Notices

HMT setup, but no boost pressure? vaccum problem? WG?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 03:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HMT setup, but no boost pressure? vaccum problem? WG?

Just recently put a HF/14b turbo on my jdm d15b. with stock WG, BMC adapter (w stock gaskets) apexi dual chamber BOV. homemade downpipe etc etc

Problem is, i can hear the turbo spooling up from about 2500rpm, hold it at WOT until 7000,
get a small sound from the BOV. DO NOT feel anything.

I checked to see if i have a leak in my intercooler piping, and i found some clamps slightly loose, but nothing to where it would cause that HUGE of a leak. (the turbo did have a bi tof play to it also)

Im thinking it might be somewhere having to do with my vaccum lines routed incorrectly...

internal WG off the 14b plummed directly into the back of the intake manifold where the purge valve used to go to. and my BOV T'd into the fuel pressure regulator line....

Old 08-16-2008, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: HMT setup, but no boost pressure? vaccum problem? WG? (Simple)

You and this guy have the same problem... https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/2367121

And this guy... https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/2365489

I take it you're parked and revving it too?

Modified by Silva Bullit DC4 at 6:33 PM 8/16/2008
Old 08-17-2008, 12:24 AM

Default Re: HMT setup, but no boost pressure? vaccum problem? WG? (Silva Bullit DC4)

nope, driving it.

i can rev it in the driveway and get nothing, just like everyone else, wont do anything unless i put the motor under load to really start moving some air.

i drive the thing at wide open throttle, and i can hear the turbo spool up at around 2800 and hear it until i shift at 7k (but very little BOV when i snap the throttle closed), and i feel nothing on the butt dyno. Ive been in plenty of turbo vehicles to know that i am not producing any measurable amount of boost. I've been in the same year civic, and the same exact setup and it felt completely different.

another thing is the MAP sensor is a peziolectric (sp?) crystal that reads vaccum, not pressure (boost)... so lets assume i do have boost.... i dont get a CEL until i have it held at WOT in 2nd until almost redline. if i were producing any measureable amount of boost pressure, (lets say over 3 lbs) wouldnt i get a CEL after a few seconds at wide open throttle?

Like i asked before.... do i have the vaccum to my wastegate at a bad place? allowing it to open up to my exhaust there for bleeding off all pressure? some say T the line in before the Throttle body, some say after (but could cause boost creep, due to it not opening up soon enough) or could turbo slop really be so bad that i could indeed not be producing any pressure to begin with?
Old 08-17-2008, 05:47 AM

Default Re: HMT setup, but no boost pressure? vaccum problem? WG? (Simple)

14b has a common problem of inside the exhaust housing where the circular wastegate flapper closes to allow it to build boost get cracks. take the downpipe off and the exhaust part and look under the flapper and see if its all cracked up . if not its something else but check that first. and it dont matter where u T the wastegate at it will still work, check all your pipes make sure they are all clamped good and no air leaks , check if u have anything open on ur intake mani that needs to be blocked off.. Do not run the PCV line into the intake piping like it was stock. post a pic of engine so i can see whats goin on maybe.
Old 08-17-2008, 08:12 PM

Default Re: HMT setup, but no boost pressure? vaccum problem? WG? (97grnrs)

well, i tightened all the clamps on my charge pipes and tightened up some bolts on the flange coming off the compressor housing. seems to have made the BOV sound a little louder, so i might have had a slight leak.

Went and got a boost pressure gauge today. Autometer. T'd it into my wastegate vacuum line (which comes straight off the intake manifold), and watched. looks like i am successfully getting 4 to 5lbs of boost inside the manifold.

Still don't feel a damn thing. Im going to hook up my air/Fuel gauge tomorrow (even though its more of a light show) to see if I'm not getting enough fuel while in boost. I have 450cc DSM's w/injector box. stock fuel pump, and chipped ecu. Supposably the ECU was pre-tuned for this setup.

or is 4-5lbs of boost even felt on such a small setup? thanks for the help