Notices

eagle or crower rods. ive searched.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 06:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default eagle or crower rods. ive searched.

ive searched but nothing really helps.
ok i hear alot of bad things about eagle. cheap bolts or whatever
but then i see cars that are in the 400whp range with eagles.

my options are eagle or crower. pauter is a lil expensive for me.
my hp goal is right at 400. (just to be in the club)lol.

i saw a thread about eagle rods= blown motor. **** like that scares me. let me know what you guys think.
Old 05-19-2004, 06:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: eagle or crower rods. ive searched. (ssr_h22)

dont beleive the BS written
people who blows the eagle is due to other reasons (detonation, etc)

get the eagles with the ARP2000 bolts

i personally have them and know many people with 400+ HP and they handle good
Old 05-19-2004, 07:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: eagle or crower rods. ive searched. (USDM 4G VTEC)

Eagles break at 200whp , dont you know . lol.
i Run Eagles with no probs on my last 2 motors. They work fine. Boosted Hybrid just tuned an Integra GSR the other week that made 515whp with no probs on eagles with the reg rod bolts. dont believe the hype
Old 05-19-2004, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: eagle or crower rods. ive searched. (itr206)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by itr206 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Eagles break at 200whp , dont you know . lol.
i Run Eagles with no probs on my last 2 motors. They work fine. Boosted Hybrid just tuned an Integra GSR the other week that made 515whp with no probs on eagles with the reg rod bolts. dont believe the hype</TD></TR></TABLE>

yup yup, ill be running eagles in my motor as well. you cant beat them. they will last.

Old 05-19-2004, 07:46 AM
OG triple OG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: eagle or crower rods. ive searched. (Jordo)

i was gonna go with eagles but ended up going with pauter.

the eagle rods are great , its the smaller bolts that snapped. they have upgraded the bolts so you should be fine!!
Old 05-19-2004, 07:51 AM

Default Re: eagle or crower rods. ive searched. (ssr_h22)

This topic is interesting to me as well. I have read probably every Eagle topic on this board but there is not a definitive answer.

What most people seem to be saying is that they will work great to a point.

I am just curious at what point you need to switch to a Manley or a Pauter...is it 400hp, 500hp, 600hp, 1500hp?

I think it is safe to say the Eagles work great at 400 and under (they seem to be a very common choice in that power range)...what I don't see is the Eagles being run at the higher power levels (with a few exceptions, but generally this seems to be true). I don't know if that is because the higher power cars are generally higher dollar cars as well and saving a couple hundred on some rods isn't a big deal, or if there really is a performance difference?
Old 05-19-2004, 07:53 AM
OG triple OG

Default Re: eagle or crower rods. ive searched. (bomber)

dont forget about corillo rods , they are the ****. right under the best , pauter

but i agree i see people in the 400 and under running them , im sure you can go higher , people just dont want to chance it on an expensive buildup
Old 05-19-2004, 07:54 AM

Default Re: eagle or crower rods. ive searched. (Hella_JDM)

Yea I know Carillo's are supposed to be nice. Cunningham's as well.

Right now I am debating between Eagle's or the Full Race Manley's myself.
Old 05-19-2004, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

do we need to get into this debate again&gt; Eagle uses the same rod bolts. Guess what? So do Pauter. they use the same exact rod bolts, brand model size and tq specs as the Eagles. and offer the smae upgrade to the bigger as Eagle. But Pauters are sooo much better according to this site.
Old 05-19-2004, 08:04 AM

Everyone has their own opinion on this topic, you not going to get a straight answer. Eagles are what I run on my setup and they're fine. You are going to have to make an educated decision for yourself
Old 05-19-2004, 08:06 AM

I think the debate rages on because there is nothing but grey area. No specific place where it is 'generally required' to upgrade to a different rod. I know the bolts are the same now that Eagle has upgraded, but is that the only thing to look at?

Old 05-19-2004, 08:07 AM
OG triple OG

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by itr206 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do we need to get into this debate again&gt; Eagle uses the same rod bolts. Guess what? So do Pauter. they use the same exact rod bolts, brand model size and tq specs as the Eagles. and offer the smae upgrade to the bigger as Eagle. But Pauters are sooo much better according to this site. </TD></TR></TABLE>

ya they are, but the rods themselves will hold more power than an eagle. i have yet to see a pauter break
Old 05-19-2004, 08:08 AM
OG triple OG

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bomber &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yea I know Carillo's are supposed to be nice. Cunningham's as well.

Right now I am debating between Eagle's or the Full Race Manley's myself.</TD></TR></TABLE>

dood get the manleys they are so nice!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-19-2004, 08:08 AM

Default Re: eagle or crower rods. ive searched. (FwdCivicHatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FwdCivicHatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Everyone has their own opinion on this topic, you not going to get a straight answer. Eagles are what I run on my setup and they're fine. You are going to have to make an educated decision for yourself</TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly. You ask Eagle and they say they are ok. Ask this board and most say no. Ask a dealer who carries both (meaning Eagle and any of the more expensive brands) and you usually get a wishy washy answer at best...and even then how do you know if they are just trying to push the product with the higher profit margin?

