Notices

Getting Sponsored...a few questions...PLEASE READ AND RESPOND.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2002, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting Sponsored...a few questions...PLEASE READ AND RESPOND.

Well, I have found myself in a unique position. I am planning a pretty extreme turbo setup with a local shop. Over the past few weeks I have befriended a few of the shop's technicians, salespeople, and mechanics. I have talked to the owner a few times, just shooting the ****.

My main contact at the shop has been helping me with my setup...giving suggestions, talking to suppliers, etc. We have come to an understanding that I will get my parts for my engine rebuild from whoever is cheapest, and the shop will handle disassembling the motor, the P&P on the head and reassembling the motor.

Anyways, today we were going over specifics and talking about downtime, labor rates, etc. and he brought up the owner "helping" me with the cost of labor. He went on to say he and the owner have been talking about my planned setup and how they wanted to handle it. He said that they were both very concerned that I was happy with the outcome of everything since I will be dropping a lot of money over the next few months. THEN he told me that he has been trying to convince the owner to sponsor my car. He didn't go into any details, probably so he wouldn't burst my bubble in a few weeks when he says no.

Like I said the shop is local, in Ohio, open since the 70s, they do not have the recognition of a place like Area 51. They are the only import shop in the area and they have a dyno. Up until very recently they mostly prepped road race cars. The shop owns an ITR fully prepped for the road course. As any other business I would assume they are looking to increase their sales and create more profit, etc.

What should I do, just relax and wait to hear from my contact, or go aggressive and let this guy know what I can do for his shop. I am employed full time and a college student, so I cannot devote 100% of my time, but there are areas of his business I could help him improve. Web presence, local presence, advertisement, conveying what the general public wants (GBs, specials). I have a lot of ideas.

Art, what all did you do to get sponsorship from JL? I am sure these two scenarios are extremely different, local shop vs. international manufacturer and innovator. Should I write up a "sponsorship proposal" or something like that. Any and all help is welcome and appreciated since this is the first time I have ever dealt with this.

Sorry is this is in the wrong forum, I am not too sure where it belongs, but I trust the advice of you guys so…let me know
Old 04-18-2002, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Getting Sponsored...a few questions...PLEASE READ AND RESPOND. (2K_TEG)

for sponsership you'll have to advertise on your car for the shop......like put up stickers on your ride, the bigger the sticker the bigger discount u get, show up to mostly EVERY car meet/show. Answer questions of ppl u meet there and all. u basically become a salesmen for them. a lot of time involved.

BUT, u get deals/discounts on parts/labour. might even meet models at the shows, since they will be posing nude on your car

i have a chance to be sponsered but i dont like the whole sticker idea...........and with all these groupbuys going on, deals are dime a dozen.

you have good ideas, i dont think a letter is necessary. if u really wanna get involved and devote some time, then do it!
Old 04-18-2002, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Getting Sponsored...a few questions...PLEASE READ AND RESPOND. (int3gra)

if u really wanna do it, then become that saleman now.
sell yourself to sponsershipdom. your spending around $10,000 and thats no joke.
they should happily take you on.

i think your chances are pretty good. good luck
Old 04-18-2002, 08:09 PM
Better than steak

Default Re: Getting Sponsored...a few questions...PLEASE READ AND RESPOND. (int3gra)

The only thing I can say to get sponsored is SELL SELL SELL yourself. Viren and I worked hard and had a professional power point presentation to send out to all the manufactors. JL even told us we should quit our jobs and get into sales. hehe

art
Old 04-19-2002, 05:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Getting Sponsored...a few questions...PLEASE READ AND RESPOND. (2K_TEG)

any other suggestions? up for the day crowd.
Old 04-19-2002, 06:11 AM

it is all about the image. a pp presintation is a way to start. especally if they are not good with computers. it is like showing fire to cave men. find out what they have and dont have. like a website, flyers, and events. i would come up with something before that guy says no. lots of guys hate to change there mind after they have made a decision. (just put your foot in the door before it closes)

good luck wish i was in your shoes
Old 04-19-2002, 07:03 AM

it aint Sell Sell Sell,its Win Win Win,Wont be easy but Win an Major Event or two in a Pro Import,Hot Rod or whatever they call the Heads up FWD Turbo class nowadays and the sponsers will give you more respect when you call and some might come calling,if you dont win and your car is a dog with your extreme turbo set up,youll be more of an embarrassment to your sponser than any help to them.
Old 04-19-2002, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Getting Sponsored...a few questions...PLEASE READ AND RESPOND. (D-Man)

Yeah, sucks doesn't it ? BLAME CANADA !

Dude, sponsorship is a big PITA. It's like being the shops/manufacturer's bitch... you have to go to shows or they'll revoke the sponsorship... your car will be required to attend 'X' number of shows a year, if not... laters ! If you want sponsorship on motor parts/power adders... you're gonna have to be at the track often to represent (with stickers, that's very important) You must compete and either win or place in official track events... often.

Just be aware... if your are not in the business, it is not a cakewalk like most ricers think....
Old 04-19-2002, 11:25 AM

Default Re: Getting Sponsored...a few questions...PLEASE READ AND RESPOND. (X2BOARD)

If you want to get sponsered, get ready to become someone's tool. They don't give something for nothing - expecially car people. You may get all that you want for your car, but is it worth all that time?

