Notices

Fmax install: Part 1

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2001, 05:32 PM
New User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fmax install: Part 1

Ok. I've now spent about 6 hrs on the install. A few things to think about when you do yours:

Got the nose, exhaust manifold and downpipe off without problems.

1. I recommend taking out the fan on the drivers side. I tore skin and cursed trying to get the manifold/turbo in before doing that.

2. The nuts to get the new manifold on are a pain in the ***. There is hardly any clearance to tighten them and the nuts rub on the manifold as you tighten down.

3. You have to bend the f-ck out of the ac line that sits in front of the radiator in order to fit the intercooler.

4. The intake pipe off the intercooler is another pain. It comes up right where the radiator reservoir tank is. that had to come out in addition to the ABS relays that sit right next to it. After they came out, it went in fine. Thats after I scraped off lots of the nice red paint on the piping. I hope its stainless so it don't rust.

I'm now trying to get the little 5mm allen plug out from under the distributor to put in my oil feed there. If you can help me get it out I'll be very grateful. I think the rest should go in ok from here. I'll be out every night with a light working over the next few days to get this done.

Old 10-13-2001, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Fmax install: Part 1 (GruvyTune)

looks like its not exactly a bolt on affair like everyone says Fmax kit is
Old 10-14-2001, 04:41 AM
New User

Default Re: Fmax install: Part 1 (9psiLsT)

Doesn't sound that bad so far. When you start having to fabricate parts, then I'd consider it not bolt on.

[Modified by ha-evolution, 7:42 AM 10/14/2001]
Old 10-14-2001, 06:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You had to bend the AC line? That sounds wierd to me . . . I didn't have to on mine. You might have to trim the shroud on the fan a little so the turbo can clear it.

Snootches
Old 10-14-2001, 06:13 AM
New User

Default Re: Fmax install: Part 1 (Reverend)

what year is your car? I have a 95 GSR.
There was an AC line that jutted out in front of the radiator with a coupler on it. I had to bend it back quite a bit so that coupler wouldn't hit the intercooler.

The intercooler sits in front of the radiator so I had no choice. Did yours mount such that you used only one big washer and bolt on each support? the holes in the top of the bumper that I assume you are supposed to use are quite big.
Old 10-14-2001, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've got a 2000 with a JDM front end. We had to re-fab the IC lines so they would just bend around the core support. But yeah, all I needed was to attach it to the bumper support with the supplied washers and bolts.
Old 10-14-2001, 06:48 AM
New User

Who's we? Did fmax do that for you? I can't believe the piping requires me to move the coolant reservoir. I don't see any other way the intake piping can be routed through anyway. There's no room for anything.
Old 10-14-2001, 07:26 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I'm not sure if the LS and GSR is different (placement of parts IE: coolant reservoir), but if it is, thats your problem, because they probably sent you the LS piping because of your intake manifold.
Old 10-14-2001, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

"We" refers to me and two close friends - none of experts at aftermarket turbo installs. Just a few stupid guys who like to fiddle with our cars.

I don't know what was done to your car previous to your turbo kit, but nothing should have to be moved - especially if you've got a USDM front end still . .. and why on earth would you have to move the coolant resivoir?! do you mean actually relocate it, or do you mean take it out temporarily while you put in other junk.

EDIT: ok, 00SilverLS got here before my post, and he may have a point. Find a friend with an LS and see how similar the bends in your intake piping is. IF they are TOO similar, then you'll need to make some phone calls.

Maybe you've got your pipes confused . . . or maybe you just need to take a quick breather - have a , relax, and try to slow down on it. Letting yourself get frustrated will only lead to making yourself more frustrated.

[Modified by Reverend, 10:29 AM 10/14/2001]
Old 10-14-2001, 07:57 AM
New User

Your right. If I did drink, I would have had one by now. I did pull myself away from it last night after struggling with the manifold nuts otherwise my girlfriend would have totally tweaked out on me (for good reason).

I don't recall the LS and GSR having the coolant reservoirs in different positions. If I leave the piping the way it is now, I will surely have to reposition the tank.

Its the only way the piping could go in and mate up with the rest of the intake pipe. Without the coolant reservoir and taking out the ABS relays, it fits in quite nice. Although I don't see much room to be able to put in the air filter
Old 10-14-2001, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here, man. Relax with a glass of OJ and check out these pics of my car and what some of the stuff should look like when its completed.
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4292358237

It might help, it might not.
Old 10-14-2001, 09:41 AM
New User

Yea, looking at it again, it looks like they made the upturn of the first intake section too soon. If it started further back in the engine compartment it would miss the reservoir. Then, the 2nd intake pipe would have to be shorter. I think they screwed up!!

I will have to call them monday. Perhaps I can get this thing up and running temporarily. I'm not sure what to do with the coolant reservoir though. It needs to be at a certain level for the siphon action to work i'm sure.

any ideas? Can you just drain it to a cup or something small temporarily?
Old 10-14-2001, 04:59 PM
New User

Reverend, nice fuel set up with the earl fittings. you have a parts list?
Old 10-14-2001, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fmax install: Part 1 (DeeJay)

Here's my parts list:

-a bunch of fittings for various crap
-some SS braided line
-a whole lot of time and money

Sorry, I don't remember any specifics. I just kinda told the guy at the shop what I was doing, and he sold me the parts I needed.