Notices

GT2871R dyno sheets

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 12:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default GT2871R dyno sheets

I thought it might be interesting to post up gt2871r set ups, that way if someone searches this turbo “GT2871R” they will get some decent info. This is information I wish was easier to find when I was building my car.

Engine:
Compression ratio:
Cams:
Turbo manifold:
Turbine type and size:
Exhaust size:
PSI:
Chassis:

Track times, if you have them:

Impressions i.e. the good and the bad.

Here is mine

Engine: b16, 81.5mm stock head
Compression ratio: 9:1
Cams: first gen stock
Turbo manifold: hks
Turbine type and size: .86 t25
Exhaust size: 2.5 kinda squashed in some places from wear.
PSI: 15 tapering to 13
Chassis: ef si

Track times if you have them
14.00 @ 107 street tires, and yes, I know I suck.

Impressions i.e. the good and the bad.
The good: was fun to build the set-up and is a blast to drive, on the street it’s just awesome. The power band allows the bfg g-force 205/50/15 to hook up pretty good, of course first is pretty much a loss although you can pedal through it, second will grip on dry pavement. The car will hang or crush most of the cars a normal person will meet on the street (no delusions of grandeur, I’m saying your average 350z or mustang and so on, unmodified as more people who are casual car nuts drive not the hardcore). The turbo makes smooth power that come on predictably.

The bad: the T25 flanged turbine creates a few problems, one is finding a turbo manifold, while they do make the cool ramhorns and such, they are not as prevalent as the t3 flanged one or were not when I was doing this. Also the downpipe your going to have to make yourself. I don’t know of too many kits. I like to do stuff myself, so I opted to not get the one kit that is out there that I know of. I will admit it would have been cheaper if I just purchased the kit, because I had to buy a welder and a few other things to make my own. I would guess if you have all the tools you could piece together a fairly cheap kit, but if not, just buy a kit.
The engine spools a little slower that I expected. I contribute this to the larger .86 turbine and the small displacement of the b16. I have no idea if using the smaller .62 (or what ever it is) would help or kill the smooth application of power that I enjoy. I guess I will buy one and give it a try some time.
Being a BB and being water cooled adds a couple extra lines, but was no big deal and hardly bears mentioning.
I was having a little trouble at the dyno due to an old head that I skimped on, and a wastegate actuator that was sprung way to light. I think with a fresh head, some gsr cams and a 14lbs actuator instead of a 5lbs, I should see a better result at the dyno. Mind you this was it’s first shake down. Next trip I’ll be holding my breath for more hp.

Hope this helps someone.

car

pics in sig

Old 11-09-2007, 01:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: GT2871R dyno sheets (abnaasefmb)

Engine: Dart B18C1, stock bore and stroke
Compression ratio: 10.5:1 CR
Cams: CTR cams, dialed -3 on the exhaust, -1 on the intake
Turbo manifold: HKS
Turbine type and size: 0.86a/r T25 flanged
Exhaust size: 3.0" downpipe and exhaust
PSI: 17.5 PSI
Chassis: DC2

Impressions:
The car was always a blast to drive.. I've built this setup mainly for response and trying to replicate an NA setup. I started with a GT28RS, but later went with the GT2871R (long story short, the 28RS died and there was none in stock; so I grabbed the 2871R as a replacement).

I wasn't too concerned with RPM spool times or low-end torque because most built NA setups don't have that either. What I always wanted was the raw response feeling of an NA car at higher RPM's, quick response when I blip the throttle while heel & toe'ing, linear throttle control in mid corners, and no "lazy feeling" when cruising around town and driving to work. So far, I am 99% satisfied with this setup at this current power level. I don't plan to change it unless I score a sweet deal on a long rod 2.0L setup...lol

Tuning facts:
Due to the small turbine housing, the engine actually loses breath around 8000RPM at its early stages of the build. I spent months playing with the cam timing and tweaking the RPM curves. Along the way, it sacrificed spool times and the turbo actually spooled later. On the good side, the engine liked the cam timing changes and drove really well above 5000+RPM, and the car kicks *** all the way to redline. Together with the rising boost curve (I purposely tuned it that way), it maintained a fairly nice torque curve

Numbers were a bit lower than what I had a while ago on a Dynojet, but different day, different dyno, so I am not going crazy about it. The local Dynojet reads higher than my own dyno anyways.

