Notices

Few questions on boosting a b16a.

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Few questions on boosting a b16a.

Hey there I'm new to honda's in general but am looking at buying a eg hatch with a freshly swapped b16a. The engine has low km's (6x xxx), and when I was talking with the owner he mentioned that he has a full t3/t4 turbo kit that could be sold with the car. This got me even more interested as I previously own a boosted 88' jetta. I've started reading about boosting a honda and have a couple questions and want to have some of the info i've read confirmed. I don't have the specifics on the kit but i'll post them as soon as i know.

-I've been reading that to maintain having a daily driver and be able to run on pump gas(91 oct), the most I will want to boost it is to 8psi. I've also read that with a solid tune that type of setup can yield me 40-50whp gains. Is that true? What kind of torque gains can I expect?

Any thoughts you may have are appreciated...any common problems with boosting these cars...ect, ect.

-Brett

Pics of the Jetta for fun

Old 06-27-2008, 07:41 PM
* B A N N E D *

a b16a wont net you a whole lotta torque, boosted or not, but the great thing about them is they love to have the **** revved out of them and last. ive beaten the **** out of a b16 everyday with 200psi across all 4 cylinders for over a year and sold it at 195 across all 4.

you say 8psi? on what turbo? 8 psi on a t25 is a hell of a lot different than 8 psi on a gt35.

i would get the car after doing a compression test and ONLY after doing a compression test and possibly a leakdown. anyone can say the motor is fresh, but its possible that the motor is tired and that "turbo kit" was at one time on the motor.

as far as a turbo, stock internaled b16, ive seen one make 600whp, ive seen one make 250whp. it all depends on how long you want it to last. common sense.

however, with a proper tune and the correct setup, you can make 300whp and have it last years, unless you beat the **** out of it daily, then probably only a few months.

tune tune tune. biggest concern you should have when boosting a honda.
Old 06-27-2008, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Few questions on boosting a b16a. (bchap)

check out the FAQ and use the search button. you should be able to find everything you need to know. welcome to h-t!
Old 06-27-2008, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (count me out)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by count me out &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">a b16a wont net you a whole lotta torque, boosted or not, but the great thing about them is they love to have the **** revved out of them and last. ive beaten the **** out of a b16 everyday with 200psi across all 4 cylinders for over a year and sold it at 195 across all 4.

you say 8psi? on what turbo? 8 psi on a t25 is a hell of a lot different than 8 psi on a gt35.

i would get the car after doing a compression test and ONLY after doing a compression test and possibly a leakdown. anyone can say the motor is fresh, but its possible that the motor is tired and that "turbo kit" was at one time on the motor.

as far as a turbo, stock internaled b16, ive seen one make 600whp, ive seen one make 250whp. it all depends on how long you want it to last. common sense.

however, with a proper tune and the correct setup, you can make 300whp and have it last years, unless you beat the **** out of it daily, then probably only a few months.

tune tune tune. biggest concern you should have when boosting a honda.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

As for the motor being fresh, the seller has receipts for the swap being done at jdmsource in calgary, not positive on the date o the swap but it wasn't that long ago.

I don't want crazy numbers, I would be very happy with 220ish whp. As long as it will last me.

As i said I'm still waiting for the specs of the turbo, and I'll post once I get them.

I'm thinking I would get it tuned at Performance Plus in saskatoon, as I hear they do a lot of really good things. But right now this is all just thinking haven't bought anything yet.
Old 06-28-2008, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Anotehr thing....What kind of power can these transmissions hold down without exploding?
Old 06-28-2008, 06:44 AM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (bchap)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bchap &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Anotehr thing....What kind of power can these transmissions hold down without exploding?</TD></TR></TABLE>

theyll hold more than you need to make.