Notices

Funky Oil Pressure Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Funky Oil Pressure Problems

I'm running an LS motor with a GSR oil Pickup & GSR Pan (welded-in fastline baffles).

My stock oil pressure light started flashing, so my friend installed his oil pressure gauge.

When I make a left turn (i.e. taking an off ramp), my oil pressure goes up - which I think is normal because I am accelerating.

When I make the same type of turn but LEFT, the oil pressure DROPS!

I can't verify the following because I didn't want to chance blowing this motor, but I noticed that after I redline the car (7k), the oil pressure will drop. Afterwards, even traveling at around 4k, the oil pressure will drop to about 1kilo-pascals and drop even more until my oil light starts flashing again.

After this round of testing, I changed the oil and did another test, and had the same results! Another thing I should note is that when I changed the oil, the oil drained like I was draining coolant (sounds like you have diarhea). The oil smells like the junk that collects in the catch can - fuel. Oil did NOT seem like it was contaminated with coolant. This oil also probably had less than 20 miles. I used some brake cleaner to clean the block and head, but I was careful to not get too much of it into the ports in the head.

One more thing! When my oil pressure light would flash, I would pull over and check the oil, and I could see bubbles in the oil on the dip stick.

Please help! Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to be as thorough as possible.

Setup:
Stock LS block & Head with GSR pickup & pan. Vtec waterpump, JDM vtec oil pump - used but clearances checked. Also, the mounting was modified to relocate the pickup so it would have the same height/depth in the pan since I am not running a vtec girdle.

Old 07-03-2006, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Funky Oil Pressure Problems (Takumi Fujiwara)

You may have welded in one of the baffles backwards. Instead of holding the oil in place, it is allows it to flow away from the pick-up.
Either that or the pickup is not placed properly and you are not getting the benefit of all the oil in the pan.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Funky Oil Pressure Problems (earl)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by earl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You may have welded in one of the baffles backwards. Instead of holding the oil in place, it is allows it to flow away from the pick-up.
Either that or the pickup is not placed properly and you are not getting the benefit of all the oil in the pan.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thank you for the input. This oil pan did not have oil pressure issues on a previous order. I will double check the placement of the pickup, or just go with the LS pickup & pan to try and weed out any issues.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 07-05-2006, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Are GSR/LS pumps interchangeable with pickups? Obviously the first step is to put the stock pump/pickup/pan setup on there and see if it fixes it. Do that and let us know the verdict.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nonvtecD)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nonvtecD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Are GSR/LS pumps interchangeable with pickups? Obviously the first step is to put the stock pump/pickup/pan setup on there and see if it fixes it. Do that and let us know the verdict.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Currently trying to locate a pickup & pan so I don't have to spend $150 on new ones.. maybe more if the baffle is not interchangeable. A little more money and I can pick up a used LS shortblock, maybe a longblock. I'll keep you posted.
Old 07-05-2006, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Takumi Fujiwara)

Should have an LS oil pan & pickup by early next week.

Anyone have any ideas about why my oil had bubbles or why my oil drained like it was water?
Old 07-21-2006, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

After a member on HT decided not to ship my oil pan, baffle & pickup, I was able to buy one from ebay.

UPDATE:
The location where the pick-up mates with the oil pump was loose. Having the LS stuff, I decided to install all of it.

Problem now:
Oil pressure gauge goes to a max of 7kg/cm^2. Oil pressure stays above 6kg/cm^2 and tries to go past 7kg/cm^2 when I accelerate. Is having too high of oil pressure an issue?

Also, if anyone knows off hand, are the TPS sensors from cars containing the B18A compatible with the B18B? I had to pull the Map sensor off the B18B TB and mount it on another location because the B18A TB does not have a location to surface mount it. I used the vacuum hose on the barb sitting rough at 1 o'clock and plugged the larger barb that sits at 12 o'clock.

If anyone has any input, I would appreciate it. Car is currently running 10w40 dino oil, NO oil coolers, stock or aftermarket.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what does 7kgcm^2 = in psi?

Normal oil psi is like 25-35psi at idle, 50-70psi cruising and like 80psi at 4k+
Old 07-21-2006, 11:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (turbotime)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbotime &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what does 7kgcm^2 = in psi?

Normal oil psi is like 25-35psi at idle, 50-70psi cruising and like 80psi at 4k+</TD></TR></TABLE>

Psi x .0703 = kg/cm2

7kg/cm^2 = 99.573psi
6kg/cm^2 = 85.349psi

This is all below 4k RPM...

Currently my car is idling at like 1200-1500rpm and is REALLY jerking at part throttle. I'm trying to get the vacuum or TPS, MAP sensor problems solved...

Are there any issues I should be worried about with this high of oil pressure? Note that when I accelerate, somethings the needle pins the 7.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what oil grade you using?
Old 07-22-2006, 12:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (komat)

10w40 Shell non-synthetic
Old 07-22-2006, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Up because I just woke up
Old 07-22-2006, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Xsi-T took these pictures a while back

Old 07-22-2006, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Funky Oil Pressure Problems (0x64)

Thanks for the photos... but I just swapped in an LS pickup, baffle, & pan to avoid any further issues...

Looks like I have a huge vacuum leak right now. I think I have the other problems out of the way... except for the high oil pressure. Once I get the vacuum problem fixed, I'll be able to take it out for a longer drive and see if the oil pressure goes down.
Old 07-22-2006, 02:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

An oil pump has a pressure release valve so as not to push too much pressure. As long as it's working you'll be fine. I get 95 psi at cold idle, 95 psi is the cutoff on honda pumps I believe.
Old 07-22-2006, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nonvtecD)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nonvtecD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">An oil pump has a pressure release valve so as not to push too much pressure. As long as it's working you'll be fine. I get 95 psi at cold idle, 95 psi is the cutoff on honda pumps I believe.</TD></TR></TABLE>

My gauge wants to go past 100psi... or past 7kg/cm^2... it's just being stopped by the pin that limits it's motion...