Notices

hesitates and Pops @10+psi, Why???

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2002, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hesitates and Pops @10+psi, Why???

Hey wassup...I have seen this problem twice now and I'm now very curious as to why my d16y8 greddy turbo car pops and loses power at about 10psi also my freind's obd 1 non vtec 2.2 prelude does the same thing and he has revhard t3/t4 kit with hondata 2b. I don't think its the fuel system because I know how a car feels when your overboosting in lean conditions (the power tapers off as boost pressure increases and or obnoxious engine knock occurs) plus he has the stand alone with 550's so he should have enough fuel but as for me I've the got the good old fashioned check valve to map sensor trick and FMU for now (works great) that and the fact that I'll shoot a small flame when I granny shift (right after the dark grey cloud of smoke)so I know i have more than enough fuel, We do both have stock ignition systems with two step colder spark plugs so thats what I'm thinking is wrong not strong enough spark to burn extra fuel and air...so am I right? the car acts like my MSD BTM is turned up too much when in fact its not so i was also thinking it could be the stock ignition control sytem retarding the crap out of the ignition timing but how can it do that when non of our systems use knock sensors since thats the only way it can retard timing on its own. If you experienced the same problem or know whats causes this overboost problem then let me know, thanks for reading.
Old 02-17-2002, 09:33 PM
New User

Default Re: hesitates and Pops @10+psi, Why??? (maddskilzz)

The engine can also significantly retard timing based on the intake air temperature sensor - it's very possible that little Greddy turbo is heating the air so much that your intercooler (or lack of one) is not getting temps down enough to continue making power. What intercooler are you running?
Old 02-17-2002, 09:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: hesitates and Pops @10+psi, Why??? (dbman96)

I think it could totally be the intake air temp sensor telling the ecu its very hot, and retarding timing. I used to push up to 13 psi on a little greddy turbo and intercooler on a d16, and it would do the same thing your referring to. It would run strong up to about 10 psi, I had plenty of fuel, but anything over that would make the car buck, then have a short burst of power.
Old 02-17-2002, 09:41 PM

Default Re: hesitates and Pops @10+psi, Why??? (dbman96)

IAT sensor huh? thats a good one I totally forgot about that but thats not my problem because mine constantly reads ambient air temp since ambient air is always cooler (i did that to get extra fuel from ecu), I'm running the trust front mount intercooler from the GReddy I/C kit.

[Modified by maddskilzz, 6:44 AM 2/18/2002]