If I were you, I would just try and get the great deals from the garage. If you want to get sponsered for the purpose of cheaper parts and labor, I say SELL YOUR SELF BUT GET SPOSERED HEAVILY ON YOUR OWN TERMS. You can negotiate the deal since you are going to be losing out as much as they are.

In short - if they want you as much as you want them, they will give you a good deal. If they just want to use your car and your time pick up the group buys. That way, you get a great car, and you aren't a tool

Common persons .02
Dave
Old 04-19-2002, 02:09 PM
Future Texas Boy

Default Re: Getting Sponsored...a few questions...PLEASE READ AND RESPOND. (wonny)

Peep my sig. Like they said, sell sell sell. You need to convince them that you`ll return their investment in you ten fold.
Old 04-19-2002, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Getting Sponsored...a few questions...PLEASE READ AND RESPOND. (vtecvoodoo)

why are some people making it sound bad to be sponsored? Most sponsors ask for a list of shows or races you'll be attending. No big deal. Just show up for the shows/races you say you will. Keep in touch with your sponsors and let them know how you did at the show/race. Again, no big deal. Just don't get sponsored then run off and put competitors products on your car or sell the stuff you got for free. Its all good. The decals only have to be on at the events you attend,any magazine shoots or ads. Free stuff is better than discounted stuff.

Here's a small list of my sponsors:
Sparco
Fluidyne
Nitrous Express
Ro_Ja engineering
Meguiar's

Its not that bad once you get sponsored. Good luck on that.
Old 04-19-2002, 05:17 PM

Default Re: Getting Sponsored...a few questions...PLEASE READ AND RESPOND. (speedaddict)

i also WAS working out a sponsership with my car but then it got totaled so all the money i was about to drop in turbo/motor build and jdm itr conversion is going towards downpayment on a new LS B18B POWER 4 LIFE

where in maryland do you reside sometimes?
Old 04-19-2002, 10:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Getting Sponsored...a few questions...PLEASE READ AND RESPOND. (NotQuiteJdm)

where in maryland do you reside sometimes?
Rockville, Bethesda area. Thanks for all the replies guys.
Old 04-19-2002, 11:35 PM
New User

it all depends on what they want you to do. if its all local events.. then go for it. if they make u go out to a different state and all that... i dont know if its going to be worth your time.
Old 04-20-2002, 11:37 AM

Default Re: Getting Sponsored...a few questions...PLEASE READ AND RESPOND. (Arturbo)

The only thing I can say to get sponsored is SELL SELL SELL yourself.
art
This is so true!
I recently picked up 2 "Major" sponsors within the last few months; Venom Performance & Hotsot Performance! It is all about selling yourself and presenting yourself in a Professional manner.
What makes you different than any other person who wants free stuff? That is the question you must answer and then present it to these large companies. It isn't about what they could do for you, but rather what they can gain from you!

I would suggest setting up a proposal!

Here is my Proposal that I use to try and get sponsorships from. It was written by a friend of mine!

It is an Adobe .pdf file so you need Adobe Acrobat! I hope this helps!
http://www.turbochargedser.freeservers.com/proposal.pdf

OR

Try this if that doesn't work: http://www.apexser.freeservers.com/proposal.pdf

and if that doesn't work, click on my webpage in my seignature and click on "Seeking Ponsorship" .

[Modified by TurbochargedSER, 1:55 PM 4/20/2002]
Old 04-20-2002, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Getting Sponsored...a few questions...PLEASE READ AND RESPOND. (TurbochargedSER)

what shop r u talking about
Old 04-20-2002, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Getting Sponsored...a few questions...PLEASE READ AND RESPOND. (1stealthls)

what shop r u talking about
don't wanna say yet...don't want to jinx myself. I'll let you guys know once I get an answer though.
Old 04-20-2002, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Getting Sponsored...a few questions...PLEASE READ AND RESPOND. (TurbochargedSER)

To TurbochargedSER:

Thanks for posting that link to your proposal. Its a good writeup.

May I make a suggestion? (My day job is evaluating other's research and development proposals, and writing R&D proposals to the Government.)

Try adding around 50% of the used space in pictures and graphics. Where you talk of your engines ouput specs, put in a dyno plot...in color. Where you list engine components, have a pix of the engine....etc.

We have found this to almost double our success rate. There is a technical reason for it based on human behavior. It turns out that decision makers...are visual people and que on pictures and graphs, technical folks are detailed oriented and love text and equations. Turns out you can't do a purely visual or purely text proposal. If you do, you tune out around 1/2 of your reviewers...& guess what...you loose.

Hope this may help.

Regards,
BigMoose

[Modified by BigMoose, 3:29 AM 4/21/2002]
Old 04-20-2002, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Getting Sponsored...a few questions...PLEASE READ AND RESPOND. (BigMoose)

good advice man
Old 04-20-2002, 11:19 PM

Default Re: Getting Sponsored...a few questions...PLEASE READ AND RESPOND. (BigMoose)

Thanks! Something to consider!