Some areas seem fairly clear cut, this is one that most definately isn't.
Old 05-19-2004, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: eagle or crower rods. ive searched. (Hella_JDM)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hella_JDM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

ya they are, but the rods themselves will hold more power than an eagle. i have yet to see a pauter break</TD></TR></TABLE>

ive seen just as many Pauters break as Eagles.
Old 05-19-2004, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Just Drank A 5th of VODKA Dare me to drive, Ca, u.s.

it's all about the specs and tuning...you have to follow the directions when installing them, KEEP the lube...and use the eagle torque specs and you will be fine! or you can always over build your motor...lol
Old 05-19-2004, 10:07 AM

Default Re: eagle or crower rods. ive searched. (LoStMyBoOsT)

I've seen a the different rods break, I guess people feel better with hear say so alot of people run everything but eagle. Like it was said before it's relaly up to you. Do you feel you need to spend an extra 300+ to feel better since it's what alot of people say or should you try them out and make an educated decesion.
I would prob go with the eagels unless i found a great deal on other rods or had the extra money which I never do.
Old 05-19-2004, 10:52 AM

Default Re: eagle or crower rods. ive searched. (USDM 4G VTEC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by USDM 4G VTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dont beleive the BS written
people who blows the eagle is due to other reasons (detonation, etc)

get the eagles with the ARP2000 bolts

i personally have them and know many people with 400+ HP and they handle good</TD></TR></TABLE>

i agree, i make high 300's at 17lbs and use eagles they work fine
Old 05-19-2004, 11:03 AM

Default Re: eagle or crower rods. ive searched. (Harry Doyle)

I'm a big crower fan. For the $$$ though, you really can't beat the ARP equiped Eagles! Just make sure the motor is assembled correctly.
Old 05-20-2004, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: eagle or crower rods. ive searched. (REVHARD_EF)

i just got done Talking with Eagle again . heres what they had to say about the rod bolt change. They basically changed it to shut everyone up, like most people on here. At least thats what i got from it

Subject: Re: New 3/8 rod bolt standard

Well, it was actually done for several reasons. The standard rods with the 5/16" seemed to be flawless up to about 650 HP (at the wheels). We had seen some go beyond that (actually up to 783 HP to the wheels). So the "old" rods were fine for 99% of the people out there. We did have a LOT of people that, for various reasons, did not torque the rods properly. The instructions say 28 ft-lbs. We had people torque them to 33 ft-lbs, 35 ft-lbs, 40 ft-lbs, even 45 ft-lbs. Basically, people did not believe that 28 ft-lbs would work. It was easy enough to slightly redesign the rod to accept a 3/8" bolt, and it wouldn't cost more - so we did it. The new rod is about 44% stronger than the old one and all we gave up was about 25 grams in weight. The new rods are overkill for what most people are doing, but the 1% who could use it before - we can now service them. And it also has a higher torque value because of the larger bolt (43 ft-lbs). So this keeps all the armchair engineers out there happy.
Basically you can say we made the change simply because people asked for it. There was no real shortcoming of the previous rod.
BTW, we have seen the new rod used up to 970 HP (at the wheels) with no issues.
Old 05-20-2004, 07:20 AM

Damn that is some great info Pete thanks.
Old 05-20-2004, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: eagle or crower rods. ive searched. (FOrSfEd)

No prob, i try to get as much info as i can.
Old 05-20-2004, 10:30 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by itr206 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i just got done Talking with Eagle again . heres what they had to say about the rod bolt change. They basically changed it to shut everyone up, like most people on here. At least thats what i got from it

Subject: Re: New 3/8 rod bolt standard

Well, it was actually done for several reasons. The standard rods with the 5/16" seemed to be flawless up to about 650 HP (at the wheels). We had seen some go beyond that (actually up to 783 HP to the wheels). So the "old" rods were fine for 99% of the people out there. We did have a LOT of people that, for various reasons, did not torque the rods properly. The instructions say 28 ft-lbs. We had people torque them to 33 ft-lbs, 35 ft-lbs, 40 ft-lbs, even 45 ft-lbs. Basically, people did not believe that 28 ft-lbs would work. It was easy enough to slightly redesign the rod to accept a 3/8" bolt, and it wouldn't cost more - so we did it. The new rod is about 44% stronger than the old one and all we gave up was about 25 grams in weight. The new rods are overkill for what most people are doing, but the 1% who could use it before - we can now service them. And it also has a higher torque value because of the larger bolt (43 ft-lbs). So this keeps all the armchair engineers out there happy.
Basically you can say we made the change simply because people asked for it. There was no real shortcoming of the previous rod.
BTW, we have seen the new rod used up to 970 HP (at the wheels) with no issues.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yep he's right.
RLZ got a set in lastweek and they hooked me up with there ONLY SET!
Old 05-20-2004, 11:31 AM
OG triple OG

Default Re: eagle or crower rods. ive searched. (Soon_2b_evil)

nice!