Notices

GReddy missfire? Been fighting for a month.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2003, 05:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GReddy missfire? Been fighting for a month.

So I thought I'd throw it to the experts.

My buddy has a '97 EX with the Greddy kit on the stock motor, no intercooler yet. The engine usually misfires or stutters under boost, now it's starting to happen just off of idle as well. It tends to happen when the ambient temperature is above 65-70 degrees. Here is a list of the things we have tried.

New plugs, hotter/colder/stock
Plugs always look OK.
New plug wires,
Every combination possible between the stock ignition, MSD 6BTM, and Blaster Coil
Tried trimming the fuel richer/leaner with FPR.
Compression Check - 190 180 180 190

I did have a thought last night, but I don't know if it would matter. The GReddy kit was for a '95 EX and his is a '97. Didn't the switch from OBD1 to OBD2 happen in this time and would that affect how the "Blue Box" worked with the ECU.

Could you guys throw me some more ideas since this is getting absurd. Anything would help.

Thank you in advance.
Old 07-08-2003, 05:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GReddy missfire? Been fighting for a month. (Lord Quaalard)

using the blue box for the wrong application can do it....the fuel maps are probably just a little different and causing incorrect amounts of fuel.
Old 07-08-2003, 06:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Destroying turbo ITR motors in Minneapolis, MN, U.S.A.
Default Re: GReddy missfire? Been fighting for a month. (FMX)

Did you wire up the blue box correctly for 96-98 civics? That could be a problem. Here's the diagram for you:

Got this off of http://www.turbocivic.net
Old 07-08-2003, 06:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GReddy missfire? Been fighting for a month. (fnananon)

I'll print it out and check with him. He installed the turbo in secret to give my all motor CRX a surprise.

Does that diagram typically come with the kit? If so, I can't really see him making that sort of mistake, but you never know. Like I said, I'll check.
Old 07-08-2003, 06:59 AM
at the jetties fishin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

no, that diagram doesn't come with the kit. and he needs to make sure he's got all the connections done right...quick connects are a no-no with the blue box, it really doesn't like them at all.

the blue box will work just FINE with his engine as will the kit. lots of people run it stock like that...just like I do.

you said you tried every ignition combo between the stock ignition and blaster setup so I'm assuming you used both coils so that rules that out that the coil could be breaking down.

um, have you been using the same plug wires the whole time? one of those could be arc'ing or be breaking down across the shielding...

I'm thinking that if he used the 92-95 wiring diagram and/or quick connects that is probably his problem though.
Old 07-08-2003, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GReddy missfire? Been fighting for a month. (stackz)

We tried two sets of MSD wires with no improvement, as well as two Blaster coils and the stock one. (good thing he works at a parts store)

If that diagram didn't come with the kit, I am betting that will be the problem. I'll head over to his house with the soldering iron and the diagram and set him straight...I hope

Although, this will mean he will go back to being a couple tenths faster than me again.

Thank you stackz.
Old 07-08-2003, 08:48 AM
New User

My car misfires too when the timing is @ stock, however, it just misfires @ idle only. I trimmed my timing back 1 degree.. seemed to fix it. Coulde also be your valve lash..... adjust them.
Old 07-08-2003, 09:17 AM
at the jetties fishin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Lord Quaalard &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">We tried two sets of MSD wires with no improvement, as well as two Blaster coils and the stock one. (good thing he works at a parts store)

If that diagram didn't come with the kit, I am betting that will be the problem. I'll head over to his house with the soldering iron and the diagram and set him straight...I hope

Although, this will mean he will go back to being a couple tenths faster than me again.

Thank you stackz. </TD></TR></TABLE>

you use msd wires? that might actually be the problem. put the stock wires back on and see if the problem goes away. I'm running the msd 8.5's myself and I (and a few other people that I've seen) have this same problem. The rest of them replace the msd wires with stockies but I didn't want to just waste the $65 I spent on them. For some reason msd goofed with our designs on their wires. when you boost the d-series and run them they tend to pop up off the plug thus the misfire symptoms. They'll keep popping back up. I just drilled my valve cover and ran some plumbing strap over the tops of the wires to hold them down and in place but everyone else just replaces them outright. check to make sure that the boots are up at all before ripping apart his blue box wiring.
Old 07-08-2003, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GReddy missfire? Been fighting for a month. (stackz)

His MSD wires did that even before the turbo. We will definitely try that out first. Thank you again.
Old 07-08-2003, 10:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my cars been doing this alot too

hot charged air going into the engine could also be causing preignition, which would make him misfire, im hoping once i get an intercooler it will clear it all up.