Notices

GSR turbo block guard question, please help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GSR turbo block guard question, please help!

I have a Rage blockguard that I wanted to use for my turbo build. I took it to the machine shop along with my block to have it bored .020 over (81.5mm).

I called the machine shop today to get a progress report, well, is it normal that the block guard just drops right in? The guy at the shop said it dips down about 1/8 of an inch and its loose

If the blockguard is not fitted tightly, how is it suppose to protect the sleeves?!? Since my block is already bored, is it too late for me to get a different blockguard with a tighter fit? Should I even use the Rage blockguard at all since its loose?
Old 08-04-2005, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GSR turbo block guard question, please help! (sleepyhatch00)

uhh im pretty sure you should have had the blockguard installed and then had your sleeves bored out .020 over. it corrects any distortions in the sleevs from the block guard
Old 08-04-2005, 01:34 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sleepyhatch00 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have a Rage block-guard that I wanted to use for my turbo build. I took it to the machine shop along with my block to have it bored .020 over (81.5mm).

I called the machine shop today to get a progress report, well, is it normal that the block guard just drops right in? The guy at the shop said it dips down about 1/8 of an inch and its loose

If the block-guard is not fitted tightly, how is it suppose to protect the sleeves?!? Since my block is already bored, is it too late for me to get a different block-guard with a tighter fit? Should I even use the Rage block-guard at all since its loose?</TD></TR></TABLE>

ok I'm probably not the best person who can help you but.....

Boring out cylinders doesn't effect the external dimension of the sleeve.

The block guard should be fitted tight. Most people have to trim the block guard internally to fit it over the sleeves.

This is what I know from hanging around the forum. Also, many reputable members suggest the only correct way to install a block guard is to have it welded in.

hopefully someone will come in and answer your questions better.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:36 PM

Default Re: GSR turbo block guard question, please help! (civicskater)

I brought the Rage blockguard to the machine shop with the engine, so yes, i did bring the block guard to the shop before the machine work was done.

My problem is the blockguard seems to be "loose", so it didn't matter if I put it in before or after the machine work.

And I like to know if its worth it to get a different blockguard now and try to put it in?
Old 08-04-2005, 01:51 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sleepyhatch00 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I brought the Rage blockguard to the machine shop with the engine, so yes, i did bring the block guard to the shop before the machine work was done.

My problem is the blockguard seems to be "loose", so it didn't matter if I put it in before or after the machine work.

And I like to know if its worth it to get a different blockguard now and try to put it in?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I can tell you the benefits of the block-guard are controversial. Based on what you believe to be true, you have to make the decision whether it's worth it to you to buy another one.

Like I said, I know for sure that the block guard shouldn't be loose fitting. My personal opinion is this..... Over the years reading posts about block guard in the fi forum and based on that, I wouldn't bother with a block guard. In my opinion, they do more harm than good.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:58 PM

Default Re: GSR turbo block guard question, please help! (Stewie)

well, I can order another blockguard easily since I bought the Rage one locally. My goal is to run 18 PSI max, (10 to 12 daily). It will consist of B18C1, 81.5mm CP 9:1, Crower rods, ARP head bolts, Cometic HP gasket, Turbonetic T3/T4, PTE 680cc. engine management will be either the Hondata S300 or the new mysterious Neptune software.

Do you guys think I will be fine without the blockguard at 18psi?

TIA
Old 08-04-2005, 05:38 PM

You will be fine without the block guard with a good tune. Block guards don't do **** anyways...
Old 08-04-2005, 05:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: GSR turbo block guard question, please help! (beerbongskickass)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beerbongskickass &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You will be fine without the block guard with a good tune. Block guards don't do **** anyways...</TD></TR></TABLE>

but restrict coolant flow ( bad ones atleast)
Old 08-04-2005, 05:55 PM

Default Re: GSR turbo block guard question, please help! (beerbongskickass)

alright guys, I think I'm gona ditch the blockguard then.

Old 08-05-2005, 11:51 AM

OK, so I went to the shop today and looked at the blockguard. Its not real loose in there, its got about .08 inch of play.

How much do cylinders shake under boost? Will this blockguard do any good if its got that much play between the wall and the sleeve?

The blockguard is cheap, and is not going to cost me anything extra to put it in the motor, so if you think it helps, I might just leave it in there for insurance??