Notices

To All the Honda Gurus....this Nu-B finally going FI. Please help. Advice anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2002, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To All the Honda Gurus....this Nu-B finally going FI. Please help. Advice anyone?

I'd first like to start by saying that this is a long question and i ask for you patience. Ok ya'll, i've been posting alot of questions here for a while now and done as much research as possible on boosting my b16a delsol w/ 72k miles. I've already bought a t3/t4 turbo in 50 trim and still collecting a few parts. I can't wait till i get all my parts gathered up and bolted on my car!. The thing is that all these people are telling me i'm gunna blow up my engine if i don't know what i'm doing or i wouldn't be able to run too much boost or, running a reliable turbo would cost crazy $$$$$ etc. etc. etc. I also bought a Helms manual and i'm not a complete moron w/o any common sense so i figure the turbo project should be pretty straight forward. From what i've dug up through old honda-tech topics, i've decided to go with the vafc hack, front mount ic and all the basics. Anyone have any advice or guidelines on how much i can boost on my b16a w/ stock internals and any safety precautions/methods i should consider before doing this? Also, i saw this oil cooler on the net and i figure its the same concept as an IC except you run oil lines. Is this a correct guess? and if so, the cooler should be between the engine and the turbo FEED line, correct? would i need a filter for this type of cooler and where can i find a unit like this? I know that these questions seem pretty pointless but, i need to hear some positive things in going turbo cause i'm starting to have doubts and know that there's alot of you out there that have done this LOOoong time ago and very happy. I ask all the gurus and diy'ers out there to help a homie out and would really appreciate your help and expertise. thanx

[Modified by theory48, 7:42 AM 6/13/2002]

[Modified by theory48, 7:54 AM 6/13/2002]
Old 06-12-2002, 10:46 PM

Default Re: To All the Honda Gurus....this Nu-B finally going FI. Please help. Advice anyone? (theory48)

i don know much, but try these sites too:

http://midwestautofun.org/turbo/FAQ (under construction but still some stufff)
http://homemadeturbos.com
http://turbocivicsi.com

BTW I also have a B16A3 from del sol that I am making a kit for
Old 06-12-2002, 11:13 PM

Default Re: To All the Honda Gurus....this Nu-B finally going FI. Please help. Advice anyone? (CustomCockpi

u want the best advise? hang out here and read every post.. followin dustin around doesnt hurt either!
Old 06-13-2002, 04:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: To All the Honda Gurus....this Nu-B finally going FI. Please help. Advice anyone? (CustomCockpi

have a lot of money available...at least $6K...for a decent setup
Old 06-13-2002, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There are two ways you can do this:

1) Do ALOT of reading and look at diagrams and your motor to know what is being discussed. Bolting on a turbo is not cake, but it ain't brain surgery either, but that's just 1/4 of the setup. You basically will need to know everything about the motor's operation to understand why you need to spend so much money. Granted, you can do a setup for a decent amout ($3K or so) but there WILL be limitations to that setup. To go turbo.. you have to want to go fast and be willing to pay for it. Just keep in mind you need to actually have the money to do everything. If you are not careful, turbo can get you into a whole heap of trouble. But if you do it right... You'll finally understand why we go thru what we do. **Whoosh**
or

2) Blow your motor once or twice and learn the hard/REALLY expensive way.

** Oil cooler at Discount Auto parts : $30.00 + tax