Notices

electronic exhaust cutout

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electronic exhaust cutout

hey guys i did search, but couldnt find the answers i was looking for. I recently bought a 3'' inch DP/exhaust, and i have the option to run an exhaust cutout. i'll be tuning shortly so this is somewhat of a last minute decision. the setup is as follows:

DOHC F22B
T3 Super 60 .63 AR at 10 psi
Lovefab mini me EQ mani
3'' lovefab DP, 3'' Kteller exhaust
Tial 44mm wastegate, open dump
walbro 255
Greddy type RS BOV
Competition Clutch stage 4, 6 puck sprung
P28 w/ eCtune
etc....

My questions is, is it really worth it to spend the money on the cutout and use it? what type of gains are usually seen with the cutout open? also, im tuning with eCtune. How would the tuning process go? is it possible to use 2 seperate tunes? one with it open and one closed, or is it better to just tune with it open and drive around town with it closed? does it kill drive-ability? upsides/downsides? im hearing mixed things and just want to get it straight before i waste money / dont use it properly. thanks.

Last edited by H22Honda98; 12-02-2009 at 11:10 AM.
Old 12-02-2009, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: electronic exhaust cutout

No point of running the e-cutout if you already have a 3" exhaust.
Old 12-02-2009, 02:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Like Da Dude said no point in running a cutout if you already have an exhaust...

I was looking to put one on my car but thats cuz im still running the stock exhaust and muffler... Its pretty much for the sleeper look...

No point in running two tunes... Just get it tuned with the cutout open and your good...

I would lose power regardless... With you having a 3" exhaust your power output should be close to the samething... So yea, unless you ditch the exhaust just put your money towards something else... Nothing really to be gained except a louder exhaust.
Old 12-02-2009, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

alright thats pretty much what i was looking for. if its pointless to run with a 3'' inch exhaust, why do people have them fabricated with the cutout? i guess they just arent as common as i thought. Is there really no power to be made by having it open?

solo you said have it tuned with it open?? doesnt that contradict what you just said?

thanks btw. this probably saves me $$
Old 12-02-2009, 03:03 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

It would work if you had smaller piping, with the 3in you don't need it.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by H22Honda98
alright thats pretty much what i was looking for. if its pointless to run with a 3'' inch exhaust, why do people have them fabricated with the cutout? i guess they just arent as common as i thought. Is there really no power to be made by having it open?

solo you said have it tuned with it open?? doesnt that contradict what you just said?

thanks btw. this probably saves me $$
Tuning it opened is the same as having a 3" exhaust all the way thru...

If you had a stock exhaust you would tune for the most power with it open... But when its closed your gonna lose some... Something in the range of 20-30whp depending on the turbo you using and how much boost you tryna push...
Old 12-02-2009, 11:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ya on my e cut out i went from 165 to 187 whp on a all motor set up with a stock muffler. On a turbo car i think the gains might even be more than 30 whp compared to a stock muffler.

But like everyone else said with a 3in exhaust its definitely not really needed e cut outs are kinda of a hassles. I've broken two e-cut outs even though my car is not that low i still bottom out on it. An they kind of add weird rattles and noises that are kinda of annoying like driving with a constant exhaust leaks.

The only reason i use a e cut out one is because of CA cops i've gotten 4 state ref tickets so I just run the stock muffler not to get pulled over anymore.

Last edited by Ricer no 7; 12-02-2009 at 11:38 PM.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

cutouts do help. and its not the same having a 3" exhaust compared to a cutout. theres still some restriction.
Old 12-03-2009, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

With an open exhaust it really is pointless. Most people will run a stockish exhaust after the cutout. For a daily driver, it's wonderful. I can listen to music, talk to people in the car, drive long distances w/o wanting to jump off a cliff. Then when I want a bit more power & noise, I just go beyond 60% throttle (automatic motor on mine) or flip a switch (manual).

Mine hits 10psi with it closed at the same rpm it will hit 18psi with it open. 300-400rpm for the same psi. I have a 3" turbo-back to the cutout (after shifter), then it's stock 2" pipe and stock muffler. No cat, only one 3" resonator before the cutout. Gains would be much greater if I ran a cat, and if I didn't have a crappy manifold.

BTW mine is handled by dual maps in ectune, along with the general purpose outputs it gives you. For crome you'd need something like a 2timer bin/chip switcher. Moates.net sells them, and I can also make them. You'd tune one map with it closed, one with it open, then burn both to the chip. You'd have to switch bins manually, since a typical cutout has no possitional feedback.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_2RlSZoplw