Notices

Glasspacks on a 4 cyl turbo? Will this exhaust sound like crap or not?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glasspacks on a 4 cyl turbo? Will this exhaust sound like crap or not?

I have a 4wd wagon. It is very difficult to run a decent diameter exhaust through the rear. I'd like to only run an exhaust through 3/4 of the car to the rear differential.

Id like to run ( from a t3 45 trim turbo-2.25in DP) a high flow cat to a 20" or so cherry bomb glass-pack muffler/ resonator. Im assumeing that the turbo will reduce alot of the obnoxious sound in the exhaust. I know that SRT4's use either glasspacks or resonators... Im not sure which or haow many.

If anyone has any expereince with glasspacks on a turbo 4 banger, I'd like to know your experience. I just dont want it to sound like richard simmons getting raped by a moose.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Glasspacks on a 4 cyl turbo? Will this exhaust sound like crap or not? (Jwbetley)

From what I understand, the SRT4 just has the cat & resonator, no muffler. I know most laws require a chaimbered section, so I'm not sure.

I do know how TWO straight-though fiberglass-packed resonators will sound with a t3/tt04b, internal WG, 3" turbo-back on an EF. They were the louvered Summit Racing type, one 18" and one 24". It was still a little loud, but zero raspiness, and had a real cool 'angry growl' tone to it when I got on it.

To give you an idea of what the turbo does just by itself, it was the same with the turbo + 36" of 3" piping vs. NA with stock header, cat, and the 3"/dual-resonator exhaust. I had run NA with the 3"+cat for emissions, don't ask.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Glasspacks on a 4 cyl turbo? Will this exhaust sound like crap or not? (Jwbetley)

current setup is 3" downpipe to a 3" summit racing glasspack, like 30 bucks shipped haha. Then to a turndown right after the shifter. Inside the exhaust isnt too loud and i kinda like the way it sounds....
Old 04-23-2008, 02:58 PM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's an old video from way back when...i was running a SPoolin Log manifold and full 2.5" exhaust with a resonator and inline 2.5" muffler. Neither of them were chambered.

http://videos.streetfire.net/v...3.htm
Old 04-23-2008, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Schister66)

the problem with glasspacks is they're cheap. You'll blow a glasspack out in a week with boost.

a good inexpensive, perforated core magnaflow resonator can be had on ebay for $50, 2.5" inlet/outlet. if you check out magnaflow's catalog online, just find the part number and check ebay for it. There's a seller who sells 'em cheap and free shipping.

good luck!
Old 04-23-2008, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (chimmike)

FYI pretty much any perforated core, straight thru muffler is essentially the same thing as a resonator.
Old 04-23-2008, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Tippyman)

ya I agee, I think the only difference is that glasspacks tend to have the rounded ends and are of shitty quality. I would do 2 of the magnaflow round mufflers and a hooker max flow for a decent quality, straight through, quiet exhaust.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Glasspacks on a 4 cyl turbo? Will this exhaust sound like crap or not? (blwn95civic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blwn95civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">current setup is 3" downpipe to a 3" summit racing glasspack, like 30 bucks shipped haha. Then to a turndown right after the shifter. Inside the exhaust isnt too loud and i kinda like the way it sounds....</TD></TR></TABLE>do you have a vid or anything like that ? i also have my downpipe/exhaust end right past the shifter without anything and it sounds mean but the **** echos inside my interiorless cabin. oh and the smell
Old 04-23-2008, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (chimmike)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chimmike &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the problem with glasspacks is they're cheap. You'll blow a glasspack out in a week with boost.

a good inexpensive, perforated core magnaflow resonator can be had on ebay for $50, 2.5" inlet/outlet. if you check out magnaflow's catalog online, just find the part number and check ebay for it. There's a seller who sells 'em cheap and free shipping.

good luck!</TD></TR></TABLE>

These glass packs are used on huge V8's... I'd be surprised it burns up in a week. I doubt a turbo 1.6 flows more or creates more heat than a v8...
Old 04-24-2008, 09:31 AM

Default Re: (Jwbetley)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jwbetley &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

These glass packs are used on huge V8's... I'd be surprised it burns up in a week. I doubt a turbo 1.6 flows more or creates more heat than a v8...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Mustangs have a dual exhaust, which means twice the area to flow. Not to mention that a boosted honda puts out more hp/liter than most NA mustang, which means it would have to flow way faster. A boosted motor will have a higher EGT no matter how many cylinders it has.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Scheizty)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Scheizty &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

A boosted motor will have a higher EGT no matter how many cylinders it has.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not POST turbo... heck we take all that heat to make more power!
Old 04-24-2008, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Glasspacks on a 4 cyl turbo? Will this exhaust sound like crap or not? (zex_cool)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by zex_cool &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do you have a vid or anything like that ? i also have my downpipe/exhaust end right past the shifter without anything and it sounds mean but the **** echos inside my interiorless cabin. oh and the smell </TD></TR></TABLE>

well mine echoed pretty bad with only a downpipe, but after running it back a little its not bad at all... i can post a vid as soon as i get the head back from the machine shop, damn 1-2-3-2 shift

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chimmike &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the problem with glasspacks is they're cheap. You'll blow a glasspack out in a week with boost.

good luck!</TD></TR></TABLE>

well the summit racing glasspacks are just a straight thru resonator pretty much, i can hold it up and see right thru it, just has little nipples on the side to spin the exhaust as it flows thru so there's nothing to blow out there
Old 04-24-2008, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the thrush glasspacks are piles of ****. I blew one out within a week on a n/a 4banger. All the fiberglass packing was GONE.

