it seemed like the 508 would be a little easier to unload.
Glad to hear someone else is using it. I will definitely be going with the 508. I like the idea of having extra room for extra injectors. I'm currently running twin Walbro 450s and ID2000s, so if I need more fuel injector then I'm not totally hosed. I've over done quite a few things on this build with the intent to go with a crazy crazy block down the road. I can't remember if I mentioned my setup but for now it's a fully built b16 with weisco positions (10.5 c/r) and Turbo Tuff 625+ rods and GE sleeves. I know the bottom end should hold whatever I throw at it but I like the amount of fail safes the Infinity offers.
Old 06-29-2017, 09:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not just fail safes. Having a working knock sensor is nice. I wired up my rolling anti-lag switch yesterday. My only issue so far has been the stock ECT sensor. I suspect it is reading too high based on how the engine has behaved for the years prior to Infinity. I put an AEM temp sender into the location I had my aftermarket temp gauge so my tuner and I can see how far off the stock ECT sensor is reading. I'm guessing the stock sensor setup in the Infinity is running about 15F too high.

edit - Turns out the stock ECT sensor was off so we made some adjustments. It's still off a little when the engine is cool but I can tweak that next time I do a cold start.

Last edited by 1158; 06-30-2017 at 01:43 PM.
Old 06-29-2017, 09:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You also get real, actually usable datalogging. Not the 10Hz stuff you've gotten used to, and real data analysis software. You'll never want to deal with an obd1 ecu again. I promise.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by spAdam
You also get real, actually usable datalogging. Not the 10Hz stuff you've gotten used to, and real data analysis software. You'll never want to deal with an obd1 ecu again. I promise.
I took a small data log for my tuner the other day and I was looking at the data and I was like wtf. There is so much info. A 30 sec to 1 min data log was almost the same size as a 15 min S300 log. It's going to be more intimidating tweaking things though. I really need to learn more before about it before I do too much with it.