Notices

Is it ever advisable to run a turbo vehicle without a Blow Off Valve?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon5 Is it ever advisable to run a turbo vehicle without a Blow Off Valve?

Just wondering if anyone is running a turbo setup without a blow off valve... i plan not to run a blow off valve.. pros and cons for those who aren't running? setup.. b series turbo 20 psi+ 35r turbo
Old 05-10-2017, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default re: Is it ever advisable to run a turbo vehicle without a Blow Off Valve?

Debatable topic. Just remember that factory turbo gasoline engine cars come with a blow off valve. If they have one might be a good idea to run one on your setup also.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default re: Is it ever advisable to run a turbo vehicle without a Blow Off Valve?

I've seen clips of people doing it to other vehicles.. but not really on hondas.. i like that flutter sound of the turbo.. hoping it doesn't do any damage to the bearings..
Old 05-10-2017, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by 7mile
I've seen clips of people doing it to other vehicles.. but not really on hondas.. i like that flutter sound of the turbo.. hoping it doesn't do any damage to the bearings..
It does. It shortens the life of the turbo because when the throttle body closes the air/pressure is forced back through to the compressor side of the turbo, forcing it to try to start spinning in the opposite direction.

Terrible idea, always use a BOV unless you don't give a **** about your turbo. Flutter is never a good thing.

Edit: Jesus, yeah especially if you're planning on running 20+PSI. You don't want that getting shoved back the other direction with no escape route.
Old 05-10-2017, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Dat flutter doe. Can't turn heads without that flutter.
Old 05-10-2017, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by pogeeboy27
Dat flutter doe. Can't turn heads without that flutter.
Haha, not going to lie it does sound pretty sick sometimes. But if you hear flutter, it means your turbo is actually a bit "sick"
Old 05-10-2017, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I run a Gt30 ish knock off without a blow off valve and it doesn't really flutter much. The only time I really hear it is on heavy throttle low rpm street driving. Been on it for 3 years at 23-28 psi on a D16. The turbos I had on without the anti surge housing made cooler noises. My excuse for even trying it is because I'm always paranoid of losing precious boost thru the bov and overspinning the turbine.
Old 05-10-2017, 11:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I removed the BOV from my car after having 1-2 shift bog issues (car would fall out of boost), seemed to help the problem and can't really say the turbo behaved much differently. What I will say is that I wouldn't do it on a turbo without an anti-surge cover, as the "ported shroud" covers help release boost past the compressor wheel when running without a BOV.

If it is a drag oriented setup then I believe a BOV isn't such a strict requirement, if it is a circuit/auto-cross type setup where you are off and on the throttle a lot, then a BOV is probably more of a necessity.
Old 05-11-2017, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes i am currently running one with anti surge cover. i like how everyone has their own opinions on this question. wanna sound like them 2jzs and turn heads, but not hurt the turbo by doing so.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 7mile
Yes i am currently running one with anti surge cover. i like how everyone has their own opinions on this question. wanna sound like them 2jzs and turn heads, but not hurt the turbo by doing so.
Look morons with oem turboed cars do this all the time in europe.I heard a seat ibiza making that TSUV TSUV tsuv tsuv tsuv sound for like 3 seconds.
I waived him to stop and explained him he will destroy the turbo.He was like "really? i didnt know"
But something tells me its too adictive to stop.If you ask me once i realised whats happening to the turbo it almost hurts my heart since then when i listen to it.like when women reving to 6k rpm, clutching to park.
Old 05-12-2017, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

OP what's your reason for not wanting to use a BOV?
Old 05-12-2017, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by pogeeboy27
OP what's your reason for not wanting to use a BOV?

Is it really a myth? I haven't really seen any honda's go without a bov.. hear that pigeon sound. ;lol
Old 05-12-2017, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No it's not good for your ******* turbo, jesus.

This isn't even up for debate, it's common ******* sense.
Old 05-12-2017, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would honestly rather hear a loud whoosh than that silly flutter. OP do your turbo a favor and get a BOV. It's cheaper than a new turbo or a turbo rebuild.
Old 05-12-2017, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is it ever advisable to run a turbo vehicle without a Blow Off Valve?

Don't run a BOV and give us an update with the results!
Old 05-12-2017, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 365 Likes on 271 Posts
Default Re: Is it ever advisable to run a turbo vehicle without a Blow Off Valve?

I wasn't going to use it and I know some really fast cars that don't use them if that helps.
Old 05-12-2017, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Might as well not use an intercooler either, like some douchebro stance **** that destroys cars. All the cool instagram people are doing it and you saw it on YouTube so it has to be okay to do.

