Notices

FMU: Don't run, try using an AFC and 2 fuel pumps!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2004, 07:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FMU: Don't run, try using an AFC and 2 fuel pumps!

My cousin found out that you don't need an fmu to regulate fuel when boosting. You also dont have to get anything expensive such as AEM EMS, or Hondata...such.
On his 12second integra setup he used two fuel pumps and an AFC. He used a 255lph in-tank fuel pump and a inline fuel pump to help push all that needed fuel. He used the VAFC to tune his car so that he can lean it out when idling and rich it out with a good fuel curve when fuel is needed at boost. Turns out. He ran a 12.2 on his GSR with B16A head, LSD, type r tranny, JE pistons and Eagle rods. Full interior with Bogart 13", slicks.

-Lor
Old 08-22-2004, 07:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: FMU: Don't run, try using an AFC and 2 fuel pumps! (turboimports)

Very true...but as you probably know with with engine management programs like the hondata...the thinking is done for you, and you don't need to be constantly tuning....

It's similar to teh jim wolf ecu's that I assume you use on your DET....in all reality you don't even need an AF gauge with them!

Offtopic: 240sx with all wheel steering??? that I never knew was even an option! Shweeeeeeet! Also what do you ahve done to the DET??
Old 08-22-2004, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turboimports &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My cousin found out that you don't need an fmu to regulate fuel when boosting. You also dont have to get anything expensive such as AEM EMS, or Hondata...such.

-Lor</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, ok lemme go sell my AEM and do that..
Old 08-22-2004, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: FMU: Don't run, try using an AFC and 2 fuel pumps! (Boostage)

it works but if any thing changes in the boost side it can get ugly. hondata changes to safe guard your engine and stop detonation.
Old 09-23-2004, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: FMU: Don't run, try using an AFC and 2 fuel pumps! (Syner-G-Racing)

whatever that guy makes on that setup he would definatly make more power with hondata or AEM EMS.

AFC hack is a proven method that works. Cheap & effective but it has it's limits. I know for a fact that with his setup he could not daily drive it with just and afc. he would be bogging & having poor fuel mpg not to mention poor throttle responce & power delivernce w/out getting WOT on boost.

it's funny cause i was just joking with another member that he has a fully built (sleeve) block and a badd *** turbo manifold/downpipe with huge turbo but now he can't afford money for a real ems system. So what he was thinking about doing was just hooking up the old FMU and boosting.
just to put that in perspective... it would be retarted as hell if he blew that $8000 motor due to skimping out on fuel managment.

Old 09-23-2004, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turboimports &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My cousin found out that you don't need an fmu to regulate fuel when boosting. </TD></TR></TABLE>

If your running stock injectors you do. That is the reason for the FMU and inline combo. Running a inline and intank is not needed with a hack, just the intank.
Old 09-23-2004, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: FMU: Don't run, try using an AFC and 2 fuel pumps!

running your stock injectors is bad...
Old 09-23-2004, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: FMU: Don't run, try using an AFC and 2 fuel pumps! (nsxmatt)

yeah not only on the injectors but also on the fuel lines themselves.
That is one of the reasons why I did not want to go FMU route on my old *** ef.

I think for a cheap route FMU or afc hack is ok but with FMU it puts a tremendouse amount off stress on stock injectors not to mention pressure on stock fuel lines.
I think it would be ok if your boosting with stock injectors under 10psi but that would still be pushing the long term life span of stock fuel pumps and stock injectors. When one of those fail SONIC_BOOM to your motor.

oh well whatever makes you sleep at night. It's their car. so I can't argue that.
Old 09-23-2004, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turboimports &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My cousin found out that you don't need an fmu to regulate fuel when boosting. You also dont have to get anything expensive such as AEM EMS, or Hondata...such.
On his 12second integra setup he used two fuel pumps and an AFC. He used a 255lph in-tank fuel pump and a inline fuel pump to help push all that needed fuel. He used the VAFC to tune his car so that he can lean it out when idling and rich it out with a good fuel curve when fuel is needed at boost. Turns out. He ran a 12.2 on his GSR with B16A head, LSD, type r tranny, JE pistons and Eagle rods. Full interior with Bogart 13", slicks.

thats great. too bad he could run even faster with a dedicated electronic system.

still running low 12's

-Lor</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 09-23-2004, 08:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I kinda do this on my car, but I don't have the extra pump, I have AFC and an FMU in there, helps keep the fuel pressure up, but I have check valves, going to the FMU so it doesn't raise the pressure in the rail untill about 5 pounds, so I end up with around 70 lbs in the rail. Much better than like 120.
Old 09-23-2004, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Destroying turbo ITR motors in Minneapolis, MN, U.S.A.
Default Re: FMU: Don't run, try using an AFC and 2 fuel pumps! (twkdCD595)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by twkdCD595 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">running your stock injectors is bad... </TD></TR></TABLE>

I've been running them for a year now with the greddy blue box at 5-12 psi?
Old 09-23-2004, 10:11 AM

Default Re: FMU: Don't run, try using an AFC and 2 fuel pumps! (boostincoupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostincoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I've been running them for a year now with the greddy blue box at 5-12 psi?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Because 240cc injectors are good for just under 200hp maxed out. Your d-series only makes around 130hp stock.
Old 09-23-2004, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

please say this is someone's idea of a bad joke...
Old 09-23-2004, 11:46 AM

Default Re: FMU: Don't run, try using an AFC and 2 fuel pumps! (rioninja)

afraid not it would appear...