Dyno videos can be found here: http://www.dynamotorsports.ca/news.html

Direct links:
http://video.google.ca/videopl...17466

Little video shoot around small streets:
http://video.google.ca/videopl...en-CA

Classic videos

Engine response video:

Speedo shot:

Weekend cruise:

Old 11-10-2007, 11:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GT2871R dyno sheets (Tony the Tiger)

Nice to finally see your dyno chart Tony. It seems to come on late and the torque seems low though. I think it might do better with the .63ar T3 housing on it instead of the .86ar T25.

Here are some other nice 2871r setups (not mine):

https://honda-tech.com/zero...age=1

http://forums.evans-tuning.com...2871r

http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread/213470

Old 11-11-2007, 04:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GT2871R dyno sheets (LeGeND4LiFe)

I'm currently building my motor. Looking to be completed in early december. Its been a year in the making and I can't wait. This will be my first turbo project. All in all I wanted to build a street car with a very usable powerband. here is the basic setup

Engine: 84mm aebs sleeved itr
Compression ratio: 9:1 compression
Cams: 01 itr
Turbo manifold: ramhorn
Turbine type and size: t3 .63a/r
Exhaust size: 3in. turbo back
PSI: shooting for what ever it can make
Chassis: em1

Old 11-13-2007, 12:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hello,

I am about to do a stock b16/gt2871r setup with a t3/t4 housing. The reason for this is so i can use an external wastegate on a t3 flanged turbo manifold

<U>Any thoughts on .48a/r for my setup?</U>

The gt2871r with a t3/t4 housing and .48a/r is available at ATP Turbo.

<U>Can anybody speculate how this custom gt2871r with .48a/r would behave like?</U>

<U>Should I just get a gt28rs?</U>

Thanks
Brian
Old 11-15-2007, 02:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GT2871R dyno sheets (airmaxbri)

The .48ar T3 housing is about equivalent to the .64ar T25 housing in overall flow and spool, but it doesn't have the tiny restrictive T2 flange, and the internal wastegate stuff in the way disrupting turbine flow so it will have better efficiency and make more power.

And of course the benefits of external wastegate and better manifold choices, I would choose it over any T2 option or the GT28RS. It should spool very close to a GT28RS and make a good bit more power. This is the same setup I have, I sent you a PM.

Old 11-15-2007, 03:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Look at my results at dynojet:

Dynojet and Videos:
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/2147928

Photos at my signature

Civic VTi EG6 95 B16a @ 8.7psi
GT2871R with T25 .82 exhaust
11:1 CR Stock Block Milled Head
Custom Made Manifold with 3'' exhaust
ETD Intercooler kit 29x11x3
AEBS Intake Manifold
HKS EVC IV Boost Controler
B16 OEM cams with skunk2 springs and retainers

Te car sppols very fast and have a great feel from bottom until 9000rpm.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GT2871R dyno sheets (Tony the Tiger)

thats one bad *** teg
Old 11-27-2007, 04:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump to keep the thread alive for more info
Old 11-27-2007, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

IDK if mine counts but its like the younger brother of the GT2871R or GT28RS haha. My turbo is the GT28R. This was about 1 year ago.
I dont have the info for my present set-up with the new upgrades and stuff @ 9 PSI & 14 PSI, sooooo:

Engine: Stock B16A2 w/ ITR Pistons
Compression Ratio: 9:7
Cams: Stock Head
Turbo Manifold: Custom Log Style Manifold
Turbine Type & Size: .64 a/r & T25 Flange
Exhaust Size: Custom 3" Turbo-Back w/ Apexi N1 Muffler
PSI: 7
Chassis: EM1

Track Time: 13.5 @ 106 on BF Goodrich DR's 205/50/R15

Impressions:
The Good: The turbo spools damn quick and makes good torque then most set-ups I see with the same power level, since the B16 is shietty on that. Very very quick response.

The Bad: All I can think of is that a manifold & downpipe was made to fit it (the uglyest manifold everr). Not a good turbo if you aiming for topend speed but pretty good for the 1/4 mile races/tracks.

Pics:

Last edited by hmongxcuz; 08-25-2010 at 12:25 AM.