​​​
Old 05-12-2017, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Northernlightz
Might as well not use an intercooler either, like some douchebro stance **** that destroys cars. All the cool instagram people are doing it and you saw it on YouTube so it has to be okay to do.

​​​
Don't forget to JB weld that oil drain into the pan, because taking the added time and effort to get it welded is for pussies.
Old 05-13-2017, 06:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Chance EG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuyJ5jD3r0o

This isn't even up for debate, it's common ******* sense.
Youre argument is Mighty Car Mods (some of the biggest spreaders of misinformation and idiocy on youtube), interviewing some guy from Go-fast-bits (who ******* sells BOVs)

Ive run numerous cars without a BOV for extended periods of time. My Miata ran without one for years, hitting boost countless times every day, surging away. I later used that same turbo on a Honda and did the same thing to it for a while before upgrading.
Compressor stall is a real issue for jet engines, or any other compressor that runs continuously, like a belt driven centrifugal supercharger. If you allow it to surge continuously a resonance can form that can prematurely wear the bearings. This is not what happens with a turbo though, the surge lasts for a fraction of a second and never has time to resonate.

Take a look at GT cars running 24 hours straight at lemans. No BOV, surging at 30-40 psi a million times throughout the day. They know that the BOV is more likely to fail and cost them the race then the turbo failing from surge.
Old 05-13-2017, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Full_Tilt
Youre argument is Mighty Car Mods (some of the biggest spreaders of misinformation and idiocy on youtube), interviewing some guy from Go-fast-bits (who ******* sells BOVs)

Ive run numerous cars without a BOV for extended periods of time. My Miata ran without one for years, hitting boost countless times every day, surging away. I later used that same turbo on a Honda and did the same thing to it for a while before upgrading.
Compressor stall is a real issue for jet engines, or any other compressor that runs continuously, like a belt driven centrifugal supercharger. If you allow it to surge continuously a resonance can form that can prematurely wear the bearings. This is not what happens with a turbo though, the surge lasts for a fraction of a second and never has time to resonate.

Take a look at GT cars running 24 hours straight at lemans. No BOV, surging at 30-40 psi a million times throughout the day. They know that the BOV is more likely to fail and cost them the race then the turbo failing from surge.
Ill have to dissagree friend.Ill tell you this with simple logic.
-First you cannot compare a racecar to any type to a daily or weekend average joe's car.There are allways SO different.
-Second if it wasnt needed since without the bov the car sounds better only stock turboed cars would have a bov.Or even oem cars would have this at the first place to cut costs
or even better a bov would not be placed on any car from the first place.
-Thirdly youre giving us an example (your experience) that is true but its like the average story of someone's uncle that smoked 3 packets of cigarettes per day
but still lives on his 90s *exceptio probat regulam in casibus non exceptis.
Old 05-13-2017, 02:49 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

I just love this stuff! Such emotion and drama from all about the basics..

Makes me feel young again..
Old 05-13-2017, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts

I wasn't aware of any OEM turbo applications that do not have some type of charge pipe pressure venting during throttle blade closing... and from an EPA/environmental stand point, all OE applications have a recirculating valve which vents positive charge pipe pressure to the inlet tube ahead of the turbocharger or supercharger. Venting to atmosphere is environmentally taboo and CARB/EPA would never approve such a system.

I am a supercharger guy, so I wouldn't ever consider running without some type of venting to maximize blower life.
Old 05-14-2017, 02:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 96 Likes on 86 Posts

boosted94gsr i dont remember seeing a bov on your car. Way before this thread i was wondering was it hidden. Or..., whats your take on this.

i do remember az civic saying you wasnt running one. Back when you had the white valve cover and the comp turbo. Couple years ago maybe
Old 05-14-2017, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ls joker
boosted94gsr i dont remember seeing a bov on your car. Way before this thread i was wondering was it hidden. Or..., whats your take on this.

i do remember az civic saying you wasnt running one. Back when you had the white valve cover and the comp turbo. Couple years ago maybe
I've always ran a bov on all of the turbo cars I've owned. My last eg hatch and my current integra have the bov located near the outlet of the turbo kind of out of sight. I just thought it looked cleaner out of sight like that.
Old 05-15-2017, 01:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 96 Likes on 86 Posts

Thats what i figure. I was just wondering you decided to run different time

Quick Reply: Is it ever advisable to run a turbo vehicle without a Blow Off Valve?