Notices

EGR Valve problems on turbo h22a1

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EGR Valve problems on turbo h22a1

Hi all, wondering if somebody can help me with an EGR valve problem on my Turbo H22A1 Civic.

The setup:
'98 civic dx with H22A1(out of 96 prelude)
RevHard turbo kit:
GT30R dual BB turbo
10:1 fuel pressure regulator
330cc injectors (I think these are too large with 10:1 fuel regulator, revhard kit uses stock injectors)
Intercooler
35mm BOV @7psi
wastegate

This kist ran beautifully in the D16y that was previously in the civic. The H22 came with the oversized 330cc injectors.

Alright here it is: When the car is freshly started it runs like a monster with a beautiful smooth power curve and pulls right to redline. About 20 minutes or 5 miles into driving it starts to hesitate and the BOV starts dumping boost (long before full bost is reached), within a minute of that the check engine light comes on and when checked I get a code 12 which I believe is EGR valve related. This condition persists until I shut the car off for at least 20 minutes.

I have read that the egr valve on this motor controls a flap in the throttle body which is supposed to open up right before the vtec kicks in to give it extra air.

So anybody know what is happening? Do I have a bad or miswired EGR Valve? BTW the EGR valve is installed but only the wiring is connected to it.

Please help I love eating 'stangs for breakfast and I can when this runs right. when it doesnt i sound like a vaccuum cleaner with a leak.

btw, I have no vacuum or boost leaks as far as i can tell.

Thanks for any help anybody can provide.
Old 10-08-2006, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EGR Valve problems on turbo h22a1 (jonaka)

I dont know anything about turbos on H22's, but I was searching because I want to turbo mine and found your thread.
I'm trying to remember correctly but I think a H22a has 345cc injectors stock so yours are not oversized. The valves you are reffering to that open up before VTEC are the secondary butterflys in the intake mani and they have nothing to do with the EGR valve as far as I know.

You should try blocking off your egr valve and see if it helps. Just cut a soda can into shape to fit and bolt it back on. My egr valve is not wired up and I get the code for it with my OBD1 P13 but it does not affect anything, it drives great.
Old 10-08-2006, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EGR Valve problems on turbo h22a1 (crxhybrid85)

Yes, just block off the EGR completely or simply remove the VAC lines from it. When it doesn't see vacuum the EGR stays closed anyway. Most people put block off plates for cosmetic appeal. If you are ODB1 and using an ECU that reads for EGR (P13), then keep the EGR harness plugged in or else it'll throw a cell.

Also, the flap you were talking about is not related to the EGR in any way. Those are the secondary butterflies (IAB) that open up prior to VTEC engagement for more airflow. Since you are boosted, just take out the vac line to that too. That will keep the IAB's open or take out the flaps completely.