You really want a perforated core. Now there's a difference between a good perforated core and another type that LOOKS like a perforated core. The true perforated core is merely holes cut in the surrounding pipe to allow the soundwaves to be absorbed by the packing (stainless wool and fiberglass). The other type has little "nipples" that pop up and reduce flow (yes, a lot, believe it or not) and are of a cheaper quality.

like I said, you can get a good magnaflow stainless steel perforated core for a good price on ebay, that's what I've done probably 6 times now for different cars. If you absolutely HAVE to get a glasspack, don't, for any reason whatsoever, get a cherry bomb or thrush!

lol.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Glasspacks on a 4 cyl turbo? Will this exhaust sound like crap or not? (chimmike)

Well thanks for the advice. Ill reseach a bit on summit and ebay. I don't want chunks of hairy kunt spewing out everytime I get on it. Thats what my girlfriend is for...
Old 04-24-2008, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Have you looked at vibrant?

they have these

and these depending on space avalable
Old 04-24-2008, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Glasspacks on a 4 cyl turbo? Will this exhaust sound like crap or not? (ickyhonda)

vibrant is good, but they're easily double to triple what magnaflow runs.
Old 04-24-2008, 04:29 PM

Default Re: Glasspacks on a 4 cyl turbo? Will this exhaust sound like crap or not? (chimmike)

my theory is you get what you pay for. for the most part
Old 04-24-2008, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Glasspacks on a 4 cyl turbo? Will this exhaust sound like crap or not? (sleeper04)

what about an aero turbine muffler/resonator?
http://stores.channeladvisor.c...rbine/

they seem to get good reviews...i've always wanted to hear one in person tho
Old 04-24-2008, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Glasspacks on a 4 cyl turbo? Will this exhaust sound like crap or not? (sleeper04)

dynomax bullet's are good as well. summit has em pretty cheap.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:28 PM
HELLO,GOOD MORNIN'

Default Re: (Schister66)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Schister66 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Here's an old video from way back when...i was running a SPoolin Log manifold and full 2.5" exhaust with a resonator and inline 2.5" muffler. Neither of them were chambered.

http://videos.streetfire.net/v...3.htm</TD></TR></TABLE>

way back when
Old 04-24-2008, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Glasspacks on a 4 cyl turbo? Will this exhaust sound like crap or not? (JSPECSIR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JSPECSIR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dynomax bullet's are good as well. summit has em pretty cheap.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea. I am actually looking at them. There pretty cheap but I dont know how loud they are. I am mostly concerned with the noise level when driving at the highway. I am at about 4k when doing 75-80mph so Im worried about how loud it may be. I think im gonna try just the cat and a 20in bullet.
Old 04-25-2008, 03:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

my friend use to have the short one on his 4.3 s-10. it sounded really good on that, but i have no comparison on a 4 cyl. to give you. im probably gonna run nothing but one of these when i do my 3".
Old 04-25-2008, 03:47 AM

"the longer the quieter"

...not what she said

but it is accurate with mufflers, especially tubular like a glasspack

I just ordered one this week from summit, just a hedman 2.25

I have 2.25 mandrel bent piping from the cat right now, no resonator, and no muffler...honestly its not that loud, which surprises even me

I'll post up how it sounds WITH a muffler this weekend
Old 04-25-2008, 04:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Glasspacks on a 4 cyl turbo? Will this exhaust sound like crap or not? (93plumvtec)

I can't believe anyone would run forced induction with piping smaller than 2.5". Really, 2.25" is too small for boost!
Old 04-25-2008, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chimmike &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the thrush glasspacks are piles of ****. I blew one out within a week on a n/a 4banger. All the fiberglass packing was GONE.

You really want a perforated core. Now there's a difference between a good perforated core and another type that LOOKS like a perforated core. The true perforated core is merely holes cut in the surrounding pipe to allow the soundwaves to be absorbed by the packing (stainless wool and fiberglass). The other type has little "nipples" that pop up and reduce flow (yes, a lot, believe it or not) and are of a cheaper quality.

like I said, you can get a good magnaflow stainless steel perforated core for a good price on ebay, that's what I've done probably 6 times now for different cars. If you absolutely HAVE to get a glasspack, don't, for any reason whatsoever, get a cherry bomb or thrush!

lol.</TD></TR></TABLE>

While it may reduce flow:
1. There is no packing to blow out
2. When its "reducing flow as u say" its also dampening the sound.
3. When its 3" inside diameter i dont see how the little nipples can reduce flow enough to hurt power.
4. I put down 416whp on one, and it didnt seem to hurt performance at all throughout the rpm range.
5. For 30 bucks shipped how can ya beat it

oh btw to the op, i also have a b16 tranny and when cruising on the interstate its quiet enough inside the car to have a conversation without raising your voice.... but once you lay into it the sound will liven up a bit but i dont find it annoying loud